New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

New Ferrari "Manual Transmission"...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doc_Dent, Mar 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

LOL

F2003-GA likes this.
  2. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Actually that's the least rewarding part of track driving. But your being sarcastic, riiiiiiight!
    I enjoy trail braking into a tight corner, getting the car rotated just right at the apex and getting the power on a soon as possible. I use to like threshold braking in my race car, without ASB, but with ABS in all modern street and race cars, not much to braking. just stomp on the pedal. Threshold braking without ABS is the most challenging aspect of driver input...way more challenging than shifting

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So that would make shifting, -not- dangerous?

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    My earlier comment regarding the overdependence of ABS in even Porsches:
    I've had adjustable bias in a DD (AP Lockheed/Tilton), and chose another because it was available without ABS (in 1994).
    That Porsche dropped their respected brakes in favor of "stomp it into the ABS" still pisses me off. I want dependable predictability, not computer-driven variation, especially for, as you note, rotating a car, or setting the nose into a turn.

5. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My race car was based on a 993. After the first season I took out the ABS system because I couldn't utilize the brakes the way I wanted to. Porsches are amazing without ABS. I used the brakes to steer the car almost as much as the steering wheel. Loved trail braking into a corner and doing a quick release, allowing physics to rotate the car, getting it pointed in the right direction for max WOT. This works especially well at T7 Sonoma Raceway in California.

6. Cars_n_Guitars

Mar 28, 2021
    Boston
    Full Name:
    George
    Nice. I didn’t know you could do all that.

7. Cars_n_Guitars

Mar 28, 2021
    Boston
    Full Name:
    George
    I wasn’t trying to compare MT to the paddles. The paddles are faster, safer and thrilling. I was just describing what I like about the gated shifter.

8. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    No problem...all good. I fully understand why some prefer a stick. I was just pointing out what I see as the benefits of paddles. There both great in a Ferrari!!!!

9. PiersR

PiersR Rookie

Feb 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Piers Ronan
    becker, JohnMH and F2003-GA like this.
  10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am not certain that I buy the argument about the cost being prohibitive compared to Porsche due to the small manual gearbox production run a Ferrari would represent. This is Ferrari, they are supposed to be cost prohibitive. Some limited edition models have a tiny production run but contain many components unique to that model.

If they made something simple, light, V8 powered, maybe with twin turbos and a stout manual gearbox, and wrapped it in attractive bodywork, I suspect it would not only sell very well (even as a production model), it would become a collectable car from new, even if it is slightly slower than a current F1 equipped car.

I guess they will not put the F40 back into production however.

I am curious if they could make them again, how would a F40 sell today as a regular production model? I would order one (and Ferrari currently makes nothing I would buy).

PiersR and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Doc_Dent

Doc_Dent Karting

Mar 2, 2015
    #111 Doc_Dent, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Right on spot.
    They are selling expensive cars anyway.
    IMO, If they set their minds on a MT and handle budget and finance accordingly, I believe they can easily succeed in giving us a great new MT F car with lots of profits in their pockets too.
    "WIN WIN SITUATION".

AGAIN, I am not against their beautiful DCT, as a matter of fact I enjoy it A LOT. However, we reached a point today where speed/assisting tech/transmission is "so fast" that you won't be able to work up all your "horses" on the road all the time anyway, so why not a MT?! even if it would mean a "tiny slower" performance in comparison.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    While I agree with you, I believe Ferrari would say a MT can’t handle the high horsepower of today’s cars. That is, a computerized transmission is an integral part of the nanny controls. Without these controls, there would be a lot more crashes, and they are probably right.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Except there are a lot of high horsepower manual cars. A quick look at wrecked exotics makes it easy to see that people are well capable of wrecking these things no matter what trans is in them :)

F2003-GA, Texas Forever and PiersR like this.
  14. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Porsche still has the nannies on manuals, and you can turn them off (other than the ABS, which they use for their brake bias now)

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't believe Porsche offers any 600-800 hp cars. I suspect the Carrera GT experiment will never be repeated.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Is Gordon Murrays T50 close enough?

F2003-GA likes this.
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not familiar with this car.

18. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Texas Forever likes this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    12,000+rpm, 650+hp, 2,200lbs (so better power to weight than most of the cars some consider "too fast for a manual)....and yet this car has one.

Just awesome.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My guess is 95% of Ferrari owners would mill themselves if they ever drove it.

21. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I'll just have to wait until they're cluttering the used car lots because none of the Kewl Kidz know how to drive them.

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Haha, me too! I mean, all these manuals should drop hard in value soon since no one wants them.

JohnMH likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yeah I guess I just don't get how the deciding factor between crashing or not is the transmission.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The nanny controls work better with a DCT.

25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Would love to hear an explanation for that.