Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by jumpinjohn, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Thank you for the write up, really enjoyed reading it.

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Not to speak for the owner but as I recall he got the base model which seems rather wonderful from his eloquent description of the driving experience!
    Rosso Fiorano also looks wonderful to.

TSOYBELIS, JJ77 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you so much @gzachary for your very helpful and interesting write up on the car. I think the car is fascinating and I can’t wait to try it!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #179 gzachary, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Actually thank you for speaking me and saving one extra post. :). Yes no AF. Thank you as well for the compliment on the writeup.

I was also thinking about Rosso Maranello. I was getting conflicting information on how dark Maranello would be. Because of the design, I decided a darker color for myself. And a darker red. Maranello and Fiorano were my two top reds for the car. In the end, I chose Fiorano because it was less cherry red than Maranello and could have a darker, more burgundy color at some of the design “creases.” I do think Maranello could be great on an AF car with a silver stripe as Maranello has a good amount of silver in it.

I thought about getting the AF but getting the lifter is important to me. I have scratched the backside of the under bumper of too many cars from “that” one time of not remembering to put the lifter on. All scratches were easy to fix and not visible but gave me the horrible feeling. There is a lot of bad storm drainage where I live and there are a lot of drainage cut outs on every intersection, road, etc to deal with sudden rain coming down the hill. It just takes one mistake. On top of that, lots of darkness with packed trees at night and lots of deer. AFS makes me feel more confident. I once hit a deer in another car at 40mph that just leaped across the road coming around a winding corner. Not in a Ferrari. In a MBZ CLS 55. The CLS had a crushed bonnet but otherwise was fine. It was a large buck. The AFS makes me feel a little safer.

I didn’t know that AF cars were getting better sound than base cars.

Also, some great roads near me. And some bad roads near me. So I wanted bumpy road capability.

JAM1, stavura, TSOYBELIS and 2 others like this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Nice review! I know the SF90 and TDF are different cars but I get what you are saying. From what I know of all the other cars, with your review I feel pretty confident I can imagine what the SF90 will be like when ours arrives. Is yours an AF car? Ah, I saw the answer in your later post.

BaronM69, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    What a perfect pair I absolutely love the TDF and the new tech is cool even if I don't like the looks of the SF90. Congrats!

gzachary and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I drove an SF90 Monday and was blown away. It's 765LT fast - or faster - but feels more stable, controllable, and drama free, but still a very memorable and exciting car. The electric mode was cooler than I thought it would be too. The full electric seats seemed a little firmer than I was expecting but that's a small gripe. I am so excited to get my Spider early next year!!

8. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Monza comparison is interesting, because initially the demand/response for the car was luke warm when described to qualified buyers. However, once seen in person the desire in the US picked up tremendously and sold out leaving demand unsatisfied based on the model unit run. The few that have traded hands I’ve heard have moved at a few hundred thousand dollars over MSRP.

We seem to be seeing somewhat of a similar demand pick up with the SF90. I believe due to the Stradale’s unveil at the end of 2019, the car was somewhat of a victim of Covid timing as the world turned upside down in February of 2020. Everyone pivoted their attention somewhat, the economic/market conditions became extremely uncertain, and the world somewhat paused with lockdown restrictions and supply disruptions. Due to product announcements to appease Wall Street, in the midst of Covid lockdowns, we see the unveil of the SF90 Spider with what was supposed to have been the timeline where many customers had already received their Coupes, but with the shutdown no cars had been delivered yet. In addition, through this time period very few American journalists attended SF90 launch events for content/reviews on the car. Hence why you see primarily only European journalist reviews on YouTube. Fast forward to the last few months, people are seeing SF90’s in person as customer cars arrive to US dealerships and Ferrari is sending demo cars around and potential buyers are getting a go behind the wheel. As a result, the desirability for the car seems to be increasing significantly and somewhat similar to what occurred with the Monza after people saw it in person. As stated in a previous post, the build slots only seem to be getting tougher to get, not widely available as rumored potentially ~12 months ago.

Caeruleus11, JJ77 and spyderman like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, Anybody that says the latest batch of super cars are ‘boring’ are not driving them at the limit, be sure to pack extra underwear.

Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Never heard anyone else say this car is not super, take your breath away fast.

