Mini Catalytic Converter for De Catted 458 | FerrariChat

Mini Catalytic Converter for De Catted 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by adamellisdj, Mar 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
  2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's both clever and a new level of ghetto all in one haha.

You're aware that's just a small reservoir for exhaust gases and not a mini catalytic converter correct?

Ray

3. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Yes. I just want to ensure the CEL stays off.
    Would it affect the sound?

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you ever worked on an exhaust system or changed an O2 sensor?

This thing they are selling doesn't go into the flow of the exhaust like a normal cat or something like a hyper flow cat, so it wouldn't affect the sound. Nonetheless, it's sort of a clever way to hold some exhaust gases off to the side from what I can see. You understand this thing is fairly tiny right? Like you could slip it into your shirt pocket, correct?

My guess is Ferrari uses a wideband O2 sensor, which is usually pretty sensitive.

I run an AEM wideband air/fuel ratio on my truck, which is really helpful for monitoring what's going on. I run it in Lambda mode. Have you considered using something like that or maybe an OBD2 setup to see exactly what readings you're getting with your exhaust first?

BTW, they also make a little O2 bung spacer thing, which is similar and just pulls the O2 sensor out of the flow a bit. Have you looked into those at all?

You're planning on putting this on the downstream sensor correct?

Ray

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Search "O2 spacer" on ebay and you can find quite a few interesting options.

I run a straight pipe on my Toyota (with both O2 sensors) and no check engine lights. As long as you run good quality fuel and change your oil often, sometimes it won't even throw a code. The spacer thing can help. The little mini cat thing is a clever idea also (if in fact it's a tiny catalytic converter in there).

Ray