458 - Ferrari 458 Seat Options Explained | FerrariChat

458 Ferrari 458 Seat Options Explained

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by intownrunner, Mar 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intownrunner

intownrunner Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi All, I am looking to purchase my first Ferrari and looking at the 458. I am one (probably like many here) that enjoys the research.

To help others, I created this post about Ferrari 458 Seat Options
    https://stevenjohnson.me/cars/ferrari-458-seat-options/

Would love to know what everyone thinks. Did I get it right? Anything else to add to the post? Any information incorrect? All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Other posts about Paint Colors, Interior Colors, Parking Options, and other features are in progress.

Thanks again! -- Steven

ShadowLAP, Jaguar36, Jason B and 3 others like this.
  2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I've seen blue thread, at least on the Cavallino.
    I'd drop one of the two sections that describe the seat controls, but thanks, nice page!

intownrunner likes this.
  3. intownrunner

intownrunner Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks so much!
    I will clean up the seat control stuff, some times I can over explain. just ask my wife and kids. :)

4. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Steven, first of all thanks for putting this together. Really cool! Like you, I love the research stage when buying a car (I call it the 'hunt'), specially if it's a Ferrari! I wish I'd run into your page before I bought mine.

One thing I missed from your page is a section dedicated to WHY you'd choose one model or another. I'd write about the potential use cases. For me, I made a mistake in buying the seats I have - see picture. While I'm very happy with my Ferrari overall experience so far (458 spider, 1st Ferrari and bought back in Oct 2020), I really wish I had purchased the CF racing seats. I'm not too worried about looks (mine are gorgeous). But the fact is that I like to really drive my cars, often hard and track them too. I also own a GT3 with comfort seats but they hug me much more and the bolsters give me better support than the 458 fully electric ones.

Based on this, I should have gone for the racing seats. I know... this was silly on my part and I should have known about it and certainly test driven both options. I simply took for granted that the fully electric ones would have been supportive enough, just like the GT3s. Will not make that mistake again.

Here's another piece of info for your page: It's important to make the right call because changing the seats is not an easy task. There are threads dedicated to it and it seems Ferrari makes it very hard. So I'd love to change mine, but I don't think I'd be 100% certain it can be done and keep all the electronics working properly. Not even my Ferrari dealership has confirmed this for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. intownrunner

intownrunner Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    @Petrolhead#32 Thanks for the insight. You hit on a key section I was missing. I have lots of details but not much insight. I will work on getting that added.

Also love the idea about swapping seat styles. I too am interested in carbon racing seat. Should I get a a car that has electric seats, I was thinking of changing them.

The cost is one thing but ensuring that it all works is entirely different. Lots of info out there but does not seem to be one definitive answers.

Thanks again for you input. I am working to update the post.

-- Steven

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  6. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    From the research I've done, it's certainly best to buy the car with racing seats rather than trying to change them afterwards. My next Ferrari will certainly have them.

7. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Thank you to both petrolhead#32 and intownrunner. It is great when people go to the effort to produce this kind of research. Well done!
    PS I have found the CF seats work for trips on the 'twisties' and on long distant runs.

8. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    Wow, what a fantastic encyclopedia for 458 seat options. Well done!

It was a $2,400 option, but with the CF seats you could get a manual height adjustment lever that raises the seat. Otherwise all you can do is move the CF seat forward or backwards. Seat height is not an issue for most guys here, but if you are short, or have a short partner who would like to drive the car, the manual height adjustment lever is a nice thing to have (it should have been standard with the CF seats but Ferrari knows how to squeeze every dollar out of every customer. I wish I had this in my car. I don't believe you referenced this option in your write-up.

9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    You did a fantastic job. When I was looking for a car I told myself I would only have racing seats, no question, no debate, the end. Keep in mind this was before I got to sit in the seats or see them IN PERSON. The racing seats look incredible in pictures but in person not as cool as I wished. I was surprised by this and encourage anyone looking at these cars to definitely look and sit in the seats before you make your decision, you may not know what you’re missing.

I drove two cars, one with the Daytona seats and one with the racing seats. The Daytona seats are absolutely incredibly comfortable, not to say that the racing seats weren’t, just not as much. In person I fell in love with the Daytona which I thought I wouldn’t like in person. Just another perspective here and not trying to single out someone’s decision. I am a very anal person and thorough with checking all options. I like how the Daytona are a timeless classic seat in the last timeless/classic/sporty Ferrari NA V8.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Curious if F8 seats are interchangeable with 458 seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Nice summary of the seat options. You might have missed this. On my F8 carbon racing seats, there is a lever on the left side of the driver seat, that I can toggle up or down that raises or lowers the seat manually. It is not on the passenger seat.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    One other item - You talk about the Cavallino stitched on the headrest. You could have ordered them in two sizes "standard" (might be small) and large. In your pictures you can see there are two sizes. Just an FYI

13. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    Also note that one benefit of non-electric seats is the ability to slide the seat back and forth really quickly. I'm only 5'8" but prefer to slide my seat all of the way back on all of my cars ('99m3, '11 m3, '05 elise, '15 speciale) for easier ingress/egress....it also saves wear on the side bolsters. You wouldn't really do that with an electric seat because whirrrrr whirrrrr whirrrrr.....you'd be there all day and probably accelerate wear on the motor which is probably $$$.