812 VS Rumors | Page 236 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I always welcome corrections, but in this case I am unable to locate any such reference, can you provide?

For instance,
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/pagani/huayra-roadster/driving

"With 753bhp and 738lb ft of torque, it’s got a similar power-to-weight ratio to a McLaren P1. And that means it’s searingly, shockingly fast."

753 * 1.355 (ft/lb -> nm approx. conversion ratio) = 1020nm or so, you are talking about 812 ft/lb torque to get to 1100nm

Can you provide that reference?

of2worlds likes this.
  2. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    The engine in the "regular" Huayra Roadster is not the most evolved version of the M158.

Huayra Roadster BC (800 PS, 1,050 Nm):
    https://www.pagani.com/press/huayra-roadster-bc/

Pagani Imola (827 PS, 1,100 Nm):
    https://www.pagani.com/press/pagani-imola/

Pagani Huayra Tricolore (840 PS, 1,100 Nm):
    https://www.pagani.com/press/the-pagani-huayra-tricolore/

of2worlds likes this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ah, I was referring to the original Huayra, not the Tricolore, thank you!
    https://www.pagani.com/huayra-bc/
    (1000nm on link above, it's curious the TopGear link on the Roadster has inaccurate values vis-a-vis Pagani press release)

4. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    You were referring to the Huayra Roadster, whose engine does make 764 PS / 1,000 Nm.

The original Huayra Coupe's engine made 730PS / 1,000 Nm.

In your Top Gear link, the values are correct for the Roadster, but in general, Top Gear (and pretty much any other publication / channel) are often incorrect about all sorts of things, both quantifiable and subjective, especially when it comes to these super low production cars. I speak from first hand experience.

The Huayra lineage is as follows:

Huayra Coupe -> Huayra BC Coupe -> Huayra Roadster -> Huayra Roadster BC

The Imola (5 units) and the Huayra Tricolore (3 units) are also in the same family.

There is also a one-off Huayra with the 1,100 Nm engine.

This is getting off-topic though.

5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m definitely no engine expert. But how is it that you can only increase torque with a displacement increase? Several versions of the small block Chevy 350 have a wide variation of torque and power - none being forced induction. Makes no sense to me that the only variability for torque is displacement or manifold pressures.

But I am definitely a Luddite.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Performance expectations for this car are high from what is being discussed. Glad to see folks talking about the engine. Will definitely have solid lifters, cam work, special coatings, maybe work with compression, compensation for cooling, new injection and spark, fancy materials. Sounds great. Ferrari will not disappoint. The body - well it is said to be more aggressive by those that have seen it but that was said of the 812 and it is what it is. That whirling sound in the videos still has not been addressed here. Maybe a red herring.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It rarely has anything to do with it. The theoretical and specific torque potential does not change just because rpm go up.

It will not have 900 nm and most certainly not in a configuration that makes peak power at 9500 rpm. If that was to be the case, we are looking at over 1100 hp.

Even if torque remains unchanged, it would have to make almost 900 hp to rev to 9500 rpm.

Unless they decrease the displacement, reduce efficiency, or are making some big stinky power, I don't think 10k rpm is realistic. It currently makes 789 at 8500, so by that torque potential,
    10k rpm means about 930 bhp, and when you move the peaks up, you also lose power under the curve. In order for the car to retain its drivability and bottom torque, they would need to widen the power peak spread, and that is difficult at best.

Essentially they would have to keep peak torque at where it is now, but push the power peak up. No way that is possible to this extent without redoing the entire engine architecture.

It's not difficult to push peaks up together as long as the heads and intake can support the power. All you need is more duration on the intake and increased LSA. The 812 engine spinning at 9500 rpm still has less piston speed than either the 458 or 4.0 GT3RS engine at 9000 rpm.

The question the development team has to ask themselves is simple. What kind of personality do they want the 812 VS engine to have. This is why a hybrid is interestin. They can push up both peaks, give the engine an aggressive character while using electric power as a torque fill.

We'll see. If no electricity is used, I doubt peak power will be at more than 9000 rpm and a 9400 redline.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    At work on Easter Saturday and mind drifting and wondering if the VS will be 2 exhausts or 4....?.... whether there will be a rear view camera or limited rear visibility ...?... How “square and fat “ the rear will be ....?.... Imola/MM/..? Redline....?.....BHP.....? ( I don’t really understand the various intricacies of the torque curves /NM etc I’m afraid )...Random thoughts as 2nd coffee of the morning kicks in.
    Hope everyone has a fab Easter weekend ! Next weekend will be like Xmas eve ...

