Cam pulleys? | FerrariChat

Cam pulleys?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I had not noticed this in previous belt change - or maybe I forgot I noticed it. :confused:

The two intake cam pulleys - one on the front back, one on the rear bank - have what look like retainers on one side of the pulley. On the rear bank (1-4), the retainer is on the outside of the pulley, on the front bank (5-8) it is on the inside - pics attached. Is this normal/correct? Seems odd to me. I would think both would have the retainer on the same side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Normal and correct.

waymar likes this.
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks Brian! :)

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Those are called "fences" and they are meant to locate the timing belt position on the pulleys. So one fence guides the belt to the front and one fence guides the belt to the rear and the result is the fence stays put.

I am doing timing belts on my Ducati 907 and they have fences on the same side of the both pulleys. It made stretching the belt over the pulley way too hard. One of the posters on Ducati Chat suggested "cutting the fence off with a side cutter" to which I responded effing bogus. I hate it when people suggest bad ideas they never tried.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I hate it when people suggest bad ideas they never tried."

Ah, but it wouldn't be the internet we all know and love if only correct, factual information was presented! Heck, think of oil threads; if real, scientific test data was required, there wouldn't BE any oil threads! :p

Saabguy and Brian Harper like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not requiring scientific data, just that you have tried it and see how bad of an idea that was "cutting the side fence off with a side cutter." It would leave sharp edges to cut your hand and the belts. And you cannot cut through 20 gauge steel with a side cutter.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I totally agree, it's an inane suggestion. :eek: Very hard to believe anyone over age 7 would make it!

8. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Did they suggest cutting them off while the engine’s running? I’ll bet someone tried... :):)

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just to let you know, not all car manufacturers uses fence on their cam pulley. For example the later 79 -82 twin cam Lancia Beta engine doesn’t have the fence on both the intake and exhaust cam pullies but it does have one on the bottom auxiliary pulley.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    hi mike
    can i ask when those belts were changed last and how many miles you've put on them, as not sure if camera/light angle but the edges of the belts look worn.
    just to get an idea.
    cheers

11. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    sorry
    just noticed your other thread :)

"Removed the old belts. They were 6 years old but only a bit over 6k miles on the car in that time."

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Paul, YEP...6 years. Check the other thread again, I just added some new FWIW info/pics.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.