Coolant change today. Rainbow - red | FerrariChat

Coolant change today. Rainbow - red

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Mar 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    First coolant swap dome today. Old stuff was looking a bit muddy and not sure what color it was. Could have been green and orange mixed, not sure. So I drained, flushed, and installed BD chemical flush and went for a 50mi drive. Then flushed that out with tap water and then filled with beck Arnley red OAT coolant, and distilled water. System took 1 gal coolant, 1gal water, and a pint of water wetter fit in too so, perfect!
    I feel like my 456 makes a lot of heat, it heats up just idle rather quickly, and it seems to develop a lot of vapor pressure too. How does the car maintain proper vapor pressure anyway? The overflow bottle cap doesn’t seem like it is a precision pressure blow off. Is it? I also cracked the stat air bleed, but I didn’t take the stat out and test it, which I already sort of regret.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did you do the WSM bleed procedure with the heater turned full on?

3. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I did, as I usually do with any vehicle, but my owners manual says full cold AC which I thought was odd. My ac don’t work so I forwent that lol. I never really understood why full heat matters, I think it only matters to force mixing valve to open hot line but maybe they say use fan to ensure it really moves? I dunno. But it mades plenty of hot air and water. I did wish they had informed me that you dont need to remove the from belly ban to get to the drain valve but oh well.
    Also, ended up driving over a full gallon of coolant and exploded it, oops. Oh well still saved a bunch of $ over having a shop do it lol.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, full heater on to open the valve and circulate the coolant through the system. AC on would not do as much even though it does mix hot and cold air.