The Red Chinese have come up with one flaw of modern cars like Teslas--the cameras. | FerrariChat

The Red Chinese have come up with one flaw of modern cars like Teslas--the cameras.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Eyes Have it: Spy cameras in our cars

The trouble with totally modern cars, say the Tesla, is that they have cameras. Not just one. Not just two but over 20 if you get the right options,
    And the trouble with cameras is they take pictures. Oh, you needed that camera to show that car trying to cut you off on your blind side but look what the camera caught in the background--a hanger with a hypersonic drone sitting out in the noonday sun.
    That's why the Chinese have banned Teslas from entering military bases. They like the Tesla because it shows what a high tech car that China can build but now they suddenly discovered Teslas take pictures. Constantly. Of everything. Non stop.
    Hackers have already downloaded Tesla cameras in Teslas parked at some Chinese bases though no report has surfaced to the public if they saw anything they weren't supposed to, You wonder when American military installations will do the same thing (or even car companies when they have visitors in camera-festooned vehicles arrive at their proving grounds).
    So now let's go to the problem with cameras in daily life. Maybe a lawyer could answer this. Can the video footage shot on your car's camera be downloaded and used against you in court?
    What if you were speeding before you hit that truck and the download shows what constitutes reckless driving? Your own car- that car you kept in fine tune and polished weekly, rats you out. Sends you down the river.
    Car cameras should erase whenever you stop the car and shut if off. If there was no accident, then there's no need to keep the traveling footage, right?
    Then too,there's a privacy aspect. Your car, this rolling camera rig, is parked in your driveway with at least one camera showing the neighbor's house: who goes in, who goes out. 24 hours a day. Wonder if your car's camera footage will be subpoenaed in a divorce suit?
    And then , the unkindest cut of all, we now have to worry about your car being requisitioned as a watchdog to watch who but you? I was driving a 2021 Cadillac the other day when I noticed on the speedometer, it showed my speed but then a little box next to it that said in effect "Oh by the way the speed limit here is yadda yadda, in case you're interested," But if some municipality could tap into that as you drive through their town? It's only one step more to have your car notify them that you were in violation of the speed law on that street. But of course all those with low technology cars won't have to worry about that. Oh, and those yellow lights you ran? Have to look at those again, some of them could have been in violation.
    The future is no longer a long way off. Building the capability of a modern car to be a watchdog on you,yes, you-- supposedly the car's master-- is no big challenge technically. It's happening incrementally. It's just that the general public will have to decide pretty damn soon at what point The Car Has Gone Too far.
    Tiger Woods, for instance, might be wondering if it was wise to have such a high technology car. So far the electronics have revealed he never touched the brakes when he was sailing off the road in a recent early morning crash.
    It makes me wistful for the cars of the Sixties that had an engine, a trans, a rear differential and, for electronics, a radio. No cameras.
    Parents will soon be able to tune on their children driving the family car and see the same view the car sees, and maybe inside the car too (oh, the horror!).
    And of course, the map of where your child (or spouse) drove the family car will be recallable. And questions will follow i.e. "Now explain again why did you drive off the paved road into that canyon at night, etc. etc."
    All I can say is that the ubiquitiousness of the camera has changed the car's role. Before it was like a faithful farm dog, went out with you and rounded up the sheep or whatever, but now it's co-optible by a number of entities, known and unknown, and what it records on those cameras can be weaponized against us. ...
    Opinions, anyone?

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Off to P&R in 3.....2......1......