488 - New to me 488 Spider. Great decision | FerrariChat

488 New to me 488 Spider. Great decision

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ryan Flesher, Apr 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan Flesher

Ryan Flesher Rookie

Jan 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Flesher
    Last week I received my new to me 488 spider. Have driven about 250 miles so far and I am loving it.
    I achieved a childhood dream of a Ferrari a few years ago with a Cali T that I had a year and it had some issues and just didn’t do it for me. That was an addition to my M8 coupe. I quickly traded to an Rwd R8 that I still have and love it- a keeper for sure. Moved the M8 to an Audi Rs7 that blows away the BMW (for me). Then I added a 2020 911 2s cab. A fun car but was feeling a little down on power and just wasn’t jiving with it. So the search began for “get what I really want-car.”
    I drove a lot- Huracan Evo (too uncomfortable and poor viz for me and my wife), 2021 911 turbo s (fast and makes sense but not a lot of emotion), and all the usual suspects. Finally I went to a F dealer (none near me) and drove the Roma, F8 and f12 and 488.
    I loved them all- but I wanted a spider and mid engine so 488 won.
    I bought this car sight unseen from Denver (1300 mi away) but Derrick there was great. Some shipping delays due to various things, leading to frustration and anger, but all that is forgotten once I received it and drove it.
    Maybe an F8 spider down the road, but this one is a blast so far.
    My 13 year old self now feels like I have “A Ferrari.” Hope to see some Other TN F cars around this summer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Wow, stunning! Congrats.

3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Congratulations on a beautiful 488. Drive the heck out of it and have a lot of fun.

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Congrats!

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    488 is a very very good car! Enjoy!

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Beautiful and wonderful stable you got there. Congratulations and enjoy!

8. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    That blue fits the 488 spider perfectly well. Congrats!

I've heard it with a Capristo exhaust and it sounds amazing, BTW.

9. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Congrats on your new toy and welcome to the F car, mid engine family.
    Drive her in good health and be ready to answer a lot of questions.
    She looks stunning!!

Regards,
    GG

10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    congrats love the blue with the yellow calipers

11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Sweet garage too...you lucky dawg

12. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    How does the R8 compare to the 488? Have a 17' R8 Spider in the garage and think about 488 next. How's the difference in power? Which feels more connected to the road? Love the R8 but it certainly feels very computer like at times.

13. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Blu Corsa is amazing, enjoy!

14. Ryan Flesher

Ryan Flesher Rookie

Jan 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Flesher
    Jake
    I love my R8. My opinion:
    The 488 is an amazing car in that in sport mode and driving below 3200 rpm, it’s quiet and very easy to drive and docile. But in race mode driving it hard you can for sure loose the back end for a second and it becomes on the edge of scary when you want (I’m no pro driver).
    The r8 is more planted and much harder to break loose, even with mine being an Rws. The r8 feels more clinical and sterile- which I like at times. The 488 more wild and nimble and for sure feels more connected to the road.
    I can feel a difference in the power mainly at the low end but the NA V10 makes things more dramatic at 8500 rpm. I don’t live loud cars and the 488 with top up and rear window down still sounds awesome to me, and I can still creep around quietly if I want. I drove a couple of 458 spiders and the noise was a tad too much for me. Plus I liked the more modern styling and trying to find a low mile sorted 458 in great shape for under 220k was impossible so I went a tad bit more and got a warranty too.
    Steering is looser on the 488 and more tactile. The transmission is smoother but less dramatic on the r8.
    Both get some looks in a place were these cars are less common but the 488 for sure gets more thumbs up, yells and comments. The blue color seems to calm people versus I had a ton of hate for my white Cali years ago as strange as that sounds.
    Overall the r8 is more comfortable and visibility is better but not dramatically so.
    That’s about all I know so far.
    I am considering an ApR tune now for the r8 to get the Hp closer to the 488.
    RF

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Chizz and Boots like this.
  15. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Thanks Ryan. I'm sure the two cars pair well together, I definitely agree on the low end torque with the R8 not being there, but that is expected with anything NA. But you're right, when you're running through the gears at 8K nothing sounds quite like an NA V10, especially being a Spider I always find myself with the top down living in second or third gear for the most part to enjoy the exhaust note.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chizz and Ryan Flesher like this.
  16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats!

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats great car and color!

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    congrats thats an amazing color enjoy in good health 488 is a beauty and a beast when you want her to be

Chizz likes this.
  19. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Congrats - I was going to go look at this car when it came in but you bought it too fast. Great car - great choice.

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had the 488 spider for two years, great car, lot's of fun and very fast. Enjoy it.

21. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Congratulations... Enjoy the Spider....

22. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Happy for you, for me, I just don't like that gaping hole in the rear quarter for the turbo's. I am a 2015 Italia Speciale Aperta owner

Attached Files:

430jm and Chizz like this.
  23. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Congrats to that 13 year old!!! I definitely identify with that. I had wanted a F-car since I was 8. Enjoy it in great health!