California/California T market? | FerrariChat

California/California T market?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferrari360driver, Mar 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Curious what everyone thinks of these two cars as far as values? I am wanting to possibly upgrade to one from the 348. Shall I hold out for the Cali T to come down in price more, or will it come down much more anytime soon at all? Be nice to see them get closer to 100K

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice Cali 30 (2013-2014) $100-110s
    Nice Cali T 2015 $130 & up

Andrew Pour and tomc like this.
  3. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i think cali T has a great price point at the moment. If you see one with Handling Speciale with the color you like, don't miss it.

Many people waiting since last year will be buying sports cars so I don't expect prices to come down a lot this year.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;) Here is mine ...

There are three varieties of Californias:

2009-2012 California
    2013-2014 California 30 -- 30 more horsepower, 30 kg lighter, some significant performance improvements (re-gearing), DCT is (allegedly) a bit more robust than the original
    2015-2018 California T -- turbocharged, significantly more powerful, nicely redesigned body and some interior upgrades, DCT is (allegedly) the best of the three

These three models tend to buttress each other as far as values -- given similar condition, good options and low-ish mileage.

If the 2009-2012 cars are ranging, say, from $80k-90k, and the Cali 30 is pulling $100k-120k, then the T will sit $120k+ depending on year and mileage/options -- carbon, the HSE package, etc. So the question becomes, where will the 2009 car bottom out (I would say it's probably pretty close by this point) and how much "extra" will the 30 and the T command from that point on.

My feeling is the early Californias are getting pretty close to the bottom. There will be outliers -- cars with 20k+ miles, cars with minor accidents or Carfax blemishes, lightly optioned cars or weird color combinations. And you will almost certainly pay more for a CPO car at a Ferrari dealer -- with or without the extra warranty, but more with the warranty for sure.

alex likes this.
  5. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think you're dreaming a little regarding $100K!

sherrillt likes this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    After all, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari!

7. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    So true !

8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve been tracking these models in particular for a while now. Honestly the pandemic has actually held prices from typical fluctuations and maybe even bolstered them some. It’s almost like there is a bit higher demand for them then average. Some of this is likely due to several factors such as shortages of new models, individuals that made out well in the pandemic stock market are splurging, individuals working at companies that have done well during the pandemic using windfall bonuses are splurging, or any combination of these and many other factors. Seems like real estate, RV’s and high performance and exotic cars are moving very well during the pandemic. I’ve seen houses that were for sale for years pre pandemic sold, renovated and resold in just a few months time that otherwise would have just kept on sitting.

but back to market values, they’ve stayed pretty steady over the last 12 months. Not even a lot of off season fluctuation. Of course I’m not privy to actual sale prices negotiated but it seems to me there is no reason to hold off on purchasing in the foreseeable future since it’s not likely any of these cars are likely to go down in value significantly.

As far as how much farther from
    The bottom they are, well it’s anyone’s guess. These are 2+2 Ferrari’s and traditionally the value generally isn’t high, on the other hand the California and its variants are more desirable due to the hard top convertible aspect.

I used to think it was possible to see first gen Cali’s upper 60’s low 70’s to start at the bottom of deprishiation similar to the string of 360’s but now I’m not sure. Maybe mid to upper 70’s is the basement. Maybe cali t will see low 6 figures at the bottom but again who knows.

but even if my guess comes close buying now still won’t hurt too badly and if indeed they are bottomed out you’ve got nothing to lose but the time you would be enjoying the car.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  9. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well, I guess if you consider a blink-of-an-eye difference in going from 0 - 60 mph ‘significant‘ ;)

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I’ve owned and put 10k+ miles on both a Cali 30 and a Cali T. The 30 is plenty quick at 483 hp / 372 lb-ft but the T is 553/557 and it makes a big difference. The 30 sounds better but the power delivery in the T is impressive.

azlin75 likes this.
  11. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    The law of diminishing returns shows in a 0-60 test for a front-mid engine rear drive concept. Even the Portofino M with 620 hp is only slightly quicker to 60. However, the Cali T wipes the floor with the Cali (non T) in a real life road/track test. And a Portofino M will be noticeably faster than a Cali T.

12. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a Cali-30 and the exhaust sound was definitely a big factor. I don’t track mine, but I do track other high performance sports cars. I drive this one to its potential regularly and if I were to take it to the track, without wider rims and a lot better rubber any more power would be all but useless, IMHO. I never found myself at a stoplight next to a Cali T or a Portofino, and Road & Track will never invite me to do a comparison test, so whether either of them could ‘wipe the floor’ with me is a complete non-factor as far as I’m concerned. :) I’m sure I enjoy mine every bit as much as the later model owners do theirs, power not withstanding. To each his own.

vjd3 and alex like this.
  13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I loved my grigio titanio Cali 30, I drove it for 3 years and 15k miles. Had life not intervened I would likely still own it, and if it popped up for sale locally I’d be tempted to buy it back. Great power and great sound. That being said, I put the HS Speciale exhaust on my Cali T and I have gotten used to the extra power. Aside from the sound of the turbos spooling up, it feels like a normally aspirated car, very different from the older Porsche turbo I owned. It would be interesting to drive a Cali 30 again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    It’s my humble opinion that the Cali 30 is arguably the best value right now. But the Cali T has a better interior.

there are aspects of both the California I like and the Cali T that I like. But at the end of the day they are all great cars. It comes down to what car has the options and color combos you like. And everyone’s personal preference is different. But I can say that while there may be a price difference between the different models the feelings you get while driving any of these is priceless. Honestly I’ve never felt like I wished I’d chosen differently when I open the garage and lower the lift or when I’m cruising around. I just feel lucky and blessed that I have been able to afford a car like this for fun.

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Which one did you buy, Shawn?

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    2010 California red on black. Though I do t have one now I enjoyed it while I had it. Wife wanted a class a motor home and I didn’t want a payment. In a perfect world I’d have had both but with the pandemic it didn’t seem like a good idea to have a note on an RV so I sold the Cali.

Love the platform but likely will be buying an FF or Lusso when I get back into one because I learned the hard way the back seat sucks for a kid and would only get worse. The wife and I had a surprise blessing that will be around for a while and she probably would enjoy the room in the back of an FF or Lusso more.

But back to the topic of which car I’d buy now if I were to buy one today? Definitely the Cali 30 followed closely by a Cali T. Would depend on what cars I found with the boxes I want checked. Probably wouldn’t go for a pre 2013 California again, not that it is a bad car just the 30 is better. The T has a nicer in my opinion interior.

vjd3 likes this.
  17. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    One other aspect of the Cali-30 that appealed to me is the retro factor, like the hood scoop as a nod to the original California from the ‘60s. And the instrument cluster, even though it has a CRT screen on the side it still has round dials with real moving needles. The newer they get the more electronic the displays become and the less attractive to me. All that probably stems from the fact that although I wanted one since I was a kid growing up in the ‘50s I didn’t own my first Ferrari until I was almost seventy. Better late...

alex likes this.
  18. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    That is one of the most attractive things that I personally thing the original Californian and Cali 30 have going for them, the semi retro styling. Not a huge fan of the stacked exhaust though. If I could have one that looks like the Cali 30 on the outside but like the Cali t on the inside and had the horizontal exhaust that would be it for me. Like the power of the Cali T but the exhaust note of the Cali 30. But that just me picking nits.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  19. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone have an Idea what the market is like for the non Cali 30's? I am seeing a few pop up under $88,000 decent miles. Does this sound right?

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm watching the market, and high 80s to low-mid 90s seems to be a sweet spot right now for the first gen Cali. If you want a rare color or really low miles the cost is higher. Your basic black/tan or red/black or silver/black with few options is relatively easy to find. You certainly *can* pay much more if you wish.

21. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is a silver black with Daytonas here in Salt lake, for 85k. I was blown away at that price

22. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    I feel like a lot of the cheap ones have a lot of deferred maintenance. Doing the annual every year and nothing else leaves a lot out there...ones with more extensive maintenance do not transact so cheap.

The saying nothing costs more than a cheap Ferrari...

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  23. lunyx

lunyx Rookie

Jul 5, 2022
    You'd be lucky if they do the annual every year. While shopping, I've seen plenty of owners who went to a 2 year schedule once the free maintenance expired.

schumacherf2006 and FrancisK like this.
  24. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    To be honest, this is such a difficult choice and one I go back and forth on. I honestly just can’t decide which one I like more. The NA exhaust note is just phenomenal compared to a Cali T even with an exhaust. I just know myself and will probably go with the T due to all the interior upgrades and styling cues.

schumacherf2006 likes this.
  25. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I would check BAT to see how the market is faring, values seem to be holding pretty well. I drove a 2013 Cali 30 and a 2015 T and bought the Cali T 3 years ago, I have put 18K miles on it and still get a thrill driving it. Of course there are a lot faster cars now, but as I said at the stoplight to the latest guy in a Hellcat, "Yes, you are faster than me, but your girl would rather be in mine."