Seeking advice on buying a Speciale | FerrariChat

Seeking advice on buying a Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jealva, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jealva

jealva Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Juan E. Alva
    I’m having a serious look at a Speciale with a few thousand miles that has the telemetry and track inner cams kit. I’m told the car has been on track a few times and despite having PPF, the front bumper and hood had to be repainted. Car fax shows a clean history but I know it can’t catch everything. Should I have any concerns about the repaint or the fact that there was a need for a repaint despite the PPF?

I currently have a couple of track cars that have PPF and I put an extra layer of track day tape on for track days. I know stuff can happen but with only about 4000 miles, my suspicion is that there was a lot more track time than advertised (2 or 3 times I was told) or even an “incident”.

The car also has CF front flaps and nolders which I assume I can check for signs of wear and tear. Also, I’d have it put on a lift and check the floor and rear diffuser for signs of wear. I think the only other thing to be wary of are the transmission and especially the brakes since they are ceramics.

When I buy the Speciale, my intention is to drive it on road and track for as long as I have a license (I’m 51 so hopefully 40 years) so I’d appreciate any advice on this as I’m about to make an offer on this car.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'd price the car like it has been in a fender bender. Whatever you think that price should be. If the seller wants to price the car like nothing has happened, I'd walk away. A repainted Speciale should be below market price. Period. If the price is right, I'd buy it and enjoy! It's just paint.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ivinsea and rossodino like this.
  3. jealva

jealva Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Juan E. Alva
    Thanks for the advice. The car is at a Ferrari dealer so I would think they’d have an obligation to give me full disclosure if it had been in an accident. It’s Ferrari Approved so that gives me some comfort but the repaint is a bit troubling. I’ll see if I can get the initial inspection report before they certified it F Approved.

4. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    is the car at san fran ferrari?

5. jealva

jealva Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Juan E. Alva
    Yes, any advice or thoughts on that one?

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    And just like that, the plot thickens...

Ray

7. jealva

jealva Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Juan E. Alva
    Sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean. Am I missing some problem with the car (is the respray a bigger deal than I realize) or is there an issue with that particular dealership?

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Well, you had stated previously that the dealer told you no track time. Are we all discussing the same car here or ?

Ray

9. jealva

jealva Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Juan E. Alva
    Minimal track time. Said it had been on track 2 or 3 times but not sure where. Owner was in the Bay Area so could have been Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Thunderhill, anywhere really. It just seems like a lot to paint, front bumper and hood with the NART stripe, because of some chips that made it through the PPF. Seems like that might have been caused by a gravel trap or something like that.

RayJohns likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, hard to say but that does sound like a bit much for just some light track use.

Ray