Upgrade Options: FF with standard audio, but Apple CarPlay | FerrariChat

Upgrade Options: FF with standard audio, but Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by cavsct94, Mar 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hello, I'm considering a 2015 FF that has Apple CarPlay (an important option for me), but it doesn't have the upgraded HiFi. What are my options to improve the sound without removing the existing CarPlay factory head unit? (Yes, I've searched the forums and no, the "listen to the engine" responses aren't helpful; I like to listen to music, particularly on long trips and this is a GT car...).

Thanks!

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    There are a few threads about it, it's not that hard, most of the speakers are standard size, a few members have even posted their invoices too

3. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Sacrilege in my mind. Get an exhaust upgrade and forget the audio. No matter what you spend, the sound will never be as good as you achieve from a home system or headphone with a DAC so why bother.

:)

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    If you want to keep the head unit, you can start by just swapping the speakers out. Easy and cheap job to do and you will most probably notice an improvement. Make sure you tune the system properly as well, once you have swapped the speakers. I believe you can find Apps to do that now.
    Next step would be to go with a subwoofer and amp, but that's quite more involving, expensive, and risky for the car. Plus, I hate it when boot space is reduced for an amp or massive subwoofer.

cavsct94 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You have to make sure the new speakers have about the same electrical characteristics as the original. A good installer can do this and more and they can keep the original head unit if you want it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

cavsct94 likes this.
  6. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. I would want to keep the head unit so knowing that just dropping in new speakers can make a reasonable difference is helpful.

7. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Just don't expect a significant jump if all you are doing is changing speakers. For my money, the weak point in the system is the under-powered amp which is where I think you should start. Just been through all this with my FF. Ended up swapping the head unit for a Pioneer Avic z930dab because i'm a sucker for 96Khz audio (Piano player) with an Audison active setup. Wireless android auto, steering controls and Tidal. All Amps are hidden bust lost some boot space for a custom sub box. Only thing I've lost is the media details on the right screen and sounds fantastic.

Caeruleus11 and vraa like this.
  8. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for this texture. I would assume that it is viable to keep the head unit, but add an amp and speakers?

9. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Absolutely. You may need some sort of conversion between the head unit and your new amp (levels, impedance or D/A if the ferrari unit is optical out), but I suspect a good installer would source these easily given that the oem unit is used widely in Chryslers.

Two points of caution if you do go this way -

- Your system is only ever going to sound as good as the source that you feed it. The OEM unit is not great. I Understand that you may not want to mess with the oem look, but with a good installer and a faceplate adapter it would look stock. (See pic of mine attached)

- Having seen the oem speakers, I doubt very much that they will hold up to any major bump in levels that a replacement amp will provide.

Just waiting for the logo to go onto my sub-box and i'll write up the install.

Hope this helps
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wazzer and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Whats the hesitation in swapping the head unit? The oem one is just a chrysler/jeep unit and the aftermarket ones are similar in fit and trim pieces are <10$ so everything looks good

11. gazm

gazm Rookie

May 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth M
    Hi Carl. can i ask where you got your work done. I'm in the process of purchasing an FF (live in SW / Surrey area)
    thanks

Carl A likes this.
  12. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
  13. gazm

gazm Rookie

May 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gareth M
    looks like you'll be waiting for a while longer - was hoping to collect this weekend but as Friday draws closer, 3rd parties are dragging their heels so i'm slowly coming to terms with the likelhood i wont have it this weekend.
    thanks for the link - i'll be in contact with Sextons as i think the unit is dated and would benefit with a system with car play. not sure i'll go the whole hog with speakers just yet! cheers

Carl A likes this.
  14. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Not quite the same but I had the following done to an F12 in the UK

1) Replace the front (door) speakers with Morel Virtus 602
    2) Install Pioneer sub in the rear left enclave in the boot with custom surround
    3) Morel amp and cabling connecting the sub to the front speakers
    4) Leave the rear (behind the seats) speakers as they are (daft as it sounds)

The transformation is amazing - night and day. I can even hear a decent sound when I have the valves open on my Capristo system. I've also managed to compare it next to an F12 with the 'upgraded' JBL version and this is far superior than that (IMHO). The cost was £2,600 including fitting and custom enclosure which is significantly less than the OEM upgrade (£3,552)

Done by Auto Audio Installations 32-34 Park Royal Road, Park Royal, London NW10 7LN - ask for Greg. Only took 2.5 days. Amazing service