Why do i see comments not to use the choke on carb'd cars? | FerrariChat

Why do i see comments not to use the choke on carb'd cars?

Discussion in '308/328' started by AZDoug, Mar 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I realize it isn't a choke as such, but rather a fuel enrichment dump, but i used the choke all the time back in the 1980s when starting the car on a cold day, when i drove it every day.

I still will manual cycle the choke prior to starting, just to keep the moving sleeves from seizing/gunking up, but just do 3-4 accel pumps prior to start,and repeat as necessary, this is because i don't drive it every day, and have to fill up the carbs, and am not sure if using the choke in that situation can lead to excess fuel dump down the bore.

I NEVER do extended cranking as that can ruin a starter motor due to overheating the motor, but if the car doesn't fire in 2-3 seconds of cranking, I cycle the key and do a few more acccel pumps, and repeat as needed. I usually starts at the most after 3-4 on/off/pumping cycles after having sat for a week or a month.

Doug

JuLiTrO likes this.
  2. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    No idea. I’ve heard this lots and I think it’s rubbish. With clean plugs my GTS starts great using the choke; keep it on for a couple of minutes and once the engine warms a little turn it off. Pumping the accelerator as advised just seems to foul the plugs and mean you have to clean them sooner

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The "reason" is that the choke spools inside the DCNF carb get opened mechanically by the cable mechanism (physically dragging them open), but, when you return the cable lever mechanism to the closed position, the choke spools may hang-up in their bores and not fully close (because they are closed by a return spring, not by the cable mechanism). It got more troublesome when they introduced cats on the US '78-'79 models -- have a choke spool hang-up on a US '73-'77 308 = you foul a plug; have a choke spool hang-up on a cat-equipped US '78-'79 308 = carbeque.

Jdubbya and Kidasters like this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A friend of mine has a 365 gtc4, apparently its a right art to start it up- all to do with the carbs and throttle use

5. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I figured it was because the choke wire linkage is iffy at best. I thought about leaving it off when I re-installed the carbs, but included it for the sake of completeness.

6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well, i haven't had cats on my car since about 1987.

Doug

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Didn't say that it was a good practice or a bad practice -- just the reason where that rule-of-thumb originated (and a sliding metal-on-metal situation "washed" by gasoline isn't exactly ideal). Certainly, being catless is far less risk, and wish we had some objective data for how often a choke spool hangs up if used regularly rather than just hearsay ;)

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It would SEEM logical that the more frequently it is used, the less likely it would hang up. The worst thing for any moving part is for it not to move. But I have never had a Weber-carbed car so I can only speculate.

9. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No. The wire linkage for the chokes is much less robust than the normal throttle linkage.

After understanding the linkage on my carbs, I will never use the chokes. Ever.

10. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Not using the choke has been a 308 startup word-of-mouth SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for decades, pressurize the system & pump, don't use the choke level... I was first told this in the mid-1980's. My cars start fine with our without the choke lever. There are quite a few posts on the topic (a couple below) Bottom line, you typically do not need to choke, but if your choke cable system and carbs are in proper working order and not hanging up, no problem to use for initial/early start. But if there's an issue with your choke/cabling system... then stay away:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/choke-on-early-308-carbd-cars.450415/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/problem-starting-carbed-308.253681/

Kidasters likes this.
  11. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    when someone rebuilt my GT4 previously the choke cable was left off

12. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    60,000 miles continually using the choke for every start. No problems.

Portofino likes this.
  13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It all goes back to carbs and why F1 dumped them about 50 years ago

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well it also is about the choke or enrichment mechanism chosen by the carb maker. Obviously some are more robust than others. If they are more robust, they are more expensive. We all need to remember that Enzo didn't care anything about Ferrari street cars... ;)

15. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When I first got my carbed 308 I was experimenting starting the car using a choke and without. Then, I realized the choke was disconnected all together by the previous owner, lol. No wonder it made no difference.

I left it as is and just started the car by pumping the gas a couple times. During my last major the mechanic reconnected the choke again to factory spec, but I still never use it.