Paint flaking on upper intake manifold | FerrariChat

Paint flaking on upper intake manifold

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mark Blanchard, Mar 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea about how to removed flaking paint on the upper intake manifold on my 360 please? One of the previous owners of the car sprayed over the original paint as you can see and some but not all is peeling off. The original paint below is fine.

Any thought would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Probably the best option would be to remove cam covers, paint strip to bare metal and then re prime and paint with new wrinkle red. Just did this with my 348 cam covers. I noticed that the original factory finish had no primer under it and once paint stripped it was obvious that small areas of corrosion under the red paint was causing the finish to peel. Once paint stripped I blasted the covers with glass bead the "key" the surface prior to initially spraying with an epoxy aircraft 2 part primer. A few coats of VHT red wrinkle paint and good as new. JGW

Mark Blanchard likes this.
  3. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Thanks for the information. I was hoping there was another way, but I think you're right, stripping the paint and refinishing it is the only option.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Without a doubt a strip and re-paint is the ONLY way. Anything else is throwing good time and money after a far from ideal result. When it comes to paint there are no short cuts. Better prep means a better result and removing this manifold and re-finishing it is not a challenging or difficult job.

One option to consider is sending the manifold off to a powder coating shop that will strip and refinish it. Make sure they tape off all of the mating surfaces (they have a special high temp tape for this). As for the word Ferrari on the top you are much better off to remove the new powder coat then try to mask it off. It will yield a cleaner result with sharper detail on the letters.

5. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Thanks for your suggestion, sounds like a plan.

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’d get them re powder coated.

Look up Redditch shot blasting they do a lot of Ferrari parts; Dick Lovett send their parts there; had mine done last year; not expensive.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The Ferrari original paint is probably 2 stage, while the top coat is just spray can with no hardener. As such, you might be able to strip off the top coat with gasoline and a micro fiber rag and some elbow grease (which shouldn't hurt the Ferrari paint). If you need to be more aggressive, try some Berryman B12 chemtool but be careful. B12 should remove the top coat, but might also start to dissolve the Ferrari paint if you aren't careful.

Ray

8. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    Thanks. I’ll give that a go before I try anything else.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name: