Skip Barber is back | FerrariChat

Skip Barber is back

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by sainthoo, Mar 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Son attended Road Atlanta 3-dat Racing school. Under new management they haven’t missed a beat, same high quality instruction and curriculum. He learned a ton and loved it.

308 GTB, Texas Forever and Nicolas21 like this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m glad he had a good time.

To say that they haven’t missed a beat is hugely inaccurate!

Matt

3. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I did the school about 10 years ago. My son did the school this week. Other than cars, similar experience. I’d say they didn’t miss a beat. If you are referring to the new ownership/ bankruptcy, well, no kidding- kinda the point of my post: still great despite troubles.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I did Intro to Open Wheel in 1999 and Advanced Open Wheel in 2003. Both at Mid-Ohio.

They offer neither course today, and are no longer welcome at Mid-Ohio. They liquidated their poorly maintained cars a few years ago.

They skipped a lot of beats.

Matt

5. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So, open wheels is the issue or your preferred track. The also stopped using MX-5, so what.

Open wheel racing is not exactly popular. Would you have them cater to a dying segment so they can go bankrupt again?

The instruction they offer is top notch for the novice. Which, again, is the entire point of my post.
    For anyone that is committed to open wheels or Mid-Ohio, you might be disappointed I guess. Everyone else will have a great experience.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m glad he had a good time.

To say that they haven’t missed a beat is hugely inaccurate!

Matt

7. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    Just to be clear, I think there is still a formula car option with Skippy. I'm not sure of the exact curriculum, but they have a bunch of F4-like cars and a race series that runs on some IMSA weekends.

And they have lost a lot of their instructors to the rival Lucas Oil School of Racing. I don't know how or if that has any effect on the quality of the instruction.

One addition that they've made that is really interesting to me is that they have a pathway to work you into semi-pro racing via TC America if you are more serious.

8. mattexplore

mattexplore Rookie

Mar 1, 2021
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matthew Scott
    They lost a bunch of their instructors to Lucas because when they went bankrupt, they stiffed them. These are salt of the earth guys and it really screwed them.

The “new” Skip Barber is basically just a name acquired at auction.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    99% agree. But according to their website, Terry Earwood is back and so are Bruce MacInnes and Don Kutshall.

Oh, and if anyone misses the old R/T-2000 Formula cars, Bertil Roos shows on their website that they have a few based at Palm Beach International.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I don't know that I would say open-wheel is not exactly popular - its just the USA does a terrible job with it. I did Skippy back in the late 80's at Lime Rock when Skip was there... ( He was crusty back then can't imagine him today. ) they had BMW's and FF's then... it was fun. can't remember the instructor's name I had - Bill was the only name I remember.