430 - Broken Window Switch - You Can Fix It! | FerrariChat

430 Broken Window Switch - You Can Fix It!

Discussion in '360/430' started by nessus-gte, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Sometimes our window switches break. There’s a good chance this can happen when pulling them for sticky refinishing or just from normal wear and tear.

My 430 driver’s side window switch face had a cracked side tab that eventually broke from normal use. In this state the switch flops around and barely works.

This is the back of the broken switch face.

The challenges are:
    • The tab has to be rebuilt somehow
    • The tab has to be strong enough to never break again
    • I am not a professional at rebuilding window switch tabs
    • I have to use whatever is at my disposal around the house
    The above items limited me to a single option that I could think of. And if you are in this same situation, this option will let you fix your window switch.... right now. :)

Here is what I used:

I know what you are thinking... but that is baking soda. Baking soda and super glue. o_O

For reasons that I do not understand, baking soda and super glue combined are weirdly strong. If you want some background on how it works watch this:

In my case, I laid the switch on wax paper and piled up backing soda over the missing tab.

Add Super Glue. Then add more baking soda.

After a few minutes... a very strong and machinable new tab will exist. It will require some sanding and trimming to match the other tab. I can confirm that it is as strong as shown in that video above.

After recreating the tab. I placed the switch face onto the switch body as it would normally fit. I then needed to add something for the switch face to pivot on when it is pushed.

I drilled a hole through the new tab and dropped in a 1.5mm wire snippet to support the hinge.

A tiny dab of silicone glue to retain the wire into the hinge.

The switch is now fixed.

If the baking soda and super glue live up to the widespread hype, this should last quite a while. Based I what I have seen with using it so far, I expect it will. I will report back to this thread with updates.

Cheers!

Atlantic, mwstewart, cavlino and 6 others like this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Sounds great, congrats! Please post a photo or a link to the video.

3. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    With this post I was experimenting with inline images and videos via [GALLERY] tags. Everything should show correctly now.

4. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Very cool! I have a Ryobi leaf blower with a broken switch, tried for months to purchase a new switch from Ryobi/Home Depot without success, this may be just the method to fix it.

Does your fix look like it is going to last?

5. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #5 nessus-gte, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Yes, it will last. Especially, in this situation where you can build up the material on the inside of the switch face to be much thicker than the stock plastic. I recommend anyone considering this fix to give it a test, like in the video. With a quick test, you'll get a feel for the toughness of the material.

hessank likes this.
  6. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

This is a cool thread. Its funny, most non-430/360 owners would view this and say, "damn bro, just buy a new switch" (and then you would point them to how stupidly expensive they are LOL!). In my case just the little pin broke off making the switch floppy (yup, removed to re-finish...should have just left it alone or cleaned in situ!). I screwed in the tiniest little screw I could find (eyeglasses repair kit part) and ground it down to size. Installed it but then the plastic surrounding it gave way! Doh! So this is my next fix. I like the super glue trick. Epoxy is stronger but also messier because it take a while to set up...this may be the perfect combination of strength plus ease of use.

cavlino and tonyc like this.
  7. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I had the option to order a new switch for $150 from Ricambi or fix my current switch in five minutes. I would feel like a complete hoser throwing away a perfectly functional switch body that was five minutes away from being fully operational. :confused:

This method will work for you.

cavlino likes this.
  8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    TheChazz likes this.
  9. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    If you look closely on the back of a window switch, you may see remnants of a Ford logo. I thought there was a Ford switch you could buy that was plug-n-play, but might not have the same icon on the front (I think the Ford switch just has UP/DOWN arrows and no Window icon. Can anybody confirm this yay or nay??

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have researched a great deal and cannot find the cross reference Ford part number for them. There are numerous parts that Ferrari uses that have the Ford stamping on them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat