Watts wrong or right with this HGTE at a great price ? | FerrariChat

Watts wrong or right with this HGTE at a great price ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by LightGuy, Mar 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Euro or Mid-East model converted to US specs. Usually, those seats have HGTE stitched on the headrest, but perhaps the stitched Cavallino replaced that. Would want a photo of the exhaust tailpipes to ensure she is an HGTE, plus a look at the build sheet.

3. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    This is one that was originally in Dubai I believe and brought to US. I called on it 6 months ago or so (same seller) and I believe it had been federalized and just sold. I was interested but it was no longer available.

If it is for sale now the sale must’ve fallen thru or the buyer enlisted the same dealer/broker to sell it.

4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looks like it has SA Aperta headlights?

SonomaRik and George Vosburgh like this.
  5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's a great looking car at a great price. A little bit of a crap shoot with so little information.

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    On the link, go to picture #4 and click on expand image, which confirms it is a HGTE vehicle.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Definitely need to verify with a build sheet. This car lacks a lot of HGTE stuff; it could have been all custom order but I doubt it. To list a few: Red calipers, not yellow. Yellow tach, not white. No sticking on the seats. Leather center console, not CF.

gstudent likes this.
  8. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Affirmative on the exhaust, definitely HGTE.

Skidkid likes this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, HGTE exhaust but that doesn't mean it is an HGTE.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  10. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Agreed, too much Hgte stuff missing ; registered G 78978 in Dubai before to come to USA. If it is an OEM Hgte, the buyer had to order for different seats and yellow tach. Possible but unusual. Build sheet or invoice is the must.

gstudent and Skidkid like this.
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Speaking for HGTE :
    wheels
    mufflers
    grille
    Carbon F1 console
    Carbon part over the Radio
    Alcantara inlays in the seats

Speaking against HGTE :
    no HGTE stitching
    Yellow tach
    Calipers red ???

Most significant for me :
    The Alcantara middle section in the seats.
    Were Alcantara inlays in the seats possible for a normal GTB ?
    I think no.

Daniel

12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Still really confused by the headlights.

13. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

What about the shocks? Are they standard or real HGTE shocks? That's one of the most expensive pieces to change out.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Same shocks in the standard and HGTE 599s. Different shock/body ECU, springs, and rear anti-roll bar.

Skidkid likes this.
  15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #15 Hawkeye, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    I ordered my HGTE new and changed the tachometer color and removed the stitching from the seats, etc... This has the HGTE front grille and the exhaust system, those are two pretty big indicators that it is an HGTE. The Extra Campionario order sheets can be filled out by you and dealer and sent to Maranello for approval or denial, which takes about 72 hours or less to get a decision (except during August). Stitching, tach, carbon fiber component interior and caliper colors are all approved changes to HGTE spec.

EDIT: Look how high that chassis number is 187689! Mine is 171769 My GTO was 177202 so this HGTE was built alongside GTOs and Apertas, no chance is a regular GTB, none. They could very well have used Aperta headlight buckets for this car.

599_GTO likes this.
  16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I would go as far as to say this HGTE was made as a favor to someone with significant pull at the factory. I highly doubt they would have done a two tone roof on my car if I would have requested, but the GTOs and Aperta's were in full production when this car was made.

SonomaRik likes this.
  17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I asked about the Alcantara inserts in the seats, in my opinion not available for the normal GTB and if so, another HGTE detail.

Can anybody confirm this ?

Daniel

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    The inserts were part of the original and upgrade [dealership] portion of the HGTE. Lack of the HGTE lettering makes me wonder but as said, someone decided above not to include. Not sure how that is done other than to remove after acquisition, but not sure.

What throws me is the grill and headlights and passenger seat 'hole' near the headrest. But ours is a 2008 and perhaps that was a modification to that year.

The two tone is not 'kosher' IMO

DZ-96 likes this.
  19. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Gents,

I own a 2011 HGTE #181079 (factory released May 2011) as reference and I can clearly agree that this thread's subject eBay-advertised car in North Carolina certifiably has a genuine factory HGTE installed option, not dealer-installed. ;)

My car has the same "hole" on the passenger's (Recaro-supplied) full race seats (standard feature of all HGTE full race seats in CF) and mine also does not have the "Handling GTE" embroidered emblem, which was a 'delete' factory option. My car also has the yellow tach face, which can be ordered at the factory as pre-selected by the buyer, even though a white tach face was standard for HGTE's. My car's brake calipers are also matching Rosso Corsa which is again a buyer selected option.

The alcantara seat inserts were standard on all factory HGTE's, but any customer can pre-order full leather Daytona seats (I've actually seen one in a 2010 HGTE with a beautiful brown/Iroko interior and Grigio Ferro exterior advertised by Marshall Goldman Ohio in mid-to-late 2018), if desired, even though that defeats the purpose of the much lighter alcantara material.

That car is a very late 2011 model given its VIN #187689 and as noted before, assembled alongside 599 GTO's, 599 Gonzales', 599 Alonso's and 599 Aperta SA, so it would've been easy to preorder the two-tone paint scheme. It was close to the last year of 599 production (model end 2012 HGTE's were only sold and issued in the EU) and by that time, the sales department and factory were becoming more amenable to customer demands as a precursor to the eventual Tailor Made program. All it took was moolah $$$ to pay for the customers' desires to make them happy! :D

If I recall correctly when I saw that ad in eBay before this thread started, that car might've had a Salvage title :eek: and that it was imported from the ME clarifies why the asking price was so low for a low mileage, small production 2011 HGTE.

BTW, there's another 2011 HGTE #178918 advertised right now on eBay (asking $157,995) with a "Salvage/Rebuilt, Rebuildable & Reconstructed" title yet the ad also states it's had "no accidents" (maybe a lemon?).

599_GTO and brogenville like this.
  20. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I spoke to the owner of 178918. He said that the car was in a warehouse when the roof collapsed. It sounded like the car required new glass, some metalwork and a paint job. The car was apparently written off by the insurance company and a salvage title was issued. I suspect that this is a good car except for the troubled history.