430 - Contemplating Spacers | FerrariChat

430 Contemplating Spacers

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Mar 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hi gang...as always, when there is a technical question, I like to turn to the trusted brain trust on this forum. I have already searched the issue, and unfortunately found there were a) many conflicting points of view, and b) most of the threads were dated. So, hoping to get some feedback from other 430 Spider owners on the issue of pros / cons of spacers. I should say, I would likely be doing it "only" for cosmetic purposes, as for my weekend driving purposes, with an OEM stock set up on 19's, I find the car to be a joy. Handles great, rides well, and has been a fun 3 years of ownership. So, 50% of me says do nothing, as there is the risk that I add spacers and create issues that did not exist. The other 50% has seen some pics of other 430's with Spacers, and cosmetically, if definit Image Unavailable, Please Login ely looks improved. Granted, most of them likely also lowered the car, whether on stick (or other) springs, but that is not something I am contemplating doing.

So, I would appreciate any feedback that anyone has on the issue when convenient. Thanks!
    SS

2. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Your car will benefit from the spacers. I currently drive with 15mm spacers in the rear and have a brand new set of 10mm front and 15mm rear Novitec spacers with titan bolts to fit soon.

Both with spacers up front and in the rear handling is almost the same.

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'm a member of some online 4WD Forums. Spacers are generally frowned upon as they can cause shearing of bolts under extreme usage. Most serious off road players put on proper rims with the correct offset for wider tires. Not generally an option in the Ferrari world if you want to stay with a OEM look. If you are not tracking the car you may be OK but generally deviating from factory specs for cosmetic purposes is at times questionable. YMMV

Ray Smith and EastMemphis like this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Very good points and I appreciate the quick reply. I did not even think about the possibility of shearing from the longer bolts....I drive the car every weekend exclusively as a fun weekend toy, and it really does drive so well (for my needs), so this may be a case of "if it aint broke dont mess with it." I would kick myself if I did something that detracted from the fun I am having.

As always, thanks for the great, honest feedback on this site!

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Amen.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  6. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought 15mm Hill Engineering Spacers and extended titanium wheel bolts recently but decided to keep the stock look on my Scud. I am going to put them up for sale if you want to PM me if interested.

7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    This remains true in the hardcore 4WD world, but has zero applicability in the Ferrari world. (Though even in the 4WD world, proper hub-centric spacers will solve a lot of those problems). Extreme Rock Crawlers use spacers all the time (I'm not sure I've ever seen one without them). Large "Monster-trucks" see regular failures of spacers..... but it seems like the truck has always been 8 feet in the air just moments before, haha.

Spacers are EXTREMELY common on the racetrack. Failures are rare and typically have exacerbating circumstances leading to the mode of failure. Again: use a proper hub-centric spacer, and proper-length bolts / studs. When you choose hub-centric, the wheel is no longer riding on the lug-bolts/studs, but rather on the hub, as was intended.

clean512 and Flea7 like this.
  8. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I have some spacers on my bmw, made the car look better but it does change your tires scrub radius. It now follows every rut in the road and pulls you into them. They're getting thrown away when I put my new wheels on.

Ray Smith likes this.
  9. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    Spacers are great and there is not really anything to worry about with spacers as long as they aren't too big. I ran a 20mm spacer on my race car for 6 years. Bearings didn't wear out any faster, there weren't any other issues to note. I am in the boat that these 430's need spacers with the stock wheels. Probably first thing I am ordering for my new to me Scud.

10. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    Spacers are no different than ordering a wheel with a different offset to fit the gap. I don't see getting a different set of wheels changing your issue. Other than maybe wider tires. Which would possibly make the situation you mention worse. It is more likely a tow issue or a different alignment issue. When racing adjusting the tow in front, in rear, or both completely changes the characteristics of a car driving straight.. For example I hit a pot hole on the exit of a corner in a race one time, it created a tow out issue in the rear. About 1/4" tow out.. Car was almost undriveable on the straight. It felt like the car was on casters in the rear. Was almost un noticeable in the corners.

11. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Spacers are perfectly fine to run, as long as they are hubcentric, and you have the proper length bolts.

jag-oo-r and Flea7 like this.
  12. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    correct, the spacers to look out for to avoild are ones that are not hubcentric and work as an adapter, Should always use a bolt though spacer. This is all we will offer.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  13. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    I can't figure out how to pm you.. hit me up. im interested.

14. Reedhop1

Reedhop1 Karting

Sep 14, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Reed Hopkins
    I run 15mm front and back Hill manufactured and it makes the car look completely better and meaner and rides perfect. The extra long bolts work great and there has not been any notice of shearing of the bolts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo