Red wine | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bolex

bolex Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #326 bolex, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021

I too had the same dilemma a while back and did a blind tasting with some friends with these bottles. Special Selection won. That is really the only way you can have an unbiased opinion without being influenced by the bottle in front of you.

Opus One is very good. Is it 3 times better than Napa Silver Oak. Hell no.
    Opus is better than Caymus, I love Caymus but a lot of people find it too sweet and do not like it. It will be hard to find someone that says they don't like Opus One.

Caymus Special Selection is one of my favorite wines of all time along with Dominus. But thinking practically, I would rather have 2.5 bottles of Caymus vs one bottle of Special Selection.

Now there are a lot of guys/gals on here that are drinking wines that are several leagues above any of these but I think your taste is in line with mine.

Do yourself a favor and get a bottle of Dominus, and it will change your life. Going away from Napa, you should try Sassicaia as well. Both are more expensive than what you want to always drink but they will be a treat for sure.

I have had plenty of expensive wine that I thought tasted mediocre, and the person opening it thought was unbelievable.

The last blind tasting I did with friends, I did Napa Cabs (or blends.) The rank in the end was:
    1. Opus One
    2. Silver Spur
    3. Napa Silver Oak/ Scarlett
    5. Alexander Valley Silver Oak.

I was the only one that ranked the Silver Spur last ($17.95). Ironically, after the tasting we had a steak dinner. The only bottle that was not finished was the one ranked second. An experiment in human psychology I suppose.

2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have Uber bring me a bowl of that Beef Bourguignon! :D I can smell it thru the computer screen.

Scudmsl likes this.
  4. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I have a bottle of the 2013 and have been patiently holding. Any thoughts you could share on the 2014 would be appreciated. Also, I am not sure if Ferrari fate will bring us together at an event, but if so, I am drinking with you and @Pis7a2020!

Pis7a2020 and soulsea like this.
  5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    It was fabulous...all credit to my better half who spent most of the day perfecting it.

6. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    It's super delicious, so much so that no coravin needed ... it shall be drunk by evening's end. :)

I don't have a 13 to compare it to but I can't imagine the 14 getting better than it already is.

And yes, I am always game for a get-together.

Scudmsl likes this.
  7. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    #332 Pis7a2020, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    While I enjoy an aged wine from time to time (15-20 years+), not everyone does, let me explain.

So a good wine will typically have primary, secondary, and tertiary aromas and flavors. The primary comes from the fruit itself, secondary comes from the fermentation process and tertiary from aging.

With a younger wine, you will immediately get hit with pronounced primary flavors and then as the wine opens, the secondary and tertiary will slowly appear.

With aged wines, a tasting is very different as many of the primary flavors are almost dissipated, you typically get the reverse starting with very funky tertiary flavors. Some of these funky flavors can include interesting things such as wet Forrest floor, horse, leather, and earth. So if one is expecting fruit flavors, they may be disappointed by an aged wine. Aged wines are delicious but it takes some time to get used to them. Even the body of an aged wine is interesting as the lees (dead yeast) and tannins have broken down and integrated into the wine.

So I would enjoy the 2013 and perhaps save the 14 for another year or more. You probably want to let it decant for an hour or so in order to get a good level of complexity and balance.

I personally love Cabernet Sauvignon as it is a very flavorful wine with high tannin, high acid, high body and lots of body. You should expect both red and black fruit flavors in both your 2013 and 2014; specifically cherry, black cherry, black currant and maybe plum. I would imagine some delicious oak flavors from the barrel to include vanilla, charred wood, and chocolate.

This would be a generic description, I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are after you have a chance to enjoy the wine.

I typically go to the Ferrari of Washington event, are you in the area?

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

schwoo and soulsea like this.
  8. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
  9. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Very nice! I don’t think I’ve had the 2010.

soulsea likes this.
  10. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  11. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    SCFerrari, Camp Freddie and soulsea like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had a bottle of 2015 Dominus in Florida last week and honestly, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I expected to. I was worried my palate was broken. Then I had a bottle of Darioush Cab at dinner and it fantastic.

13. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    2015 is a triple 100 rated wine. I have had several bottles and they are always magical. Perhaps something was wrong with your bottle? Maybe is was kept in an uncontrolled environment? I recommend you try a 2015 again. 2013 is another amazing vintage, and 2016 is also very good.

Darioush is delicious as well, but I would say not at the same level as Dominus. I feel the the body, the color, and the flavors on the Dominus are a step or two above the Darioush. There is a precision/balance to the Dominus that I don’t think you get with the Darioush.

Darioush has been tough to find lately, I’m down to one case. Do you have a good source?

SCFerrari likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I felt the Dominus had to be slightly off. Tasted good, but not delicious. A hint of tartness to it. frustrating as I was looking forward to it. The Darioush blew me away though. Far better than I expected. Perhaps it just fit me well.

I bought a case from Yiannis this weeek.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  15. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I’m a big fan of Dominus, so last week we did a blind tasting with Bond Vecina and a Dominus, both 2016.

Knowing Dominus well, I was pretty sure that I had the Dominus figured out. I was heart broken when I scored the Bond higher. Although it makes sense for the Bond to be superior, I typically tend to root for the underdog.

Is Yiannis online? Not familiar with them.

soulsea likes this.
  16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    yea, google Yiannis Wine

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Stephanie, Pis7a2020 and Scudmsl like this.
  20. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  21. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    WHipround, Scudmsl, j34 and 2 others like this.
  22. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    surfwolf and PappyDewBoston like this.
  23. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  24. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Absolutely the Wagner family knows how to make good wines!!!!!
    I just picked up another case of 2016 Caymus Special Selection in O.W.C., and six bottles of 2017 Far Niente Cabernet.
    Hopefully I can have some upscale dinner parties soon.......

Stephanie likes this.
  25. X60pilot

X60pilot Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Curtis M
    SCFerrari, Stephanie and Pis7a2020 like this.