GTBi oil cooler ducting | FerrariChat

GTBi oil cooler ducting

Discussion in '308/328' started by mexicruiser, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi guys, did some searching but couldn’t find any info on this, my GTBi seems to have the oil cooler ducting missing, I want to put it back in but there seem to be differences on what ducting fits on the different years and markets. Anybody with a US GTBi that can share insight on the different parts that make up this system?
    Currently have no grille, no front duct on the intake scoop, no hose/bellows and no rear duct on the cooler.
    I suppose the differences are because of cooler location due tu emissions equipment?
    Any help will be appreciated, I don’t want to order stuff I can’t use but I do want the cooler to be effective as I live in a very hot region (a bit further south than Laredo, Tx.)

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Use the Spare Parts Diagrams to figure out which parts (and part numbers) are appropriate for your car.

FWIW and as I understand it, unlike Porsche, the 308 oil system is not used for cooling the engine. The oil radiator is there simply to keep the oil below its maximum operating temperature. Modern oils have much higher heat tolerance than the oils available when our cars were new so there is now an even reduced need to cool the oil.

3. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thing is the diagram isn’t clear about it, there are too many versions depending on year and market. I know I can get by without it, but I want to have the car as complete as possible before parts are not longer available.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I have an 85 Euro QV in the garage. Can lift it up and pull left rear wheel and fender skirting to take a few photos if that helps? Pretty sure it’s going to be different but it gets me out of yardwork for a bit while I’m home. ;)

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The difference between the 2 versions I have seen is how the outside air is directed thru the oil cooler. On my Euro QV it is fed thru the engine side. I have seen other (US) cars that feed the air thru the opposite side. I don't know which version belongs to which cars.

6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you very much for your offer, although it could be educational your car being an euro and QV is probably different in many ways.

7. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The parts diagram indicates no front ducting is used on US injected 2v, only the hose and rear duct, this doesn’t seem right to me.

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    IIRC, on my QV the airflow for the oil cooler was supplied by the drivers side air duct with large hose attached and then to a rear duct Bolted to the cooler.
    Had mine off while doing my crank position sensor’s couple months ago

mexicruiser likes this.
  9. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The US injected cars have (had) an air pump in front of the oil cooler, I wonder if the ducting would clear the pulleys. Anybody here has a US injected 2V car that could post a picture from the engine side?
    I would think the differences would be in the rear duct, that is why I’m not so sure about the diagrams.

10. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fitted the oil cooler shroud on the GTBi, no clearance issues, although I have deleted the air pump it doesn’t seem to be in the way of the pulley.
    I will be ordering the boot today but still need the front duct, after lengthy inspections of parts diagrams I concluded there are three part numbers: fiberglass cars (60222403), GTB (60155405) and GTS (60373602). I wonder what de differences could be? Do the spyder cars have chassis reinforcements in the area that make a different duct necessary?
    I will need to fabricate a provisional front duct while I find a used one or fabricate a replica, anybody have a spare one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

waymar likes this.
  11. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had luck and a front duct+hose came up on ebay, 60373602, It did fit correctly, although the the ducting openings are a little off, the hose compensates for this.
    I did run into an issue because the PO routed the wiring harness wrong, outboard of the fuel tank filler hose/tube, and the air duct is a very tight fit between the tank hose and the wheel well, I didn’t want to remove the tank to fix this so I had to get creative to route it correctly.