New 550 Owner | Page 6 | FerrariChat

New 550 Owner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rhern213, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Rich

Congratulations on your purchase!
    Have you already taken delivery on it?
    I hope the transport went or is going smooth. You will enjoy it immensely! The wait might hurt as I’m sure you’re super anxious now.

Great choice but the way for you first one. That’s a fantastic spec you happen to find.

One bit of advice, do take the time to really use it / drive it and not get caught in the groove of just driving to coffee shops or sitting in parking lots - at least not until a proper drive is done..

You will meet a lot of great people in the fold, that’s a great part of ownership!

If you ever have any questions, drop me a line..

Jason
    #jcr_cars

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rhern213 likes this.
  2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Hi Jason, yes I did take delivery a few weeks ago. I haven't taken it for a proper drive yet as I've had it in the garage to do a big cleanup and repairing little bits, should be done by next week. I will absolutely be driving it, not going to be a strictly coffee run car. Since I'm in Miami unfortunately there aren't any spirited driving roads, so to make up for that I plan to take it to track days in the future once I know everything in the car is well sorted out.

By the way I'm following your instagram page, awesome content I hope you keep it up!

Jroe550 likes this.
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Rich,

I love this thread, please keep documenting your excellent work!

-Joe

Jroe550 and rhern213 like this.
  4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good choice! That's exactly what I've been using for several years now on my 550's leather. The Chemical Guys products are pleasure to use and produce outstanding results. The CG leather conditioner is especially superb stuff. With the entire interior on Maranellos being covered in leather, it's quite a job getting it all cleaned and conditioned, but I do it twice a year...once in the fall before putting the car away for the winter, then again usually around the start of summertime.

Jroe550 and rhern213 like this.
  5. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Yup, my friend said all other companies he's tried left a finish that's either too shiny and vinyl looking, or too flat and dull. The Chemical Guys stuff left the best finish of a real leather matte satin look and making the leather nice and soft.

NE550 likes this.
  6. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Rich,

I’m sorry I didn’t see your earlier post that you got the car already! That’s good to hear. Do you have much to repair or touch up on the car?
    More cosmetic? Hope not too bad..
    Tracking the car is a lot of fun. Which track would you goto?
    (It’s definitely a good way to accelerate wearing things out quicker.)

Love to see pics of it.
    What is your Ig account?
    Cheers
    Jason

rhern213 likes this.
  7. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    It was mostly deep interior cleaning and returning things to original form, I put up a bunch of before and after pics along the way in previous posts.
    Not too bad just required some elbow grease. :)
    I use to go mostly to the Homestead Speedway and went a couple of times to Sebring. Never got the chance to go to Daytona that's next on the list.

I don't have any pics of the car on IG, my account's just business related @richelsarfati . I'm thinking of opening another account to post about car related activities but haven't decided yet.
    Thanks!

8. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You do have a few good tracks to choose from there! Good luck with that. I keep my car related SM stuff separate from personal stuff too.

rhern213 likes this.
  9. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    F456M, Harryk, Mirek and 3 others like this.
  10. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Wow! Nice improvement. I am pretty sure I looked at buying that car and passed largely because of those awful speaker boxes and not knowing what lay underneath. I am glad it turned out so well. Congratulations!

rhern213 likes this.
  11. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I appreciate you passing on it, :)

It honestly was a pretty big mess the installation was awful, but thankfully all the wiring was installed completely separate from the original system. So I had no problem with just ripping it out and not needing to splice things back together.

12. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    F456M, Il Tifoso and JOEV like this.
  13. Maranello993

Maranello993 Rookie

May 24, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Angelo McCartney
    Yes, it is time to dust off the old go pro. Maybe even worth buying a new one for it if it isn't 4k!

Mirek and rhern213 like this.
  14. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #139 rhern213, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Elvis has left the building!

In general the car drove very well. As smooth as I could've hoped for in most areas like gear shifts, clutch, acceleration, steering, etc. Temps all solid and stable in a 70-80 degree day with and without a/c. However I did have a couple of issues:
    1. It seems just a tiny bit rough at idle, sitting at about 1,000-1,100 rpm. Should this be the normal idle rev? I've always experienced idles between 500-800, never up to 1,000.
    2. The fuel pressure would easily bounce close to 140 under anything more than light acceleration over 3,000 rpms. Idle fuel pressure was perfect at 50-60, and as long as I kept the car under 3,000 rpms the fuel pressure was stable between 70-100. I attached a link with a video showing the issue if anyone would like to see. (CEL is just from a vacuum hose, already fixed, just need to clear the code).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/an9u24zY6cJFeS8Q8

I fully suspect this is due to a combo of old oil, filters, and possibly a bad sender. I think and hope this will all be good after the minor service. Until then I'll just have to keep it under 3k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, NE550 and docapl like this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Idle sounds a little high for a 550. 575Ms idle warm at around 800 rpm, but the 550 WSM says 900 rpm. Remember these engines do not develop a lot of vacuum, so need a bit higher idle.

