458 - Rattling noise from engine compartment 458 Spider | FerrariChat

458 Rattling noise from engine compartment 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Nesch18, Mar 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #1 Nesch18, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    I have a slight rattling sound coming from the engine.

I can mostly hear it from inside the cabin. Can only slightly hear it from the outside when the engine compartment is open.

It only does it when idling and it is rev depending. Rattling gets faster with higher rpm. When I get to a stop light it takes a few seconds until it starts rattling.

Did anybody have this before? What could I check?

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Way too hard to answer without an audio clip. Does it sound like an external rattle, like a piece of metal plastic tapping on something?
    Or does it sound like an internal engine rattle, more like a knock?
    Why does it take a few seconds to start? Is it because the idle comes down a little and the whole engine shakes a little causing the rattle?

I can tell you 2 common, and essentially "normal" (for this car) rattles/knocking noise that can cause concern is:
    1- The exhaust flaps sometimes make a rattling noise when closed and car sits idling
    2- There is a deep knocking rattle type noise when the car sits idling. It's very hard to locate, and almost sounds like it's coming from the front of the car (even though it's not) and it can be heard from far away as well. I'm not 100% sure what causes that noise, but I think it's caused by the EGR valve, and I hear it on all 458's. I usually hear it a minute or two after a cold start, at idle. Since you say that you hear the noise more inside the cabin, I don't think this is your noise, because I think it's much more pronounced outside, and in front of the car for some reason.

3. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    i have added a short clip(YouTube link). It doesn’t seem like it’s internal. I’d say a piece of plastic tapping something would sound correct.

4. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
  5. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    If it’s the purge valves, will they be covered by the power warranty?

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Also, wouldn't a defective flush valve cause a CEL?
    P0441 I believe

7. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I'd think so too. Another theory could be the high pressure fuel pump since its located right behind the seats. I heard it can be normal for the fuel pump to make these noises. I only can hear it inside the cabin.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wonder if it's a belt tensioner pulley? It's hard to tell from the video, tough to hear a rattle noise. However, I think I hear a belt whine type of noise. I know that a pulley that is going bad, will make a rattle type of noise.
    Did you sit in other peoples cars to compare? If it sounds like it may be right behind the seats, directly behind the firewall, it can be the pulley for the belt, or any accessory that the belt drives. It's almost impossible for us to diagnose over the internet, but we can throw ideas out blindly. If it was my car, I would put it on a lift (I'm lucky enough to have my own which obviously helps), and remove the belly pan. I would then run it and listen around underneath it. I think it may be obvious once you are under there.

SD455TA likes this.
  9. unknow

unknow Rookie

May 14, 2015
    Full Name:
    HH
    I have the same noise in my 458, did you find it?

10. Nesch18

Nesch18 Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Delaware
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    No, I just didn’t worry about it. I keep driving and have it looked at, when I bring it in for service. I am pretty sure it’s nothing to worry about. I’ll go out and enjoy.

11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Have a similar sound too. Curious if there ever was resolution to this.