328 Cam seal housing O ring leak | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 Cam seal housing O ring leak

Discussion in '308/328' started by Iain, Feb 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #26 SeattleM5, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. Cennzo

Cennzo Karting

Jan 29, 2020
    Sausalito CA
    Full Name:
    Vince Dattoli
    Question re the O ring replacement. I had what my shop thought was a leaking cam seal, but when they got in there, they said it was the O rings. And, instead of removing the cam, they "cut" the leaking O rings out, cut new ones and worked them in, glued the cut to make them one piece and put everything back. They claimed this is a common fix rather than removing the cam to do it. I was skeptical, but, "ok" if that's how it's done. Asked what sort of guarantee there was that this wouldn't stop leaking again, and they said a one year guarantee. Is this fix in fact a pretty standard procedure?

3. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I have heard of cam seal O-rings being replaced this way before on this forum, however, I don't think this would be considered standard procedure. I'm sure others smarter than I will chime in, perhaps one of the excellent techs that still frequent the site.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It is a standard procedure invented by technicians that want to beat the clock when only one o-ring needs to be replaced. It does work in most cases. But in a major service where cam timing, valve adjustment, and oil seals are needing to be replaced, removal of the cams is the best and shortest time method.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  5. Cennzo

Cennzo Karting

Jan 29, 2020
    Sausalito CA
    Full Name:
    Vince Dattoli
    Thank you both very much for your feedback! It makes me feel a bit better about this fix. FerrariChat rocks!