1977 308 GT4 aka DaddyO Dino | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1977 308 GT4 aka DaddyO Dino

Discussion in '308/328' started by Vonbarron, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    As I posted about the rear valances RUST. Always loved the Mangusta look with out the bumper in place. GO for it!!

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If that is a Stebro like the sticker implies, and it kinda looks like it, the inserts in the tips may come out. Mine had a single screw holding them in from the bottom. That may help with the chirping sound. The old fix on stock exhausts was roll up a piece of stainless and slide it in the insert. Covering the perforations made it go away. Stebro used to offer a few different sizes of inserts, once I took 'em out I left 'em out. ;) In fact they may still be sitting in my garage somewhere!!

absostone likes this.
  3. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Thanks John, I did notice screws on the bottom of the tips. That’ll be a cheap easy fix

Jdubbya likes this.
  4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    The timing marks for 5-8 are 90 degrees after the marks for 1-4. Not 180. I'm not sure how you lucked into getting the timing right, but congratulations!

Aaron

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If you can get 'em out. :)

6. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I got them out..... down the rabbit hole. Muffler is destroyed from backfiring, plus it sucks in the first place. I’m just going to make my own obnoxious pipe rack. Do you guys want to see all the gory details of this car? There’s a lot, back in 2008 it sure looked good but what was lurking underneath was hidden with bondo, shiny paint
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Camp Freddie and GermanDino like this.
  7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes let’s see

8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I was one of the guys thinking of buying this car. Show the carnage so I can feel better. Haha.

Aaron

Camp Freddie likes this.
  9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Russian steel....

My poor mondial is rusting away from the inside out... Pisses me off.. when I can afford it, the dang thing is getting stripped down and dipped. Just not sure if it's worth the cost...

10. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Ok I’ll start showing all the horror and the weird things, it’s going to be awhile before it gets sheet metal work, I’m going to drive it as a rusted out beater this summer, hopefully people yell and take swings at me buzzing around since I’m such a horrible caretaker. I’d say Brian’s original assessment is spot on, if you can’t do the work 100% yourself including upholstery, this car would have caused the bank to foreclose on you.. but having said that, pretty solid chassis, rebuilt motor and carbs, no smoke, no leaks, power brakes works well and......... the windows roll up and down, I even washed it and *gasp, it was dry inside after. Car has a lot of bondo and I’m seeing indications that it was applied over rot

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Is that a 'braille' type battery shutoff?

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I think we all were... I like carnage.

sjd

13. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Forgot to show and tell, i’ve had a busy week so no action on the Dino other than I took some pictures of some Bondo sculpting to get the car looking nice Wayback when, ticking time bomb and it blew up on me. I also went and replaced the 14 inch tires that were cracked all the hell and gave them the cheapest tires I could get from Les Schwab. The rims are a little bit waisted with gouges and scuffs and what not so I decided to fake it out with some Dow7, Remember this is a driver to freak out the squares for a while. Hey you guys know that problem when you can’t get the front trunk open because of the cable is off a little bit can you ask Hey how can I get in, Well what you do apparently is you take the wheel off and then cut a hole in the wheel well. It wouldn’t open for me so I just simply pulled the little emergency cable in the glove box
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Oh and I sprayed fake dirt on the wheels, I want it to match the rest of the car

Camp Freddie and steved033 like this.
  15. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    That nasty rust which is always kinda sweating. My mother’s ‘76 FIAT 126 did the same.

John

16. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    what’s the story on that lift????

steved033 likes this.
  17. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Just an old snap-on branded scissor lift, semi portable. I’ve had it for probably 13 years, they work great for Ferrari and porsches, anything with flat bottom, no need to extend the arms on it to hit pick up points

18. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Love the Dow 7 look. Do you just leave that stuff as-is, or do you have to spray clear? Or in your case, dirt?!

19. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    rob, smg2, steved033 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Today I had some time to fix the exhaust, decided to just fix what I have, as you saw previous I cut it off, today I welded the seams where the back firing blew it apart, also had to trim an inch out of the drivers side pipe so it would be even, rewelded it all up at the steepest angle I could, you know so it looks cool. Car desperately needs 16” rear rims that are 10” wide to get it looking less like a fat guy in a little coat. Yanked the tips out but still has a VW sound until you rev it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  21. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  22. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  23. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I happen have another gt4 radiator used so I guess I’ll have it tested

absostone likes this.
  24. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    For you new guys, this is what happens when you don’t change the fluid every 8 months as per FChat, oil of course is standard 5 months, that still hasn’t changed. Might start a go fund me soon

25. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    absostone likes this.