206 Dino or 365 GTB/4 | FerrariChat

206 Dino or 365 GTB/4

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jcwhancock, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcwhancock

jcwhancock Rookie

Mar 17, 2021
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Hancock
    I’m looking for some advice on a purchase. I’m considering buying either a 1968 206 GT Dino or a 365 GTB/4. Both are original and in similar very good condition. Prices are about the same. Would appreciate advice on which would likely represent a better long term financial investment. Both cars have been favorites of mine since a child in the 70s, along with the 250 SWB. As the 250 is out of my price range i would like to opt for either my second or third favorite car!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A couple of days ago you were after a 246 !

Best advice is to drive each and see what you prefer (unless you do not plan to drive in which case it doesn't really matter - fewer 206 but more market for Daytona)

NYC Fred likes this.
  3. jcwhancock

jcwhancock Rookie

Mar 17, 2021
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Hancock
    Thanks for the counsel. Yes, love the 206 or 246. Your comment about fewer 206 but more market for Daytona is most helpful. Thanks. Fully intend to drive the car whichever i get.

4. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Just curious, what color is the 206? I saw a 206 in the Chicago area in 1970/1, car was silver, and wish I had it today.

5. jcwhancock

jcwhancock Rookie

Mar 17, 2021
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Hancock
    Rossi Scuderia

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Daytona all the way for me, the classic front engine V-12

7. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    No contest.
    The 2 are just not comparable

Marcel Massini, sixcarbs and Lusso123 like this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Daytona.

sixcarbs likes this.
  9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    You say that now Howard but wait till we hear from dinoman.
    :D

cnpapa24 likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The choices are very opposite. in terms of ultimate collectability and values, the 206 has to be the car as there were far fewer made.

The driving and using - completely different. both cars are VINTAGE in the truest sense of the word, and the 206 will feel super slow, and very fragile ... even compared to a 246. I would think both cars will be super frustrating to drive in modern traffic/situations as they are marginal on cooling, torque and reliability. the Daytona is a bit easier to live with, due to ease of access to most of the engine etc... but still the same applies - they are vintage cars, great once you get going, horrible to maneuver in slow conditions.... but the Daytona is the most comfortable of them. all of them will have stiff clutches ( unless they have been retrofitted with the Dino upgrade ) they all will be hot, have some running issues - lots of carbs to synch, and ignition points etc... ( unless MSD fitted ) suspensions are hard and not very compliant - 206 especially - but oddly enough may seem the most compliant of the two... forget about AC, or comfort. you will bend to the car ... literally.

I'd have my Dino in Rosso, with black vinyl, and a wood steering wheel. I'd also remove the bumperettes - don't do much and looks far better and I'd have the headlight covers fitted if not already. I'd also have two larger Scudetto shields on the fenders. the two things that set off the 206 stylistically are the wheel spinners and outside filler cap... it just looks racy compared to the 246.

LARRYH and jcwhancock like this.
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Dino

LARRYH likes this.
  12. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Are you about money or enjoying. The Daytona would be alot more fun to drive and pretty to look at. The Dino would be pretty to look and then fun to drive. That being said. 206 is a better investment i suppose.

rossodino likes this.
  13. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I'm with Shark. Which one would I want to take on a longer drive? The days of me being able to afford a vintage 12 have long since gone.

Shark01 likes this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I don't know how many Dinos are 206s, but didn't they make in excess of 5,000 total? Versus 1,200 Daytonas? I don't see a greater than 4X demand in favor of Dinos.......although like the guy who allows his cat to sit on a Ferrari, I cannot afford either without some rich distant relative keeling over.

jcwhancock and ag512bbi like this.
  15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dayton any day of the week.

The Dino is a cute car. The Daytona is a real Ferrari GT.

16. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Daytona.

W aftermarket power steering.

jcwhancock likes this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The 206 Dino is one of the rarest Ferrari's out there. far rarer than a Daytona. both are rare in terms of cars, but the Dino is by far the rarer.

Pricing for 206's have climbed steadily where as Daytona's go up and down.. albeit always to a new higher high and higher low... But the Dino 206 is the car.

LARRYH likes this.
  18. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I wouldn’t consider a 206, but rather a 246. Imagine each car with some sensible but reversible upgrades. Electronic ignition and hidden ItBs in the Dino to make 225bhp. Power steering and electronic ignition in the Daytona. Then what do you say? Pricier difference is still there but not massive. You can afford one you can afford the other. Asking for a friend.

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Both great cars but I'd also be considering a fantastic 512 Boxer if I was you. You could probably get both a nice 246 Dino and a 512 Boxer for comparable condition 206 Dino or Daytona money.

Caphill likes this.