Foam from the A/C deteriorating | FerrariChat

Foam from the A/C deteriorating

Discussion in '360/430' started by Marcopolo3382, Aug 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Anyone else experience pieces sticky black foam getting blown out from air vents and vents from under the dash? I’ve noticed this recently and now I’m finding pieces 4-5 inches in length on the floor after a drive where A/C is used on full blast. It has the consistency of the sticky buttons and if it is smeared against the carpet it will leave a greasy mark in the carpet. I’ve had good luck getting these types of spots out with a cleaner called tough stuff. It foams up and has a little brush and it works great. No residue left after cleaning. Anyway, it doesn’t seem to be a huge issue. I’m sure it’s just the foam from behind the dash deteriorating like everything else but I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this issue and if you’ve removed the old foam or have repaired it in any way. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Sorry, I guess I added the picture twice. Lol! I’m still kind of learning how to use this forum.

3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I’m not being much help here but to say I’ve had it happen on another vehicle. Something that may have hastened the deterioration was using a spray A/C duct cleaner to rid the car’s system of a musty odor. I’ve not replaced the foam yet, but do think it is from the joints between duct sections and plenum and control doors. I also used a foaming carpet cleaner and had the spots come out more easily than I expected.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, I had the same thing go on...not to that extent but I've had little pieces blow out at me when the fan is on. It only happened a few times and probably more of a pain to try to fix...

5. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    I've just removed my heater box to fix a broken stepper motor, and the foam was quite badly broken down. The foam sits around the top of the heater box and seals against the the vent ducting. I'm guessing it's common that it breaks down, but hoping for you that once the lose bits that are inside the ducting mouth have fully broken down, you shouldn't see it continue.
    It's an awful oil soaked substance, which as you said, is quite greasy and sticky.

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    That’s the super rare cs foam. How much shipped to San Antonio? Jk

I had a pc of this fall out last week.
    Wondered what it was. Thx!

7. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Thanks for everyone’s input. Yea, I assume once it eventually all blows out I will stop seeing the foam haha! I guess It’s just like everything on a car approaching 20 years old.

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I wonder if there is a better material to replace it with. I have some white dense core weather strip from Frost King for the garage doors and it is pretty strong. Not sure it it's available in black. I bet the greasy stuff is due to the silly sticky Ferrai coating that was supposed to make the plastic more comfy. Worst idea ever from Ferrari or whatever parts supplier thought that up. A matte finish on the plastic is a much better approach.

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Same thing happened to me, bits of the foam on the carpet that I had to use tweezers to pick up to prevent smearing.

Also, I have this habit of sometimes wiping sweat off with my shirt. After that ride in 90 degree heat in my spider I did the shirt swipe and my skin had a blue-ish substance on it. I’m thinking it was from the foam.

I couldn’t find where it was coming from though.

10. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I agree!

11. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Lol! For real!? Imagine what we’re breathing in!

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

That’s cavier

John_K_348 likes this.
  13. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
  14. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    I have the same thing happening to my 2000 360. I can also hear it being chewed up by the fan. I was thinking about pulling the dash A/C vents out this weekend to try and vacuum it out. Will this work or does anyone know where its coming from or a better access point to remove it?

15. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Try not to EVER park under the sun. Car's whole interior wasnt meant for that. I guess its permanently "shady" in Italy. lol!

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Same thing here in my '03 360. A lot smaller pieces though and my car only has 26K miles on it. A nuisance to be sure. Especially with a Crema interior and light blue carpet!

I recognized it right away as my old 993 does the same thing.

17. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    So does anybody know where the foam is located at and a easy way to get to it?

18. enzof355f430

enzof355f430 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The foam is located on top of the HVAC unit under the dash. Unfortunately the only way to really get to it is pull the lower dash and glovebox. You can then pull the four bolts holding the entire unit in and tilt it outwards. The foam seals the path between the HVAC unit and the dash vent tubes. This part is also NLA as far as I understand. I used the garage door foam and stacked it. Works great.
    Edit: pic is the old foam.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FantasiaForest likes this.
  19. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    FantasiaForest likes this.
  20. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I was just given an estimate of $4375 to have this replaced on my 2006 430 spider. Cost mainly comes from having to pull thr dash and HVAC box. I think I'm going to pass.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

21. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    My recent experience is that the foam inside the vents deteriorated. I had my vent rings refinished and when I took the 5 vents out of the dash, this is what I found.
    A thin piece of foam is sandwiched between two plastic pieces to creat the open - close flap. I took one apart and they are glued together, so I didn’t pursue the idea of replacing the foam with new foam or leather. These pictures are of one good flap and one that’s split apart.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    This happened to my vents as well when I took mine out to refinish. I just ripped all the foam off and reinstalled it. There’s now a gap between the vent barrel and the flap but that’s ok, I never close the vents anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

66ss427 likes this.
  23. FLA_997

FLA_997 Rookie

Oct 12, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Greg Fiore
    Yup. I have the same problem on my '06 f430 and my '07 Porsche 911. Drives me crazy. Both cars throw sticky foam everywhere!

24. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I swear, the foam and the sticky stuff on the switches, have the same DNA.

grtoz, Streetsurfer and FLA_997 like this.
  25. mb5

mb5 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    @enzof355f430 which are the four bolts you have to remove to tilt out the HVAC like in your photo? Are these two of them, forward of the brake/accelerator pedals, up against the frunk? Or different ones?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login