Which Sanden compressor? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which Sanden compressor?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    A curiosity question since I still use a York compressor:

Are Sanden compressor clutches available with pulleys that have our 11M (11mm wide) belt profile?

(There are no York clutches that have 11M profile pulleys.)

2. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I found those bolts difficult to deal with, too. I exchanged the ones supplied to Carriage Bolts that made the second wrench, not so necessary.
    Mike Flanagan

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I tried to call GT Car Parts using the number on their website and three attempts (to be sure I dialed correctly) resulted in reaching the Phoenix Church of Christ. They did not have any air conditioner parts! :)

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I just called the number and was answered by GT Car Parts. Maybe this was a sign from a greater power?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Since I was running new hoses I ran them the other way around the fuel tank and up to the compressor. My thought is that I can undo the bolts and set the whole thing outside the car on the floor for my next service or engine removal and not disconnect the lines. Fender liner fits fine, no issues so far.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Aus_yz and steven_ew like this.
  6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yeah, I guess the greater power wanted me to order from Polar Bear...so I did! ;)

7. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    I ran mine under the tank, and like Brian said, you undo the bolts and the whole unit sits on the floor without having to disconnect the lines. I guess great minds think alike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2cam likes this.
  8. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I wish I had thought of that!
    Mike Flanagan

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I like the under-fuel tank hose routing! :)

A casual observation re the Sanden which, I assume (hope) has never been an issue...

The upper mount for the York, which is also used for the Sanden, attaches directly to the belt cover. It does not use a 'through-bolt' or stud to the engine block. The lower mount for the York does use two studs that mount to the engine block but that mount is not used for the Sanden.

So the weight of the Sanden compressor plus the load/tension of the belt is totally on the aluminum cam belt cover. This seems like it would be a problem over time - either cracking the cover or loosening/stripping the studs out of the cover.

I guess it's not a problem though...Sandens have been running this way since the (euro) cars were built and on all York conversions for years... right? ;)

10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Du_Man, Brian Harper and 2cam like this.
  11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That GT Car Parts set up looks great. I wish I'd known about that six months ago!

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yeah - looks nice. I think I'll fabricate some sort of support for the Sanden mount I'm getting to use at least one of the studs into the engine block.

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Brian, do you have any idea, offhand, of how many feet of refrigerant hose total you bought to make that setup?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You also need an expensive line crimper ...

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #40 mike996, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Yes, I'm buying one...

Actually, the way it looks right now, I'm not going to get to replumbing the AC system or installing the EZ-steer power steering right now. We are leaving for the UK in about 4 weeks and I'd rather get the car up and running for a while before we leave. We won't return until December so the AC/PS will probably be a 2022 project.

So I'm just going to fit the AC compressor and the belt leave the current hoses disconnected/taped. If I can't easily find the proper belt, I'll just mount the compressor in position and sort all the AC stuff out later.