Lowering the 458 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Lowering the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texasz, Sep 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There is one simole thing you need to understand. Ferrari did not spend millions giving the car the fastest and best set up possible. Ferrari spent a lot of time figuring out, how they can make the cars very safe in the hands of untrained drivers while retaining some decent abilities.

Why do you think a Ferrari with factory setup understeers like crazy? I know very well that a lot of lowering is not the answer, but you are kidding yourself if you think these cannot be improved. You are kidding yourself even mire if you think the car you drive, has the same setup as the cars they test on track.

Have you even seen the stock alignment specifications? They are VERY Beverly Hills Hausfrau friendly.

I'm sorry, but your level headed friend might want to learn a bit more about Ferrari setups before giving advice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are definitely in a better range with those pressures. I think hot pressures of 30-31 work well.

Anyhow, regarding the MPS4S and the track.
    It is very simple, that tyre was never intended for the track. It overheats in 3-4 laps easilly, and that's pretty much the end of it. Once overheated, it will never work properly again and it can do all sorts of things. Feathering, throw chunks, delaminate etc. Keep them under 50c because,that is what they are meant to do.
    If you track and drive hard, you need a tyre for that purpose, and the MPSS/MPS4S is not it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  3. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Yup, been told the same about the 4Ss. Although I’ve also heard from others that it is a good compromise.

Well as of today I can say that with 29 and 30 hot, it’s running very smoothly. Also went for another drive again today and the new spark plugs have helped with smoother gear changes too.

Next week we will do an alignment service, and I’m really hoping I’ll be ok.

but once I’m done with the 4Ss I’m pretty sure I’ll go for Cup2s or alike. It’ll be a lot grippier and to your point fit my driving purpose.

4. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Agreed! IMO, this friend's mentality would only apply to special divisions and models. Like the Speciale, Pista, GTS Porsche, M series, AMG and the likes. I find it foolish to tinker w/ those models.....