Fan Speed Knob on 360 | FerrariChat

Fan Speed Knob on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by michaelo, Nov 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I called Ferrari of Atlanta to see about replacing the fan speed knob on my 360 Spider due to a scratch. I was informed that the knobs were not offered as separate items and I would have to purchase the entire climate control fascia at a cost of over $2,500.00. What car company does not offer a knob as a stand alone item? Absolutely ludicrous. This kind of stuff makes me question the sanity of owning a Ferrari.Has anyone found a way to circumvent this situation? Would love to know.

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I looked up that part, and, most unfortunately, the knobs are not listed separately.

It is shown as a complete unit P/N 65803000.

I have no idea who makes it so you could track it banck.

I am showing a price around $1,400.00.

Certainly that's no bargain, but it's a whole lot less than you were quoted.

I think I would put up with the scratch and consider it the character of the car.

3. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    That, or do what I do with my $7500 Miata -- Shop through salvagers and find the part you need.

A 360 could be wrecked beyond recognition, and as long as it didn't catch fire, that knob would probably be fine.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  5. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    My AC knob/switch broke on one of my 360s. It was replaced under warranty. When I went to pick up the car I asked how much this would have cost if it hadn't been under warranty. He said the part was $1000. I thought he was joking. I guess he wasn't!!

6. braincuttermd

braincuttermd Karting

May 6, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's what I would do! In fact, there's guys selling Ferraris with salvage titles on ebay, email them and offer $100 for the knob, I bet they'll remove it and send it to you!

7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I would try and spray paint it to match the others or paint all 3. if you have the correct color I am sure you will be happy with the results.

8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    While the op posted up about a scratched fan speed knob... my fan speed knob on my 360 literally broke into 15 small PCs in my hand this weekend. I suspect the plastic is getting brittle after 20 years...

replacement math:

new 1500-2000
    Used fleabay 750-900

I’m curious about how many people would be interested in a quality set of ac knobs which are unavailable right now.

I read a post where someone had some al knobs machined.

I’m going to test a couple readily available knobs that appear similar ....

I might also investigate applying epoxy resin to a stock knob underneath to make it stronger.

knob science

9. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    There's aluminum replacements available now, I can't remember where though.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  11. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Pretty nutty prices eh? Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There was a guy offering metal replacement knobs, but haven't seen him in a month or so....still might try a PM

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f360-ac-metal-knob-replacement.624333/

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Maddening for sure that the knobs are not available separately. But for what it's worth a lot of manufacturers have gone down this road. I once purchased a bunch of power seat frames complete with motors and cables from a Hyundai. The shop was using them to install as a custom option in other cars. When the cable broke on one of the seat contraptions, Hyundai told me I had to buy the entire seat frame mechanism and the drive cables (there are 4 of them) were not sold separately. I guess the little guys have learned a thing or two from the big guys--- like Ferrari. Still sucks though.

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Inspection of my failed knob — I believe the control shaft req higher torque over the years... which places extra stress on the plastic knob where it attaches to the shaft.

might be able to slip a thin metal collar over the knob base where it slips over the shaft to prolong life ...

Knob science.

16. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    What about 3D printing?

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mark— great idea

I’m not familiar w the strength of the 3 print product? Unfortunately the old actuators take pretty good amount of torque... so the slip on section will need to be strong.