Sebring Coverage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sebring Coverage

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Sharknose, Feb 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Interesting race.

I’m hard pressed to remember the outcome of all classes being dictated by so much on-track contact.

Coverage was okay, still trying to figure out why Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is commenting but he seems like a nice
    enough guy and he keeps his fanbase tuned in. Streaming part worked fine here for once.

Wish I could have joined friends there but recent heart surgery removed me from the game for a while.

BHW

mdrums and Nembo1777 like this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hope you are recovering well.
    I tried to find Live streaming but no luck Saw the first fifteen minutes taped on UTube, wish there was a highlight video. Seems like there was lots of contact....

I wish Ferrari had a proper structure for its GT clients like there is for the Porkers: a semi with parts and staff to back up teams. If they took care of them they would still exist!

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, when they announced on NBCS that The Race was going on their streaming service from noon
    until 7:00PM, it was like "Here we go again..." disappointment as we've learned from the past, this is usually
    a train wreck.

However, the streaming worked out just fine and had only one interruption which was probably due to
    the modem clicking off for a second. I just got a new Mac Book Pro this week so it gave me the chance
    to get things fine-tuned while watching the stream.

The Risi team seems to pick and choose what events they want to run. Given Mr. Risi's success in
    the big endurance races, it's surprising that he chose not to contest Sebring. Suppose we may put
    down to Covid that AF Corse (or more of the European teams) did not send a car or two over as they
    usually do for Daytona.

Recovery goes well but to go pounding around on those old runways all day/night would have set progress back a good bit. There's always next year.

BHW

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    IMSA should have the full race replay on YouTube in a day or 2 with the IMSA radio commentary.

Sent from my SM-G970U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The part that really bothered me was how hard the #48 was racing at the end. They new for hours they would be DQ'd due to drive time. They were racing like they had a chance to win at the end. They should have let the leaders go and battle it out.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks!:)

7. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I think they were racing for the trophy, they just wouldn't get the points. Or the reverse, I forget. It was a question that was asked during the broadcast

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

They weren't going to get either. I guess they could claim they won, even though they didn't. I just saw it as being similar to when a car multiple laps down tries to race the leaders. I think at that point they needed to get out of the way.

9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Check IMSA rules....I'm kinda guessing the participants know more about the rules than you or I....my apologies if you were a participant.
    Nope, I don't like the rules....but here we are.

10. By the looks of things
    ( http://imsa.alkamelsystems.com/Results/21_2021/05_Sebring%20International%20Raceway/01_IMSA%20WeatherTech%20SportsCar%20Championships/202103201010_Race/12_Hour%2012/03_Results_Race_Provisional.PDF

http://imsa.alkamelsystems.com/Results/21_2021/05_Sebring%20International%20Raceway/01_IMSA%20WeatherTech%20SportsCar%20Championships/00_Championship%20Points%20-%20Provisional.pdf )
    they get last place points in their class (7th, disqualified) even though they turned enough laps to finish 5th.
    Therefore I'm assuming even if they had turned enough laps to podium, they wouldn't have been awarded that position either, so no trophy. I guess they were just running as a test run.
    Or, perhaps, even thinking of winning a "protest" of the DQ afterwards, thus attempting to do the best they could? Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    How could there have been such a cock-up on this?

Guessing, since Jimmie Johnson was the weak link in the deal (two pre-race incidents and one in-race
    incident) that they had to make up for the gaffes by getting Pagenaud and Kobayashi in as much as possible.

But, as was continually pointed out during the broadcast, Chad Knauss was making the strategy calls in the
    pits. With all due respect to Knauss, what does he know about sports car racing?

BHW

12. Agree with all the above, but what I don't know is.....was Pag in the car 'til a yellow then stop? I mean, would he have been out of the car before the 50 sec. overtime for his stint if it was green? (I didn't watch the whole thing)
    Stuff one needs to think through before throwing stones.... ;)

13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I went over on Friday and stayed till Saturday 3:30pm drove home and watched the rest on TV. I have zero issues streaming the race on NBC Sports Gold on the 2hr drive home and then at home until it came back on network cable at 7pm. It all worked well.

Zero Ferrari's in the field this year...really really disappointing. So I was pulling for Porsche, the GTD Aston Martin and the Corvette's...then what do you know happens at the end... the same #25 BMW that took out the Weather Tech Ferrari from winning in October 2020 Sebring and that also wrecked people at Daytona....punts the #3 leading Corvette right off the track at Turn 7. Just slams the Vette and broke the rear suspension.

Then on Twitter and other social media outlets Bobby Rahal spouts off that he see's no issues in how his drivers race!!! I had higher respect for Bobby Rahal until that comment as it is totally obvious that his drivers, Spengler, De Phillippi and Eng have driver decision racing issues!

14. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    @ BartonWorkman Get well soon. We have a great group at 13 (tower turn) and lots of fun and some shenanigans. Stop buy any day from Wednesday on. @ Ky1e I'm eating my hat...you got it correct with the Porsche, both classes. 8min left and De Phillippi lost his mind! Easily had a second or third. Cough .. cough the brim is extra tough to choke down.

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Multiple times per season teams mess up the drive times and that team gets moved to last in class. It is one of the more straight forward rules that IMSA has. There was an interview with the team (Jimmie Johnson maybe?) right after Simon got out. They said in the interview at that time they were over on drive time. They knew for a long time they were screwed.

16. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Remember when racing was when the fastest car won? <sarcasm>
    You are welcome to win this argument; I don't stand a chance vs. BOP changes every race, drive time limits, and a multitude of other rules.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am not saying I like it, I just get that it is what it is for right now. Would love to see more open rule books and less procedural penalties.