Daytona steering wheel restoration. | FerrariChat

Daytona steering wheel restoration.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by garybobileff, Mar 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    We were sent a steering wheel from a Daytona to restore. There were several problems, the spokes were cracked, and the steering wheel was bent, probably from people pushing on the left side of the wheel to assist themselves getting out of the car. So, the first order of business was to strip off the old leather and foam on the wheel. Then we had to remove the outer steel rim to expose the damaged aluminum center. Then, we straightened the spokes by pressing them straight in a press, and to ensure that the center was straight, we then put the center spokes on a lathe, spun them to double-check our work. This was successful. Next, the center had to be stripped of anodizing, so that was sent out for stripping. Then we had to weld up all the cracks, hand file, and sand the welds to match the center’s spokes, then we had to experiment many times to install the small textured scratch finish on the center, once we found the correct technique, that was done to match the original. The next step was to send the center out for new anodizing. Lastly, after the anodize plating was accomplished, the outer steel ring needed to be attached. Now the basic steering wheel is complete and ready to install new foam and leather. More photo’s to come upon completion.

Gary Bobileff

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus likes this.
  2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thank you for sharing this.

john

3. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The effort at times is off the chart............and alot of people would not understand - thank you for sharing what we get into at times.

out of couriousity - would you mind estimating the hrs and price this would cost to complete.......

1monza likes this.
  5. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    So far, 5.0 hours was spent in labor, $65.00 in anodize costs, and about $900.00 in leather recovering with foam = about $1,800.00.
    Gary Bobileff

srslusso and Marcel Massini like this.
  6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    For the efforts, that does not sound unreasonable.....thank you for sharing.

readplays, 375+ and Bowzer like this.
  7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I wouldn't expect anything less from you! Great Job.

srslusso and enio45 like this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Gary, what is the final grip rim thickness and which leather was used ?

9. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thickness? When I hold the wheel at 3 and 9 o"clock position, my thumbs touch my index fingers. Seriously, This wheel has already been shipped to the customer, so I do not have the ability to measure it .
    Gary Bobileff

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    No big deal. I'm just curious by nature and details interest me, some more, some less.
    Besides, I'm also always trying to learn more.

tritone likes this.
  11. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    What was the cost?

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    See post #6

13. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    There is a restored wheel in the classifieds here at good value, just so folks know.

14. Saab

Saab Rookie

Aug 5, 2011
    I was looking to have my steering wheel recovered on my Daytona and ran across this post. I had the wheel redone a few years ago based off a recommendation. Unfortunately, the stitch was black and not the correct pattern. I contacted Gary and he and his team did a fantastic job. Today, I just received my steering wheel in the mail and I am planning on mounting it to the hub this weekend. If anyone needs assistance to recover their steering wheel, I would highly recommend Gary and his team. I have attached some images of his work just below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

1monza likes this.