Roma sound | FerrariChat

Roma sound

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Phoenixmontreal, Apr 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phoenixmontreal

Mar 12, 2021
    So, I have been asked a lot about the sound and read that many are disappointed. For me, I love it, but then again not looking for a loud entrance. Everyone to their own liking , I think it fits the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RamsHmb, SAT4RE and SVCalifornia like this.
  2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    very muffled sound as with F8 and others. I liked the car a lot it was powerful and robust but sound was a big negative.

3. Vintageignition

Vintageignition Karting

Dec 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Mancini
    Interested to see what Novitec comes up with. Their system for the portofino is a huge difference for those wanting a louder grunt.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    For me it is not about the loud entrance, but rather the sound signature itself.

It does not sound like the F8 or SF90, it does not sound like a Porto. To me it is just a generic sound with very little character.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Agreed.

It’s a shame that the new Portofino M will share the same exhaust system as the Roma.

At least with the outgoing model, sports cats etc were easy to do without messing around with the ECU.

With the new model, as the car will be using a GPF, it won’t be as straightforward. Removing the GPF filter will certainly require some kind of ECU remap (thus potentially causing problems with the warranty).

I hope Novitec and the others can come up with a workaround.

I recently cancelled an order for a Portofino M for this very reason.

I had already upgraded my existing Portofino exhaust and could not accept having to go backwards.

6. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I took the Roma on a decent test drive and was impressed by the sound. I was actually expecting it to be quieter and less aggressive sounding than it was. I definitely don't think you're going to be left wanting, unless your concern is matching the sound of a NA engine or impressing people who think Ferraris must scream like banshees.

SirJonv812, Phoenixmontreal and gw32 like this.
  7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    to tell that for roma, idk, one should have very bad ears or taste or both. the auto gear is bit useless it is shifting like to 6th or 7th gear at 35mph but sound was also bad when manual shifting and with all mannettino modes.

love the car, has many great features but sound is not one them.

8. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Agreed. The technology advancements are welcome. But the whole experience is seriously
    let down by the poor sound. That’s not what I really want from a Ferrari. The ‘special’ feeling is diminishing quickly.

If I need a smooth ride that is quiet, refined and
    filled with tech, I would go for an S-Class.

9. Phoenixmontreal

Mar 12, 2021
    Well, for what it’s worth, I agree with everyone who thinks it has enough sound and those who don’t. However, I bought this car for me and not anybody else’s definition of what this car should do. Frankly, and I hear the boos combining:), if I wanted sound I would have gotten another vanquish or Superlegera, that is sound. I got this Ferrari and have fallen in love with it because it is a new leaf for Ferrari in design and does not look like all the rest, especially the interior. I bought it, because while it is not an F8 or any of the mid engines, it’s super fun to drive. It does everything Really well, and I am loving it! Hope you all pick the model you will fall in love with. Thanks for all the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GPM, 008, fanboy01 and 7 others like this.