360 - Crush Washer Availability | FerrariChat

360 Crush Washer Availability

Discussion in '360/430' started by lkstaack, Mar 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Both Ricambi and Eurospares don't show availability for the banjo bolt crush washers (145192) used for the transmission to heat exchanger lines. Scuderia Car Parts is selling this modest copper washer for almost $9! Does anyone know of a suitable (and affordable) replacement? Are the old copper washers just being reused?

The WSM advises to remove the hose from the transmission as part of a gearbox oil change. I doubt many do it. With two small washers costing $18, I doubt that I will do it too.

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Copper washers can be heated and softened for re-use. Google it. Yes, copper washers can be used again and again. Heat it cherry red and let it slowly cool. No water quenching. You can sand the washers flat to remove the crush indentations but I have done it several times, sanding flat and not, on oil and trans washers as well as SU carb fuel line banjos and do not recall any leaks.
    A copper washer is a copper washer so it seems like any copper washer the same size will work. Napa might have the exact same washers. Is "Ferrari" copper magic? If there is something special about these washers please tell me but I doubt it.

3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I did it once as I was preventively replacing my Heat Exchanger... The extra quantity you get out of it is so small (even when sending pressurized air on one end)... Unless you really need to do a flush because of oil contamination, I wouldn't bother.
    (There's enough shops that are not even taking the filter out because the bumper has to come out)

FYI, the washers are copper and some rubber on the ID if I recall. I don't see why you couldn't use a straight copper washer of the right size... I recall replacing them with OEM parts, they were expensive, like $5 each from eurospares and I replaced all 8!

YMMV: If you really feel like doing it, I'm pretty sure you can reuse them at least once and be fine. Super easy to monitor for leak and if it does it will be minimal and simple to fix.

Enjoy!

lkstaack likes this.
  4. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    That's good to know. Thank you for the advice.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The banjo washers have a plastic / rubber inside of them - not sure if you can heat those up !

lkstaack likes this.
  6. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I know you're right. However, this is my first Ferrari and my first time working on it. I want to enjoy the experience......before it turns to hell.

7. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Check mcmaster carr they will have stuff like this

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    heating the copper washer is called annealing it. It works as stated.

Harbor Freight sells copper washer kits for next to nothing. You will have pennies in replacements.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #9 mike32, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    If it is an alloy or steel ring with a rubber internal, it proper name is a dowty seal, same as used on hydraulic banjo bolt fittings.

THINKFAST likes this.
  10. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    Thanks Mike for the proper terminology. I never knew that.... Now I know.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They are a UK invention, they come in metric and imperial sizes. You can buy a box of them in an assortment of sizes. Far better than copper washers as you dont need to tighten them as much as copper. Try Amazon as they list them in the uk

12. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    After I posted about annealing the copper washers, I thought about the "dowty" type seals that I may have used on an old EType Jag? Not on Ferrari?

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They use them on hydraulics running very high psi, well above ferrari pressures. Really depends on what was fitted originally
    Pointless annealing washers as multi size box sets cheap enough

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I feel you, brother ...

15. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Can heat or sand. They are easy to reuse. It just takes time, so if you are getting paid by the hour, you use new and bill the customer.

16. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    I was just about to pull the trigger on some 145192's from allferrariparts, quoted me 4 bucks each +$20 shipping

I see lots of options online but don't know the spec

Anyone found a suitable replacement? Or know the thickness, ID and OD size and material? I presume they're steel surrounding rubber?

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Amazon sells crush washers and Dowty seals. It looks like 50 of various sizes for $20.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Correction, 156 pieces for $22

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    you can get a Dowty washer from a local hydraulic supply shop for about $2 but it will be slightly thicker than the OEM ones. So I used a Dowty at the head of the bolt and a copper washer at the transmission side. The bolt has a generous fillet that I decided NOT to use two copper washers.

20. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Thank you for the suggestions

I just ordered some 145192's so I'll have something to compare to when looking for less expensive options next time

If I find anything good I'll let you know!

AandSC likes this.
  21. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Motorcycles sometimes use them on the case for the oil drain bolt. You might match something up at a cycle shop counter.

colorfull likes this.
  22. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    UGH ... SU carbs :p

23. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    #23 ItalGerBrit, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Clarification about softening copper washers not that it matters since the copper will be dead soft after the heating to cherry red slow cooling or dropping water. Dropping it into water will not harden it again. Only compressing or beating on it will harden it.