Opinions on F8 Coupe or Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinions on F8 Coupe or Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Glenn Quagmire, Jan 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Rarity will drive the value not popularity......look at history...it may take many years but anything produced in lower quantities is always more coveted....Rolex red submariners and double red sea dwellers are much more valuable than other subs and sea dwellers....
    If the Pista is indeed lower volume it should grow in value....but so will the F8 coupe......Same award winning engine and more of an everyday sports car....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion....but history always wins out.....the only way to find out is to wait...

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Logic may have more value in my eyes than denial backed up by experience ;)

3. Apatel219

Apatel219 Rookie

Nov 6, 2016

I have had 458 spider a 488 spider but I personally think the F8 looks better in a coupe. It is a hard decision for me as well but I am going with a coupe I drive mostly with the top up not down.

GT2goneF likes this.
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #29 IloveGT, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    you are back with this kind of nonsensical comments again - generalizing spyder drivers don't drive as fast or hard. Am I reading too much into what you said, maybe, but your reputation truly is out there.

Driving fast in straight smooth surface is the same as coupe and open top. I currently have two open top, 4c spider and 718 spider as well as 458 coupe and FF. I would not speed differently based on the car type but rather the road type. Tons of spyder in tracks.

I have test driven the F8 spyder, love how it looks better than coupe to my eyes only. Don't worry about the noise, like many said, they are not really there to begin with. Pick the one that appeases your eyes the most.

Chizz likes this.
  5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I’ve read that in several places here, but three salesmen at our dealership have all told me they did not have a ‘22 end date in their info.

TheMayor likes this.
  6. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    My thinking is why not have the best of both worlds by having a hard top convertible. There is some styling difference but they are both works of art. Plus when you are driving with the top up 99% of onlookers would not know the difference. Now if you are talking the difference between a 911 cab or coupe.., that’s a big difference.

7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Coupe for me all the way.

8. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Lol, this may be the first time I have disagreed with any of your posts!

dustman and GT2goneF like this.
  9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    First of all... I said: "Coupe FOR ME, all the way". Can't disagree with me for what I want. You can for what you like. Second, I can not fault you for not knowing any better.... Third... I am KIDDING!!!

I am a very practical and a not convertible kind of guy. I don't think I would drive it top down at all or hardly ever. In addition, it weighs down the performance in chassis stability and weight (pun non intended, or maybe a little). HOWEVER, if I ever were to get a convertible, I agree that the F8 would be the first pick and maybe the only (since I can't afford a 918 Spider). My only other second choice would be the 812 GTS. I find that any other convertible looks weird, wrong and/or non "pretty" and I am not mentioning any examples because then this thread would for sure be hijacked and probably renamed in my dishonor. With regards to my view in practicality, in addition to the Spider is about 30k more (for more weight and a less stable vehicle), you also have a very expensive mechanical system that if it malfunctions or breaks, you will be in dire situations, likely pretty far away from a dealership and left with a very expensive repair.

Mis dos centavos...

Chizz likes this.
  10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    That was a very insightful well thought out post. Here is my equally in depth response: I prefer a spider because I’m just to dang good looking not to share me with world.
    (Just so you know my wife is laughing incredulously right now)

buddyg and GT2goneF like this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I'm sure she isn't the only one laughing! Always good to have a sense of humor and overestimated self sense. Gets you by living in your own Matrix. LOL

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chizz likes this.
  12. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    and for the record I wasn’t overestimating!!! Lol!!!

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    yes 458 spider had it very noticeable. i first thought something was broken with the car when I first drove it after the coupe.

to me it feels like pista is for the track, f8 spider is for regular use and f8 coupe does not have any place at all :)

just kidding, all are great cars. any choice is a good choice.

Chizz likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Ouch!!! Admin, or @SoCal to az please ban this person from the thread. "Unnecessary roughness"!

Chizz likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You are banned for asking me to ban someone. :)

16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Ruthless and disloyal pink slip slipper! Ban yourself! LOL

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Oh no not the banning palooza again! SoCal and GT2 your both banned for mentioning Banning!

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I love convertibles but for me the engine under glass (especially with the F40 style glass) was too hard to pass up.

That's why I went coupe on the F8 but still needed some convertible love and got the 911 turbo S in Cab.

Best of both worlds!

GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  19. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The cancel culture has arrived to FerrariChat!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and there’s quite a bit of little knowledge going on here. You may or may not notice cowl/scuttle shake but in any modern car you’d need to be looking for it to notice it.

Anyone who claims it would affect their ability to pilot a car as capable as a 16M or a Pista Spider would need to be a pro racer.

A 458 Spider, one example, is more rigid than a 360 coupe and more than twice as rigid (torsional rigidity) as a 355 coupe. Maybe I’ve been looking in the wrong places over the years but the number of people I have seen complaining about twist and shake in a 355 or 360 coupe is zero. Any Ferrari coupe from before that era, including racers, is going to be more wobbly than a 458 Spider. Not a concern for Fangio.

of course we judge cars by their own times, but I wonder if some critics have taken the time to do rudimentary research if they haven’t driven the cars. The 488 spider has the same torsional rigidity as the coupe roof up.

I agree it’s noticeable driving a Macca that there is no difference between roof up and down. I own a gated 430 coupe and spider and I can by contrast tell the difference, but it doesn’t bother me or the ability of the spider to really fly.

Anyone who thinks a 16M or a Pista isn’t a supercar because they are open top, well..hahaha

SVCalifornia likes this.
  21. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Strictly comparing only structural rigidity, how does the F8 coupe compare with the F8 spider with the top up?
    Are they equivalent in terms of body flex/cowl shake etc?

I have not driven the F8 coupe, but I had the 488 GTB before the F8 Spider.
    With the top up, the structural rigidity seems equal to me.
    But I am not comparing apples to apples