Diff project | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Diff project

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tuplakoo, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Manufacturing failure, yes even Ferrari makes them and these have nothing to do with how car is used. I suspect all these diff's will fail, chainge them out!

2dinos and turbo-joe like this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as mel always said ( when he still had his TR ):
    it is not a question if the diff will break - only when

2dinos likes this.
  3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Haha, I certainly can prove to the contrary but if that is the propaganda that you want everyone to believe then you have every
    right to voice your opinion and you are a smart guy for sure. No need to scare future Ferrari TR owners in my opinion. If you want to replace it on your first engine
    out and have the money then go for it. It certainly gets you extra insurance and peace of mind. If I do another TT car I will do it.
    As for the 4 I have owned over the past 25 years, one being a twin turbo and zero differential problems...well, speaks for itself : )
    Its not luck and I certainly did not accidentally get a "better" one at the factory.

4. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I was told about one car in Norway that have had three broken diff's, you know; official service can only replace genuine parts and third one was bad.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Amazing the negligence that these cars receive. Money does not buy common sense or a mechanical aptitude. That's for sure.

6. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I asked not one, not two, but three factory trained mechanics—all of whom were trained when TRs were still new at the dealerships, and who have probably 100 years of combined experience working on them. All three said the same thing, which was effectively, “not a big deal, don’t worry about it.” Of course, all three could have profited handsomely by making it a big deal, so...
    YMMV

MOSS likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    MOSS
    you are sure not one of your diffs have been broken without your notice?
    remember shamile´s car. after he sold it to the new owner there was oil leaking from the left diff cover. and the new owner was not driving much until leaking.
    I think the diff problem is like las vegas: you can win and you can loose.
    I myself like to be on the safe way with only changing the diff before more will break

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Maybe a dumb question - is the 512TR differential the same as a Testarossa differential? I don’t read about as many 512TR failures.

I have shop manuals for both cars and the 512TR manual has a somewhat better (but slightly different) explanation of the preload process.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just now you only get from ferrari the diff no. 155099 for all TR, the 512 TR and the 512 M
    have a look at eurospares co uk and you will see this. but for the 512 TR there was in once the no.146769
    the 155099 seems to be original in the 512 M? but not have been in the TR 85 and 90
    all diffs are matching to all TR´s and also all 512 BB and 512 BBi and also the 365 GT4 BB
    but there are a lot of aftermarket manufacturers, much cheaper than the original

10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I believe the 512M was upgraded.

fridolin_pt likes this.
  11. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I know where 3 of the 4 are and the twin turbo. All good with no problems. Guys this amount of reported breakage is unheard of. 20 years ago you never heard of one breaking. My concern is more money in the economy and non car guys buying these cars to hotdog around and say "they own a Ferrari" but do not understand what they have. Its abuse that is killing these cars 90 percent of the time, not a flaw in the differential.

V4NG0 likes this.
  12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Again, let me say that an exotic car typically has a light duty differential unlike a 9 inch Ford. Shocking it with rough synchronized rev shifting , burn outs, jack rabbit take offs will tear them up. The answer is take it easy. Spirited driving is fine but stay away from shocking it. If you ignore all of this then buy yourself a handful of beefed up parts and let it rip!

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Only 94TR is upgraded and the M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZORED likes this.
  14. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks, I am curious why it seems that 512TRs seem to suffer fewer failures, even with more power. Either the factory learned to weld better after 1991, the cars are newer, or, as they are generally more expensive, they are bought and used by different people.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Different diff.

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd agree that my unscientific data collection here is that TR seem to crack the weld and then break the side cover out, while 512TR still sometimes crack the weld, but don't break the side cover as often. Wonder if they made some design changes to better prevent the two pieces (if cracked) from rotating relative to each other when cracked -- does anyone have a picture of the two cracked pieces from an early TR?

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I knew the 94 had ABS which is cool and other upgrades but did not know they got the M differential. These units also got better, stronger propeller shafts.

18. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    512BB - Early Testarossa - 512TR

BB got better finish, weld is machined, but more later cars, less machining and worse job done.
    [​IMG]

I would think there as variasions with temperature treatment and that might make difference, between units, but more I would think age, usage and resonance, more kilometers would make bigger difference.

19. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I changed my BBi diff carrier. When I learned about this problem, I didn't enjoy driving her. Every little noise made me fear the worst. There's enough common feedback to support the concern. True, I have no idea how she was driven regardless of the beautiful condition. Was it smooth? Who knows? This just compounded the anxiety. After changing, I just don't think about it and just love the music from that magnificent engine.

20. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Just got the diff out of my '84 BBi. Visually it is OK, but I'm going to have it X-rayed and magnafluxed just to make sure there are no "cracks" or fatigue points. I'm going with; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Plus I can save some $.
    Going to do the same with the transmission shaft.

I've never driven the car hard, except for some spirited highway use and some touring laps on the track, so hopefully everything will be OK.

Supernaut likes this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on a BB or BBi I never had a broken diff - until now

22. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Any details you can offer?

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I have written already: never had a broken diff on a BB or BBi.
    only TR serie ( so tr, 512 TR and also one 512M )

24. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Oh..OK. I misunderstood your post.
    I thought it meant you'd never had a failure on a BB or BBi until now...and now you have..

25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    That went lost from the German translation....bis jetzt....

turbo-joe likes this.