348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Not trying to throw stones, 1/2 my family is Italian. Its just different way things are done in Italy compared to N. America.

2. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    For things like window switches and fuel gauges, sure. But not typically with grenaded engines.

3. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Absolute nonsense.....

Challenge, Yassa, Bertil and 2 others like this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...makes you wonder why he hangs around on f-chat. Must be the chicks. Back on topic!

sjd

5. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I love Ferrari’s and much of the community. I’ve owned several and in general they were pleasant cars to drive, but problematic to own. Ferrari is a parts bin producer so you get a lot of garbage components. I’m mostly a Porsche guy, because of their amazing reliability and overbuilt quality. My point was that “in general” you have to expect this type of stuff owning a Ferrari. There’s a reason the 911 was just voted most dependable car, and why Fiat/Ferrari is usually at the bottom of every survey. Special cars, but a pain to own.

epb0 likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I love Porsche as well but they are no Lexus either. My first 993 included a 2" thick binder of repair orders.

And then you have the 996 which was towards the end of F355 era which is the front half of a Boxster, IMS failures, D-chunk cylinders, cracked heads, bore scoring, etc/etc.

I suppose that would all be considered amazing build quality and engineering? LMAO, you gotta be kidding me.

Yassa and albert328gts like this.
  7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Get rid of it. Be happy. Get a new C8. Got mine this past week.

chas-3 likes this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #133 Ferrarium, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Hmmm interesting yes... ahh but then one needs to grow a mustache, a beer belly and wear NSACAR caps with flames (likely white checker cap with blue flames) and put a "Merica that's why" vinyl sticker on the rear window and put the license plate inside a Dale Earnhardt frame.

Ahh perhaps bald and Hawaiian shirts? OK its a generalization yes, a stereo type if you will. But.... it works.

I wonder of Ferrari guys go to Vette forums and tell them to get Ferraris? I suspect not.

desmomini likes this.
  9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    He's here for the chicks too. :p

sjd

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    :eek: The C8 needs a buttectomy.:rolleyes::D

11. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I'm not so sure about "overbuilt quality" either. I love Boxsters and owed a few, their tops seal nicely around the windows (far better than my 355's top), but they don't seal well around the body. Rain gets in to the area beneath/behind the top and if the drains aren't clear the water enters the cabin, comes down the firewall and soaks the floor under the seats - where the ECUs are stored. :confused:

12. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Sorry for the OP... Overall an interesting read through. So 30% car to value ratio, what are we talking here, approx $20k to repair and you have a fresh major done. Seems like you just got unlucky, it happens in life. Hard not to be upset.

axarunner likes this.
  13. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Do you have any pictures yet?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Porsche build quality?

The same era 1992 Porsche 964 engine I have right now in the garage has an oil leak through the nose bearing seal which cannot be stopped unless the engine is ... split apart. Its cousin the 1989 Porsche 964 C4 had a broken Dilavar head stud that required the engine to be stripped down to the case so the 24 head studs can be replaced.

bcar1 likes this.
  15. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    Not yet. I managed to locate a used '92 348 motor which will replace my original '90 motor... mileage difference is just 5K miles... it will gone over carefully before being installed into my TS. Mechanically the car will be great... time to sell?

krazykarguy likes this.
  16. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Dan - I suggest you double down - you'll have a car with a fresh rebuilt engine. you only live once man.

26street and axarunner like this.
  17. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    #142 xpensivewino, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    You need to save your family in New York, and you’re in California. You have to rely on one vehicle to make the trek non stop. Do you get in a Ferrari 348 or a Porsche 911??....lol

epb0 and 26street like this.
  18. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    FWIW - I’ve owned one of my 993s for 23 years and the other for 9 years. Put on about 100k miles between the 2 of them. Most reliable cars I’ve ever had. Even better than some Japanese cars I’ve owned. They just work. That said, the newer Porsches are not made to the same standard.

But I love my Ferraris. They’re worth the extra trouble.

Jakuzzi and QSA like this.
  19. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Every bit of this is true. Also have a 993 I've owned for 15 years and put 100K miles on and it's been bulletproof. The newer 911's are made out of plastic. And the Ferraris are worth the trouble.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  20. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    It's funny how my "blown engine" thread has been hijacked... but I also have a 2013 Aston Martin Vantage S (manual) which I originally leased and now own and I've been very happy with that car as its been very reliable. It's slightly modified to 470 hp but I'm considering supercharging it to 600 +/- hp.

Julia and Targatime like this.
  21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    First why am I driving?

If I have to drive and those are my options , 911 if it's a 993. 348 if it's a 996.

Jakuzzi, GatedF355GTB and bjwhite like this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Funny but right on point.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  23. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Congrats on locating a motor!

I keep visiting this thread looking for some definitive photographic documentation for the failure. I read your post about the cam and buckets. Still hoping you will provide more information to help the group preserve the 348 fleet.

axarunner, Koenig1 and Augustin like this.
  24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Me too, along with everyone else here I suppose.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    But the golf clubs! Where will you put the golf clubs? :D

axarunner and Jakuzzi like this.