430 - Cold start issue | FerrariChat

430 Cold start issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by drmc, Mar 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Ever since I purchased my F430 about 1-year ago it’s had a cold start issue. When the engine is cold (car hasn’t been started for 12 hours+), upon starting the car it will splutter for 10-seconds or so before commencing a normal idle, or it will totally stall out (like in the attached video). When this happens, I turn the ignition off then straight back on again, start the car and it fires into life normally.

I took it to Ferrari and they just said this is F430 personality!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I found some old threads on the issue but no conclusions seemed to be reached.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You are very quick from turning the key to pressing the starter, give it a few more seconds. It sounds like it is not firing on 1 bank on your 1st start. Engine is controlled by 2 ECUs and system needs time to talk to each other. ,if you start mine too quick the heater will not work.

Red 27 and flash32 like this.
  3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
  4. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Not sure if it is normal, but also happens on my 360. Sometimes twice.

Kevin

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My 360 starts up first time, every time. However, if I do it quickly as Danny did it will complain,
    buck and fart and sometimes I have to shut it down and then do it slowly.
    Maybe, as Mike32 said, the ECUs need to wake up and start talking to each other.

No wonder why we refer to our cars as 'she and her'

flash32 and kes7u like this.
  6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I turn my key to the on position and wait until I get the OK on the dash. Then I press the start button. It blubbers for about 5 seconds then clears up.

I actually like the blubbering sound because I back my car into the garage and the sound resonates off the walls.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Check for vaccum line leak near the throttle bodies.

I had a slight leak near the MAF which caused it to have to restart twice and bounce the idle.

mathewr likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My previous neibour over the road came over to complain about my 430 starting up, telling me to fix the exhaust leak. My exhaust pipes pointed at his conservatory and made the glass vibrate. The next owner of the same house loves the noise it makes- u cannot please everyone

mathewr likes this.
  9. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    #9 mathewr, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Not normal.

Open Door.
    Slide in.
    Twist key
    Sit for 20 seconds or so, AFTER the OK light.
    Push the round red button.
    The car comes to life in a nice (scare the neighborhood way) Take the time to understand that you have a very very rare car.
    Don’t get in a hurry. When you leave your driveway the car will most of the work for you.
    Stoplight.
    Mercedes to your right, Dodge RAM to your left. You know where you stand in this mix, however they don’t, they just think they do. Let them take off and race each other. Fly by and throw them the piece sign.

drmc likes this.
  10. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Also make sure you keep her on a battery tender. A strong battery in our cars is a VERY key ingredient.

11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My new neighbors across the street have a dragster. I just came home and he was running it in his trailer. Love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Thanks for the replies.

- I tried turning the key then waiting ~20 seconds before pressing the start button which did not change the issue (trialled 10 times).
    - There weren't any vaccum line leak near the throttle bodies.
    - Car has a new battery and is always kept on a tender.

One thing I have noticed: the more frequently I drive her, the less rough the idle is. I went through a period of 2 months where I drove her 4-5 times per week and the start up issue went away entirely. Turn the key, press the start button and she would fire up and settle straight into a normal idle.

But now that I'm only driving her 1-2 times per week I get the stalling out problem every time I start her. The longer since her last start, the quick she stalls out.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dirty and dripping injectors will give you the symptoms you describe and the second start works perfectly because the excess fuel in the chamber has been cleared. When I had my injectors cleaned and resealed with Viton seals, the cold start problem went away. Three of them (V12, but also 7.1.1) were dripping and the others were not flowing well. Aaron was my tech. A bottle of high concentration Techron will often make a difference, and if it helps, have the injectors serviced.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

drmc likes this.
  14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ive found since leaving my car on tender it starts fine

15. drmc

drmc Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Danny
    I had my injectors cleaned about 6 weeks ago and the issue has totally gone away. Thanks Tazandjan

Qavion likes this.