F430 key remote only works when cover is off | FerrariChat

F430 key remote only works when cover is off

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zhangster, Mar 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    I have a weird problem. The car is not responding to the remote. I removed the cover and verified that battery voltage is excellent. I also found that when the key fob cover is off, the remote works. As soon as I put the cover back on the remote stops working.

I think the cover is messing with the position or contact of the batteries. I tried a few different battery positions, but to no avail. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks a bunch.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Battery contact issues are a common problem. I don't know if I had quite the same problem as you, but I solved mine by putting a few folds of paper under the battery. It seemed to reposition the battery and give it better contact.

3. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    Thank you. I'll keep messing with the contacts and see if anything helps.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    On the 360 there was an upgrade you could do by moving the antenna to improve distance. I did it on my car and it helped a lot. Could be a similar situation on the 430 as well.

Ray

5. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    Thanks. I was literally standing right next to the car. This seems like a battery contact issue. I stuffed a wad of paper in the key and it helped for couple hours and then it stopped working again.

6. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    That "upgrade" is explained here, tip at the end Ferrari Fobs 101

7. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sometimes the sprung metal tabs that press against and make contact with the battery lost their springiness and don't provide enough pressure against the battery to make contact.
    You can fix this by taking the battery out, getting a very small flat screwdriver, and bending the tabs out slightly.
    They should press tightly against the battery when you put it back in. Be careful not to overdo it. Only pry/bend in a direction that wont break the circuit board or plastic mounts.

Sometimes there is oxidation or corrosion on the tabs that should be cleaned. A #2 pencil eraser works well for this.
    Sometimes stress or vibration cause cold solder joints on the circuit board. This requires a solder reflow.

Qavion likes this.
  8. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    Thank you all

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just after I posted my response, I decided to replace the batteries in my keyfobs and one of them didn't respond :rolleyes: Indeed, it was a soldered joint problem on one of the battery contacts.

It's difficult to get enough heat into the joint because the battery contact is conducting the heat away. You need a soldering iron big enough to heat up the battery contact, but not big enough to damage the circuit board.