458 Tire Pressure | FerrariChat

458 Tire Pressure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by agentbb007, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agentbb007

agentbb007 Karting

Sep 25, 2009
    USA
    Full Name:
    Strider
    I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my 458 Italia and my tire pressure monitor system came on. I checked the manual and it lists 30.46 PSI Front and 29 PSI rear but that is for Michelin Pilot Sport tires. On Michelin's website when I put in a 458 it lists 33 PIS on both front and rear. If anyone has these same tires on their 458 what do you set your PSI to?

Also to reset the TPMS after I select "Calibrate TPMS" do I start the car and drive a bit?

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #2 PhilNotHill, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    My experience when the TPMS sees more than a pound difference the fault comes on. Inflate to proper pressure when tires are cold.

To reset what works best for me:
    Engine running, car stopped.
    Put into first gear, car stopped.
    Push the button to activate the TPMS reset.
    When the green screen appears, immediately let off the brake and start to move slowly...say 5 mph.
    Keep driving slowly until the fault light goes out. Not very far. Maybe a tenth of a mile.

It may take a few Attempts until it works.

If the TPMS keeps showing a fault you probably have a bad sensor. The batteries fail sooner or later. Just like my Porsche's did.

You can tell which sensor is bad by looking at the tire pressure screen...the tire with the bad sensor will just have lines no numbers. If all tires show numbers you have to inflate to proper pressure and then go thru the reset procedure Above.

3. agentbb007

agentbb007 Karting

Sep 25, 2009
    USA
    Full Name:
    Strider
    Awesome advice thanks Phil, I will give it a shot.

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I added some info so please re-read my post.

Best

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #5 DK308, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    The Michelin Pilot Sport mentioned in the manual is the Mishelin Pilot Supersport.

Not sure why your manual says Pilot Sport. My Spider manual says Pilot Supersport.

Secondly. Set your tyre pressures using a high quality "analogue" pressure gauge. I use a Moroso 89562 Pro. It's not the cheapest out there, but it's precise and the right tool for the job.
    If your car is parked in a heated garage, take it outside early in the morning. Let it sit for an hour so that the tyres get properly cold. First then check the pressure with the gauge. That is how cold pressure is supposed to be measured on street tyres.

After this you can reset your TPMS is you like. But only relying on the TMPS for correct tyre pressure is not the best way of going about things.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'm using 30 lbs. all around with the MPSS tires. I tried 33 lbs. and didn't care for the ride. So far so good.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  7. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    30/29 for me

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe this is the manual recommendation. When l buy new tires from the FCAR DEALER the pressures are all 30. BTW MPSS on mine. Great tires.

More important is to have the front tires the same pressue and rear tires the same pressure. When TPMS sees more than a pound difference, that's when the light comes on in my experience. It is not unusual for low profile tires to lose air sometimes. High speeds seem to be a culprit. It is important to keep tires properly inflated. Duh.

9. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I inflate my tires 1lb more than factory recommendation. So roughly 31/30 front to rear. I have on occasion had my tires higher than this but find the ride a little bouncy. I do find the ride a little firmer and steering a little more communicative in a good way with just that 1 extra pound.
    My sensor has never gone off regardless of front/rear difference as long as lowest tire pressure still greater than factory rec.
    My ubertech at FOA swears that Ferrari makes it tire inflation recommendation for max speed around Fiorano NOT comfort or tire wear.
    Regardless even if true, I like the slightly extra pressure.
    Your dealer can always put in Nitrogen rather than "air" to do away with the temperature change effects on tire pressures. Especially as we get into the winter months.
    Best

10. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    31/31 here now, especially with autumnal temperatures turning cooler.

11. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    So far haven't had to modify any tire pressures. Sensors seem fine, not alerts.. I wouldn't hesitate to make them the same or a bit higher. Just was following the manual. Sounds like there is some wiggle room the P's. The nitrogen option sounds good too. Thanks all for your input

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have no tyre pressure system ... works fine too :D !

13. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Not exactly. Tire pressures are calibrated at STP which is 20 deg C at 1031 mb. So if you take the car out of your A/C gargle at say 72 deg F and place it in a more typical Summer temp of 80 or more (assuming you don't drive in Winter) you will be under inflating. Tire pressures should read roughly 1 psi higher for every 8 deg increase in ambient.

With that said, I actually don't believe any of it as the amount of tire failures I have seen or experienced indicates that their construction is more art than science.

14. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Phil,
    Good advice on how to tell if your sensor is bad.

There is also a sensor battery tester that tire places have. I had an issue with my DD and I took it to Discount Tire and the guy was able to read the signal strength of each sensor.

15. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I agree to some degree. However, if your area has early morning temps in the shade of 80 degree F, you are in a location where temps are somewhat uncommon. However, what matters is not really what exact temp you measure at, but rather how big of a difference there is between cold morning temps and hot midday temps. If you measure at 80 degree F and your mid day temps allow the tyres to reach best operating pressure, that's what matters. Besides, if you inflate outside at 80 F and your garage is 72 F that's a bit of a moot point. I doubt you drive your car in your garage...
    Every tyre tech I ever spoke to, said that often you get best pressure during the day if you inflate to recommended pressure in the cold hours of the morning. This is also my personal experience in my climate.

As I specifically said, measure when temps are basically as low as possible. That way, you don't run an under inflated tyre. On the other hand, there's a risk of running too high a pressure, either if you drive the car extremely hard or the temp variations between morning cold and mid day heat is abnormally large.
    In essence, what would be nice was if Ferrari listed a hot pressure along with a cold. Then you could run your tyres up to temp and see where they are.

But generally speaking, if you inflate your tyres in the morning, in the shade, the hot pressure during the day will be pretty spot on and not too low.

The only way I can see under inflation becoming a problem is if you inflate your tyres around 12 or 1 pm and the car sits in the sun. Then the tyres are already pretty hot and the air will expand less when driven as the gap between inflation pressure and hot pressure is a lot more narrow.

The problem with the 20 C inflation temp is that some areas may experience 20 to 25 C degrees while others may experience 20 to 30+ C in a day.

So when we discuss tyre pressures, we really need to post what temps we inflate at and what temps we drive at. One guy may like 31 psi cold, but only see a 3-5 degree C temp variation where he drives. Another guy may also like 31 psi but experience a variation of 8-12 degree C. These two cars will feel completely different. I live in a place where temps are generally not very high in the driving season and day/night temps variations are not very high. That also means that the road temps are not very high. Therefore I run my pressures a bit on the high side of things, as that works for my area both in terms of road temps, driving conditions and temp variations. So what works for the guy in Florida will most likely not work for the guy in Seattle.

So all in all, one needs to keep an eye on their tyre wear and do what feels "right" for what that particular person do with his or her car. There are no absolutes when it comes to perfect tyre pressure.

16. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    30/29 Michelin Pilot super sport

Art138 likes this.
  17. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ditto here... My 2015 458 just had its sixth annual maintenance appointment and the dealer put in 30psi on all four MPSS tyres.

Cheers!

18. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I tried 32lbs (2.2bar) but I think I will lower it to 30-31lbs for a smoother ride.

How much does the tire manufacturing date affect on the ride smoothness? Not talkin about grip here. Say for example if your tires are from 2013 or 2020?

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    FYI, I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The sidewalls seem softer than the MPSS, and I’ve found that the car seems to handle better with them at 31-30 instead of 30-29. The suspension is sensitive to small changes in tire pressures.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Just curious, where do you live, does One versus the other seem to hold stones more?

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    SF/Silicon Valley. Not sure what this has to do with handling. Anyway, 4S do seem to have better grip than the MPSS they replaced.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat