Saying goodbye to Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Saying goodbye to Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by czlandi, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Aston V8 Vantage. Convert. 6 speed manual.

paulchua likes this.
  2. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    Porsche Spyder fits the price and performance. It's one of the best handling cars in it's class. Reliable and fun to drive. As others mentioned, if Ferrari isn't completely off the table a 308/328 seems to fit your requests quite well.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  3. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    Another vote for Boxster GTS or Spyder

paulchua likes this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think Ferrari gave the UK/Europe market as many 812s as it could, game is over, there is no replacement for the 812...the price drop is true in all markets but has a been a persistent 'feature' of Ferrari front engine V12s for a while, no surprises there.

If another V12 front engine car model occurs in the future (to me, this is a very large 'if' at this point in time) it will not be the same at all, likely lower power, hybrid assist, more GT than sport and...really quiet (noise regulations will see to that). Maybe that will your choice...if it ever occurs, and if it does, seems to be several years in the future.

As for a suggestion, NSX-T (Honda)
    https://www.carscoops.com/2007/05/honda-nsx-europes-largest-nsx-gathering/

5. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    2011 Porsche Boxster spyder. It is special, small, reliable, and rare. The top is just infuriating enough to be fun. We have a manual one and love it.

ScottS likes this.
  6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    EnzoItaly and Dave Bertrand like this.
  7. Mazda Miata.

Yes, it's not mid-engined, but it handles just as well as most mid-engined cars.

EnzoItaly and paulchua like this.
  8. Eddie v

Eddie v Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Utah
    I’m in the 2016 cayman GT4 group. Bought one a year ago, had a local wrap place put some martini stripes on it and man is it an awesome car. Mine has a tune and a cat delete exhaust so it’s a little more peppy and noisy than stock but not by much and I’m pretty sure it is under your number HP wise at stock. It has the smoothest manual tranny I’ve ever driven.

Wouldn’t fit your convertible requirement and while not done depreciating, prices have been steady for a couple years now with no real drop, even with the new gen recently coming out. It’s most at home in twisty roads with speeds of 50-70mph.

I realize it’s an f car but a well sorted and cared for F430 checks most of your boxes as well - maybe a little too many horses but i haven’t really seen them dip in price for a bit now.

Sorry to hear you’re leaving the brand. Hopefully you’ll come back again but enjoy yourself and I hope you find something that brings you joy in the meantime.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Lotus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barabba, EnzoItaly, paulchua and 3 others like this.
  10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    This for something modern else 308/328 or MX5 as others have said - last week my wife saw and liked a Roma but it still fails a lot of your (& my) criteria whilst also having a ludicrous options cost and tieing one in to the whole brand treadmill

The smaller Porsches especially in GT3 or 4 are often recommended but in particular the specials seem just necessitating the same brand games at a lower price point

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I love my 911...... 997.1 GTS Porsche ... I think it has 380 or 400 hp and is the last of the NA regular 911s sounds great and is just the right amount of everything .... one of my favorite cars....and it has a small back seat which is great ...

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Porsche GT4.

LARRYH and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I road a Haybusa motorcycle when it first came out. It wasn't any fun. You had to make sure your were upright and had a clear road ahead before pulling the trigger, and even thing, common sense made you shut down in a hurry. It is much more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    My Portofino is shorter than an 812,narrower than an 812,lighter than an 812,and lots of fun to drive in the rain on the back roads. Even tuned to over 660 horsepower,it is not a problem in the wet;there is that Manettino. It is a front-mid-engine design,and the top goes down. You don't need a different brand,you need a different model.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Matter of taste. I like my old tr and 355 much more than my FF and Cali t or 458 in backroads. They are not better cars but they are for sure much more involving And fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    A 355 Spider with a manual gearbox seems to fit all of your points.

A Boxster Spider is also a cool one but to me it's a car to own when you are 40 not 60 (if i get your math right).

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont hate the cars. after i got screwed out of my Laferrari allocation i reached the same conclusion you have reached. just do what im doing. play from 2012 and before and its an amazing experience, no need for a dealer relationship. so many great ferraris and they all exceed the emotion experience from anything 2013 and later. my 2 cents.

readplays, ross, cavsct94 and 11 others like this.
  18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any stick 430 and earlier...355 is awesome. getting better with age. so fun.

Texas Forever, -K1-, Bas and 2 others like this.
  19. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    lotus or a gt4 porsche

fwiw I agree about the power, it's just got silly now

EnzoItaly, Bryanp and Texas Forever like this.
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    or the new one that has a 4.0 liter engine and a better top ...

21. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    That would be an interesting story to hear over a beer or two ...

MDS

22. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree with all of those suggesting a Porsche Cayman GT4 or a Boxster Spyder. They may not check every box on your checklist but they were the first cars that came to my mind when reading your original post.

23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I have a 220 RW HP Busa, and I beg to differ, Ive been carving up the canyons for 17 years on this machine, its fast , and it handles better than any other bike of equal weight and girth.I have dragged my knee a number of times, and the bike does not flinch at all. It can do 125 MPH wheelies in 3rd gear off the power of its 1400 CC big block motor.The bike eats up 120 + MPH sweepers like nobodies business.

24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I have a 220 RW HP Busa, and I beg to differ, Ive been carving up the canyons for 17 years on this machine, its fast , and it handles better than any other bike of equal weight and girth.I have dragged my knee a number of times, and the bike does not flinch at all. It can do 125 MPH wheelies in 3rd gear off the power of its 1400 CC big block motor.
    View attachment 3116516

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Alpine A110 (regular or S) seems to fit your bill. Probably money left over to get a nice classic, too.