Which Sanden compressor? | FerrariChat

Which Sanden compressor?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Since I have to remove the York compressor to change the cam belts, and because my AC system is leaking and needs work, I thought I'd install a Sanden on my '89 328.

I have seen posts in the past re this but the links are dead to the sites and the listing I find for Sandens have different model numbers than any listed in the links. I contacted Retro-air because they list a compressor kit for the 308/328 which included compressor, bracket, assorted fittings and the belt. Sounds perfect BUT...

I called retro air and as it turns out, they don't exist! The sales rep told me that Retro air was purchased by Classic Air a few years ago and they no longer offer that compressor kit and was unfamiliar with it. They offer a complete 308 AC system kit but some of those parts are not useable in the 328. Unfortunately, the old retro air web page is still up and there is no indication that it is outdated.

SO...can somebody give me a link to a current Sanden-type compressor, bracket and belt that is correct for the 3x8. Thanks!

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'm ready to charge my system after replacing everything except for the evaporator coil and expansion valve. One thing I learned is that according to Sanden the SD5 series compressors are rated to run either direction and the SD7 series is rated only for one direction - not our direction. I learned this because I bought an SD7. Lots of people have run them backwards with no issues, but if I had to do it again (and I might!) I'd get an SD5. So I'd offer up my model number of what I used, but don't get it.

I also bought a bracket off of eBay that allows the compressor to rotate for belt tension. I couldn't mount this bracket in a way that worked. I wound up going with a flat plate with ears. These seem to be pretty widely available.

steven_ew likes this.
  3. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    According to the Sanden manual, some of the SD5 run CW. Also, the SD5 series have 2 pistons less.
    I use the SD7H13 provided in the kit from Retroair. My next project is moving it to where the air pump compressor was mounted and use the available pulley on the exhaust cam. That way I can replace belts easily. I've already rerouted the refrigerant aluminum pipe that runs in front of the bank. No more coolant on the floor.

More info about the rotation and compressors used in our cars is in this thread:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-with-sankyo-sanden-a-c-compressor.495885/page-3
    https://www.sanden.com/productlibrary/manuals/SD_Service_Guide_Rev_2.pdf
    https://www.sanden.com/objects/Sanden%20Singapore%20SD7%20Series%20Compressor%20Catalogue.pdf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I rebuilt my entire AC system, I bought the Sanden Compressor from Italian Car Parts for around 600.00. I dont know which model number, but Charles said it was the correct one for a 328, the bracket he sold me did not work and had to be modified, Im sure another parts outfit can supply the correct bracket, the mechanic was able to make mine work, he and Charles from ICPs emailed photos back and forth to see what the issue was, you can ask him about that, he may or may not have resolved the issue with the bracket he sold me along with the compressor. I also had to run new lines to accommodate the R134. I hope this helps. My original compressor was a York.

Thank you

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks, Gino, I'll check with Italian car parts.

Mario - thanks for posting that pic! Unfortunately, I cannot find that model (7312) on the list of current Sandens. :( Looks like they replaced it with something else but without specific info as to the precise unit, I don't want to take a chance and order the wrong item. ClassicAir does not specify the actual compressor they supply with the 308 kit, which would have been helpful.

I'll continue to do some research but if I've had no luck by the time I ready to reinstall the compressor, I'll probably just put the York back in. :(

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I bought my compressor and bracket from GT Car Parts. Comes with a CNC machined correct pulley and uses stock mounts and tensioner. Can send a photo this weekend. It is nicely made.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Call Polar Bear in Florida. I just ordered one for a 328. Comes with all brackets etc that you need. I paid $480 for the compressor and brakets. You have to source the belt tho..

8. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Mike,
    My Classic Auto-Air kit had the Sanden 7312 compressor, also.
    Mike Flanagan

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    https://sandenaftermarket.com/about-sanden/sanden-faq/#:~:text=Sanden%20standard%20compressors%20rotate%20in,contact%20your%20official%20Sanden%20representative.
    "Sanden standard compressors rotate in a clockwise direction only with the exception of SD5 Sanden models that can run in both clockwise and counter clockwise direction."
    Wow, I can't imagine putting AC compressor load on the timing belts. Are you sure about this?

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That sounds great. For sure I'm a little concerned about running the Polyflex belt in the standard A belt groove. Just like running the SD7 backwards, people are doing it successfully, but had I known that was an option I certainly would have gone for it.

11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I have a spare Sanden knock-off and generic mount that I don’t need. Compressor is new with ports plugged. PM if interested and I will send photos.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
  13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The term Sanden-style is a euphemism for made in China.

dinogt4guy likes this.
  14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    To be fair, China can (and does) make products as good as anyone else in the world. Their reputation is, unfortunately, based on companies who source the cheapest Chinese stuff they can find to maximize company profit. Some folks here might be old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" was a laughable joke applied to mass-produced poor quality products. Now it's the opposite though many famous Japanese companies now have their products made elsewhere.

"...And all the beads we made by hand
    are nowadays made in Japan."
    "The Pale Faced Indian"c 1960 by John D. Loudermilk; 1971 #1 USA hit by Paul Revere and the Raiders as "Indian Reservation"

15. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
  16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks for the pic; that is a noticeable access improvement vs the York.

17. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    And it’s slightly lighter to manoeuvre than the York as well.

18. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
  19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Nice, same spot where mine is mounted, looks like you hit it big with that fantastic bracket.

Thank you

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Ah - so it mounts to the upper part of the York mount!

21. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes Mike, That's what mine looks like.
    Mike Flanagan

22. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    I don't know about you Mike, but I had a hard time installing and removing the compressor with the 2 bolts in the back, so I welded the ones that hold the bracket to the upper support 108050, that way all I have to undo is 3 accessible nuts from top and the entire unit of bracket and compressor comes down. I hope it makes sense.
    There is a big difference in size and weight between the old York and Sanden.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Jeez, I remember the Sanden being smaller than the York but didn’t remember it being that much smaller!

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    YES, quite a difference - more than I was expecting. The Sanden definitely looks like the way to go. And I'm one of the people who have consistently stated there was no need to replace a working York with a Sanden as far as cooling capacity is concerned. BUT the access/reduced effort to perform other work makes it, IMO, a much better choice! As others have asked, I wonder why Ferrari used the York in the US and the Sanden in Europe. Maybe the Sanden model at the time had less capacity than the York? Otherwise it makes no sense UNLESS AC or the AC compressor was dealer installed. The York would have been widely available in the US. Could the A/C equipped cars have been shipped without compressors and installed/charged by the dealer? Seems odd that the Ferrari assembly "line" would have piles of different AC compressors...

25. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Australia also had the York compressors..
    My ex GT4 had a York which was leaking and I replaced it with a Sanden..
    I’m pretty sure it was a SD7 from memory but didn’t run into any issues regarding running it CW or CCW