What is your daily driver the space shuttle? LOL

Lukeylikey and Thecadster like this.
  11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Now having driven ours for 3k miles I can’t see where Maximus’ view is coming from. Did he drive it in wet mode?

cesman likes this.
  12. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I have driven mine up in the hills and it is blindingly fast and the performance is incredible. The only other F car thwn the SF90 that is faster in turns is my challenge car. And that’s not a road car. This covers a lot of cars in my life. Like all of them including one from an electric car company that claims that what fast means is time in a straight line.

paulchua, cesman, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  13. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Nope, drove it in all modes.
    Again, it was pouring so that also put a damper on it.
    Also drove my buddie's SF90 few weeks ago in the dry.
    Still not impressed.
    Yes, the speedometer goes up like nothing else but the 'feel' isn't there.

Thecadster likes this.
  14. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    In your experience what car has that feeling the sf90 is missing.

15. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    Personal preference. My E63 AMG has more horsepower than my Pista, yet feels slower.
    I like my F cars raw and visceral. Like the Pista, GTO or Scuderia.
    The SF90 has a bit too much testla genes; but again personal preference.

I actually have an SF90 Aperta on order and waiting on my GTS. Yet the GTS I'm looking forward too almost 5x as much as the SF90.... Screw the fact it's faster. That's for 16 years old's.

Art138 likes this.
  16. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Makes sense. It’s all personal preference - my pista I love and would never sell but for me the sf90 takes it up a few notches from speed, handling, control, predictability. My experiences are with the AF package, in the summer where the tires are nice a sticky. Never been in a non AF car so couldn’t speak to that. As soon as you put the car into qualifying - it provides me that visceral feeling you talk about.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Curious, why are you buying a car that you don’t like?

Rrr1 likes this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Good question!

Glenn Quagmire and Rrr1 like this.
  19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Because in doing so you get access to later models in the future you might prefer more?

20. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    I just took deliver of my coupe and I’m blown away. Funny how the typical YouTuber/Journalist who coined the phrase “visceral and raw” has become such a holy grail that cars must measure up too. In my opinion, that’s been done, plenty of options there. Hence why many SF90 owners are keeping their Pista’s, Speciale’s, Scuds, TDF’s or incoming 812 Comp - that box is easily checked with many choices. But, the SF90 feels like such a leap forward, everything feels new because it is such a level up. The variety in the Ferrari line up is what appeals to me most. It’s nothing like previous models that exist. It’s AWD, yet it’s not. It gives you the benefits of the grip off the line and cornering but none of the drawbacks of acceleration from a roll. There’s no heavier/weighted AWD steering feel. IMO, the steering feels as sharp if not sharper than the Pista. First car I’ve driven that makes a 720s feel sluggish. Skeptics - hold your judgement until you’ve driven it, I think you’ll change your mind and be pissed the SF90 Stradale and Spider are all sold out for a reason.

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Did you choose the AF option package for your SF90 car?

22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for the review can’t wait to get mine! It’s going to be a long 2 years LOL!

D11 likes this.
  23. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    I did not and I commented on another thread that the car feels stiffer than the Pista IMO. I tend to cruise around with Bumpy Road mode on often and that was a takeaway that I would miss in addition to the lifter. If you plan to track the car, AF may make some sense. If you love the duck tail carbon spoiler and the inner CF doors - certainly makes sense.

I plan to drive the SF90 again this weekend with my Pista back to back and compare the suspension. I have a tendency to enjoy Sport/Race but I do find myself using Bumpy Road mode. For my driving type, the Race suspension is more than adequate when I want to dial it up.

If funds were unlimited I would have done my Stradale perhaps with the AF and my Spider without if I were keeping both. Without the foresight of what the secondary market would do and knowing I was going to part with the coupe for the Spider arrival I tried to be somewhat conscious of options. As those of you who have spec cars know, you go AF, stripe, CF options, race seats, unique color, CF wheels - you can get a SF90 to $250K-$300K in options easily. With my Spider I’ll still do all the exterior and interior CF, V1, race seats, and then a unique color. After getting my non AF coupe, I have little to no interest in going with the AF option. Just my personal preference.

24. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    You’re going to love it!

25. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    I never said I didn't like the car.
    I merely mentioned I had different expectations going in.
    It's a very, very comfortable car that goes like nothing else.
    But I don't see it as a keeper like the Pista/GTS/Competizione.
    The SF90 Aperta is different to me than the coupe.
    And no I don't buy the car to gain access to other cars.

But again, the whole point here is personal preference.