308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild | Page 13 | FerrariChat

308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Happy new year everyone! I thought i give you a feedback why the Type 2/3 replacement board still is not fit for DYI installation after all these years. The good news, the circuit board and software has been completed some time ago and works quite nicely. The bad news, i still haven't found a practical calibration method to turn this into a DIY installation.

Some background about this. The first 308 Speedo, "Type 1" uses a stepper motor for the ODO counter and an independent Speedo needle moving coil driver, similar to a Tacho. As the ODO motor in the Type 1 Speedo uses fixed gears based on the version, it does not need calibration, just the right amount of pulses coming in. The needle coil driver can be independently calibrated to show the correct speed. This type of Speedo has turned out to be very precise after being calibrated, both from the ODO as well as from the speedo display.

The successor "Type 2/3" uses a simpler mechanical design and a different electronics board. The redesign from Type 1 to Type 2/3 seemed to have been mostly driven by cost reduction as the Type 2/3 design removed the needle moving coil driver from the design, and uses just one motor driving both the ODO via gears, and the Speedo needle by magnetic coupling. The problem with this is that if you calibrate the needle you also change the ODO values. The unmodified Type 2/3 Speedos i tested were usually about 10-20% higher than the expected values, e.g. if your ODO shows 50.000 miles, your car actually only ran for 40.000-45.000 miles.

This makes a simple calibration quite problematic unfortunately. If you calibrate the needle/speed display to 140 kmh/90 miles (e.g. the 12'o clock position on the faceplate) and the mechanical calibration of the needle assembly is off (it was for all speedos i tested), then your ODO might have an error in display values up to 25-50%.
    The correct way to do this calibration is to first calibrate the ODO for correct display, as example by sending 60 mph pulses for one minute which should result in exactly one mile on the ODO. And then to follow up by sending 90 mph pulses and mechanically calibrate the Speedo needle to the 90 mph position. With that approach, both the ODO and the Speedo are calibrated independently, ensuring precise display of speed and distance. But i don't think that this is a DYI approach where people not having a past as a watchmaker or model builder would have fun doing this.

So this is where i am right now, it has been a tad frustrating to try to design an easy DYI solution, as it seems there is no free cake with this one.

Just some cute development mules for entertainment...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pshoejberg, paul01 and miketuason like this.
  2. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Adrian,
    Which part of that process are you concerned is going too difficult for the DIY person:
    - Generating a 60mph equivalent freq pulse for 1 minute
    - Calibrating the speedo board to result in 1mi on the ODO
    - Generating a 90mph equivalent freq pulse
    - Mechanically adjusting the speedo needle

The first two procedures seem very similar to the current calibration method on the Type 1 (board itself generates an 80mph equiv pulse and a pot adjustment dials in the board for the speedo needle). If it's the mechanical adjustment, what is involved in mechanically adjusting the speedo needle?

3. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    If this is beyond DIY (and I don't have the electronics to generate frequency pulses at home), and Adrian doesn't have the capacity personally to offer a rebuild service, perhaps Adrian could link with some of the small vendors on the forum to help them offer a quick turnaround service for speedo rebuilds - the vendor buys the new speedo boards from Adrian, then could sell the boards to customers with a rapid turnaround install/calibrate service? One vendor in Europe, one vendor in North America, perhaps.

Just a thought in progress,
    Gordon

alhbln likes this.
  4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Jason,

the new circuit board already generates all the required calibration signals when you press the calibration button. Calibrating the ODO itself is also simple, although a bit tedious as each run requires you waiting for a minute. You need about 3-5 runs for a good calibration, maybe more if doing this for the first time.

I worry about the mechanical adjustment of the speedo needle as a DIY task. What i do is to have the board send the calibration signal for 140 kmh/90 mph to center the needle at 12'o clock. If the needle is at a different position (not calibrated), then i use a WIHA precision 2mm slotted screwdriver which i insert from the 11'o clock position into the magnetic coupling mechanism to fix the needle magnetic plate into position, then gently turn the needle to the correct position by turning it at the base. The trick is to not bent the axle by applying to much pressure with the screwdriver or break the plastic needle when correcting the position.

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  5. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Adrian,
    Got it--so the mechanical needle calibration is super delicate. I tend to agree with @GordonC that the right route would be to support a "local" service provider. In the US, I know you've worked with PA Speedo and I'm sure they'd be willing to be your NA VAR. Those guys are amazing and certainly know how to completely recondition gauges. If that doesn't work, I'm sure there are others who'd consider helping out (me included).

One quick question: why aren't the ODO and Speedo already calibrated to each other? Your design is sending pulses to the ODO stepper motor (same as the original board) and the speedo needle is magnetically coupling to that same signal. Does this mean that the speedo needle was always poorly calibrated even with the original board? Or is your signal output slightly different from the original board (pulse width, rise/fall times, amplitude, etc) such that the coupling results in a different speedo reading?

p.s. Love that you called out the WIHA screwdriver--those folks make the absolute best precision equipment. Every WIHA in my toolbox is a joy to wield.

alhbln likes this.
  6. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    The calibration of the factory unmodified Type 2/3 Speedos i had access to was quite off, both in speed display as well as in alignment to each other (ODO vs Speed). When calibrating just the needle or the ODO i discovered that the Speed display is not aligned with the ODO distance. I think it is a design flaw in just using one motor for driving both a gear and a magnetic coupling. The Type 1 Speedo way more precise from my experience.

