355 - Pass airbag leather | FerrariChat

355 Pass airbag leather

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Mar 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Hi
    As most knows the leather shrinks on the pass bag cover and makes it look really bad. Happens to all dash boards it seems. Anyhow, has anyone out there exchanged the leather on this cover? I plan to do it as I have a piece of exact the same leather that will fit, but doing it feels a bit dangerous. To take the airbag out is very easy. I have done it a couple of times and adjusted the leather a bit to make it looking a bit better and it worked out quite fine, but that is not possible more as the leather is not big enough to cover the surface properly any longer. Need to exchange it. But, just imagine if the bag blows....scary... So, is there a risk of blowing the bag when having it unplugged and outside the car when doing this job you think?

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Not anymore than when they covered it in the first place. It takes an electrical charge to set one off. Allegedly static electricity can set it off so take the necessary precautions to avoid static electricity as you would working on sensitive electronics.

3. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    It is quite rare for an airbag to have an accidental discharge. Though, the potential dangers are present.

Always have the airbag facing up when rested on a table to prevent creating a projectile. Treat it as if it can deploy at any moment. Keep it facing away from you at all times. It is like handling a gun, treat it like it’s a loaded weapon and never point the barrel to anyone.

So just don’t be laying your head on it like a pillow while rubbing your legs on a rug.

4. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Ha-ha, no I will not use it as a pillow laying on a rug generating static electricity. :)

5. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    But if you do, report back and let us know how it went. If not, I can understand... :D

Your neck chiropractor,
    -Jay

willrace and ThatFlyGuy like this.
  6. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Have taken mine out more times than I care to remember Klas. Was quite brutal with it to reprofile the warped plastic. Still here...

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Had mine done over this winter.

Getting the deformed plastic back was fairly easy; but of heat gun and the plastic seemed to have a memory and went back.

Just make sure the new leather is the correct thickness.

8. GordonX

GordonX Karting

Mar 10, 2013
    South Florida
    This video might help -

I FIXED my FERRARI Interior MYSELF and saved $10,000!!
    Normal Guy Supercar

9. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^This....Heat gun will get the plastic back to the correct form, easily.

^^^^and this.....you need to find a shop that splits or skives leather. Harry at Veteran Company has material that was a near perfect match,
    and was able to skive to the correct thickness. ( I sent him my old piece to match) PM me and I will provide details.

Julia likes this.
  10. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Thanks, for information. I have a piece of the same leather that will fit taken from my old cluster display cover that I exchanged some years ago. I'll come back if that piece won't work.

11. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^^^^That's perfect. Good luck.