Were you talking about fuel pressure or oil pressure? Never mind, looked at the video, oil pressure.

rhern213 likes this.
  16. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Congrats on the first drive!

These cars will hit 140psi oil pressure at WOT redline or under heavy load to maintain higher speeds, but otherwise usually hover around 70psi under average driving load. At idle it should be much lower, close to the left at ~15psi. Idle around 1000rpm is common, though I am curious about vacuum leaks possibly affecting this. I've also heard that bad oil pressure sending units are common with these cars. Have you checked the oil? Because of the dry sump system, the car needs to be at least 175F before checking. I've checked it while running and also right after shutting it off and both seem to be close in readings.

Regarding the rough idle, did you confirm the vacuum leak was fixed via smoke/leak down test? If the rough issue goes away with rpm and returns at idle it may be another vacuum leak, but I'd be curious to see what your plugs look like as well. They are pretty easy to pull on these cars, except #4 which just needs a vacuum line moved over to remove the rubber boot. The clip that holds the vacuum line can be delicate from years of heat cycling from these V12s, and it can break if not correctly un-hooked.

rhern213 likes this.
  17. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Ah, my mistake I just realized I wrote fuel pressure in my post. That's wrong I meant to say oil pressure.

18. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #143 rhern213, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Thanks! Good to know they do actually hit up to 140 under heavy load so I won't get scared when I eventually hit that mark. At idle though I read it shouldn't really go below 30-40 psi? I'll check the WSM and see what that says I haven't seen it yet, I was just going by other forum posts.

I did check the oil properly after warming up and turning the car off. It actually was over filled. I sucked out some oil through the tank top and correctly got it between min-max lines. I feel like it did slightly help, but was not really the cause.

Regarding the vacuum, there may very well be some other small leak. The one I fixed was the obvious mouse attack. I have not yet done proper engine leak down tests, spark plugs, or any of the sort. Since I'm going to take the car in for a minor service I will have them run all the tests there. I hope all of the standard fluids, filters, and plugs replacement will remedy most if not all those issues.

19. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thought I'd post up a quick small project I did today. The B-pillar covers on my car were a bit loose, when I pulled it out I noticed the teeth on the push clips were mostly broken off which led to the loose fit. Sounds easy enough, buy new clips and push them in. The annoying thing for me was needing to spend $15 on shipping for $2 worth of clips and wait 2 weeks for arrival. The other issue is you can't buy these specific clips at an auto parts store. I tried to see if with a bit of Dremel work I can take care of the issue. I managed to find a set clips that were big enough to fit into the holes and had an easy enough shape at the base to cut with a dremel. So in the end it all worked out properly and was able to fit brand new clips and have once again sturdy pillar covers. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks Richel, now I can approach it with a major confidence,

rhern213 likes this.
  21. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    niftyfivefifty, F456M and rhern213 like this.
  22. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Awesome! Please report back when you get it in and installed, would really like to hear your impressions on the bluetooth functionality.

23. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    10/4. Copy that !

24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Richel.

good to see your using the car! I saw you video and that oil pressure needle is not at all normal. You just have to replace the oil pressure sender. It is mounted right at the oil filters, and you need to take the car up on a hoist, take off the front wheels and loosen the bracket for the anti sway bar to access the oil pressure sender. I have done it two times on my car!! The needs should rise, but not like that.

The idle is at all times adjusted by the electronic ECUs for the engines. As long as the car is moving it stays at 1.500 rpm., but as soon as the car is stationary, it drops to 1.000. Once in a while I need to rev it slightly up to 3000 to make it settle at 1.000 if it stays at 12-1300...

Enjoy!

rhern213 likes this.
  25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks for the notes Erik!

I actually dropped off the car at an independent shop a few days ago to look over everything and do a full fluid and filter job. The mechanic said since the car's been sitting for a while on old oil and filters we should do that first and test the oil pressure again to rule that out before trying to replace the sender.

He also said the idle rpm's actually feel pretty normal to him, since the car has center x-pipes instead of the oem cats, that would naturally cause the rpm's to increase just a bit.

I'll report back on any and all findings of the car soon.