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  7. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    In that case, then the speedo needle adjustment isn't really required--your design is simply fixing a broken speedometer gauge back to the "factory-level functionality and accuracy".

Of course, that's not a particularly satisfying result--it's always nice to improve on the original functionality. If I had a Type 2/3 gauge, I would definitely try to dial in both to be as accurate as possible.

Also curious: in your access to unmod'd Type 2/3 gauges, was the speed more accurate or the odometer? From my perspective, I'd much prefer an accurate odometer to help with monitoring engine efficiency, maintenance schedules and proper stewardship for the next caretaker of my vehicle. And since both the pulse freq-to-speed and the stepper motor response-to-freq are fixed, I'd *guess* that the odometer is always the "accurate" one (i.e. needs no calibration). But curious to hear what you've found.

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    The good ones were 10% too high, e.g. 10% faster speed and 10% more ODO. (Keep in mind that all Ferrari Speedos are calibrated to show 5-10% higher speed, similar to modern Speedos who are set up to display ~5 kmh/miles above the actual speed). But this also means that the ODO reports 10% too high mileage.
    With those instruments the speed display is less accurate than the ODO as the needle mechanism is not perfectly linear due to the needle weight and spring progression.

Anyone from Europe (to avoid customs hassle) with a broken Type2/3 Speedo who would be interested to get it fixed and calibrated for beta testing?

9. ThomasKnaus

ThomasKnaus Rookie

Jan 8, 2021
    The replacement circuit board is very interesting,
    I have a 308 GTS BJ80 with the ODO problem, but the speedometer was already
    replaced on my predecessor, which I cannot say exactly which circuit board is installed,
    I'll open the speedometer for the next few days to look .
    Can these boards still be bought?

greeting
    Thomas

10. 4valves

4valves Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm in Italy, and my type 2 is died, so I'm available to ship it if you like.

alhbln likes this.
  11. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Thomas, i'm going to build a new batch of Type 1 boards the next weeks.

Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  12. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I am interested in a Type 1 board for my '80 GTSi when they are available. Anxious to have a properly working speedo/odo.

13. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Any way to know what type of speedometer you have without dismantling it from the dashboard?

Any clues on the face etc?

14. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    '80 US GTSI (Type 1) is available for DIY install, EU GTSI (Type 2) is available but not an easy DIY install.

Triangular side indicators or jumping ODO numbers indicate a Type 1 Speedo.
    Round side indicators or flowing ODO numbers indicate a Type 2/3 Speedo.

steven_ew likes this.
  15. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    @alhbln I sent you a couple of question in email and haven't heard back after your initial reply. Not sure if there is some kind of technical issue?

16. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Hi, just overloaded with work, sorry for not getting back. If its a technical question, please post them here so we can share with the forum, or please resend the email. Sorry for the inconvenience!

waymar likes this.
  17. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    no worries, re-sent the email.

18. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Haven't got around to trying to pull the speedo until now. Can anyone tell me how the speedometer comes out of the dash in teh GT4? I can't figure out if it screws out of the front or pries out of the front, or if there is some sort of clamp in back.

19. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    There are two knurled screws at the back of the Speedo, pushing an u-shaped bracket against the back of the dashboard panel. It is possible to remove those by reaching behind the quite busy dashboard wiring, but the most comfortable way is to remove the steering wheel, then the four knurled screws of the dashboard, gently pull it a bit it front and then reach behind the back to remove the two knurled screws holding the Speedo in place.

miahshodan likes this.
  20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    On a GT4 the whole aluminum dash panel has to come out. Not for the faint of heart as the clearances are really tight with the angles of the wings of the dash and real easy to scratch the aluminum. Also the allen socket screws can corrode in the rivet nut inserts which can be a challenge to remove without drilling out. Lots of ‘while you are in there stuff’ once it is all out. Getting it all back in place is just as entertaining!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

miahshodan likes this.
  21. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    Adrian,

I emailed you as well, but I am posting here as it occurred to me others might have the same question or have the answer.

I got around to removing and opening the speedometer today and when I got to the circuit board, it doesn't match the one in the instructions. The wires are the same colors, but in different places and the components look different. Will the new board still work? See attached picture Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    For those who may be interested, Adrian replied to my email and said: "yes it should work. Your original board has a different layout but the same components as it seems. "

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  23. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    P.s. your board is a Type 0 board, a predecessor of the Type 1 board. The only difference for the installation is that this board has three (blue, orange, blue) instead of two wires coming from the ODO motor. The correct wiring is explained at the end of the installation sheet, "Wiring for very early Type 1 Speedos".

24. miahshodan

miahshodan Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I got the board all soldered up and calibrated, but when I plug it in, still no movement of the needle :( Wondering if there is a wiring issue, like maybe the speedometer isn't getting power? My mechanic told me he tested and the signal was going to the speedometer, but is there like a 12v constant power that should go to it as well? Anybody have the pinout?

25. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    If you managed to calibrate it then the Speedo should be fully functional. Either you have no power going to the Speedo (the green wire going to the connector carries +12V) or the gearbox sender or wiring (the black/red wire going to the speedo connector) is broken.

miahshodan likes this.