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Glass of wine.
    Be honest Jag. your post smells wine until Paris. Ferrari, please Release that thing earlier than scheduled. Jag is starting to drink in early morning because of you :D:D

JagShergill likes this.
  10. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Olivier! Have you hacked my camera phone and watching me !! :)

11. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahaha Le big brother is watchin' you:p

12. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Thank you for your explanation I appreciate it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    ... or Le little brother ( hybrid )

456-boy and dcmetro like this.
  14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #5889 Albert-LP, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    The NA engines are gone. Turbochargers are the future (if there still is one...) of the internal combustion engines: much more power with a much bigger torque even at low rpm, better efficiency. And no lag, as with the E-turbo (they are on the market just now) the lag is zero. A bit less RPM (but not always...) but bigger torque and an acceleration that no NA engine can face: the turbocharged engines are the only ones that can compete with the electric engines (that have the max torque at zero rpm and so have a sensational acceleration off the starting line during the first 50 yards). Once the turbocharged engine had the problem of dropping too much manifold pressure during the gear shifting, but today with the double clutch gearbox the manifold pressure is always the correct one so no power drop when shifting. The actual TT engine torque is so high that it must be artificially limited to a straight line, cutting out the peak: the peak would not be stand by the gearbox, so they have to cut it. Actually the MAGNA 7DCL 750 (that fits all 7 speed Ferrari, including 488 Pista and F8) can't stand more than 790 Nm so Ferrari has to cut the torque peak on the Pista and F8 to save the gearbox. No idea if Ferrari will have in the future a V12 NA engine (I hope so, there are rumors they are preparing a new one, as this one is almost 30 years old) but if they will have it, it will be only for "nostalgic" reason (I'm one the nostalgic group!), but tech says a V8 TT today can develop all the power you want with no lag and can leave behind every V12 NA. The new Ferrari 3.0 V6 TT will develop 650 Hp on the first step (will be introduced this year) and 750 on the next step they are already testing: the same engine, upgraded to a 4.0 liters V8, could develop 1000 Hp (250 hp/liter) tomorrow morning. A 1000 Hp 6.5 liters V12 NA is not possibile with the emission rules we have now: or, if possible, ten times more expensive.

So: let's enjoy the last evolution of this veteran and glorious Ferrari engine that will equip the 812 LM.

Ciao

PS
    The Magna 7DCL750 can stand no more than 9500 rpm, so if the 812LM will still have it (and not the new 8 speed MAGNA 8DCL900 that fits SF90, Portofino M and Roma), the redline can't be more than 9500 rpm. If it shifts to the 8 speed MAGNA 8DCL900, the gearbox can stand up to 10000 rpm.

Thecadster, stavura, gzachary and 8 others like this.
  15. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    #5890 maha, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    sorry for going off-topic but it concerns future of ferrari gt race cars. first published on a french website [endurance-info.com], at first this >> https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/oreca-linked-to-ferrari-gt-takeover/ > looks like april fool joke but according to some this is true. do you have any information about this? a french made ferrari race car ? what is happening with ferrari lately? today they are makiang a suv [tolerable], their racing cars are made in france ,what next? made in china suvs? if this is true, then may be my love for ferrari will be over in few years.

16. BLACKburn49

BLACKburn49 Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    David BENOIT
    Maybe for Michelotto to focus on the hypercar?

17. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    To be honest, I would assume that the LMH program will be based primarily in Maranello and the cars produced in Gestione Sportiva. Having said this the GT operations should remain at Michelotto. Just my 2 cents.

18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

Alberto, you know as well as I do that you cannot summarize a Ferrari by power figures. There is above all the nobility of the engine, the musicality, the way in which it gives you its energy, the weight of history ... and never a TT will be able to equal a V 12, never ...
    Ferrari's focus on power is making a major mistake. The correct approach is that of Gordon Murray.
    There is already enough power today to make it unusable on the open road by 98% of owners ..

TT6sp, stavura, plastique999 and 12 others like this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Coletta said this week it will be a mix between people coming from GT sport department and people coming from formula one because of the budget cap.
    He also said something unexpected :
    They decided the hypercar program only because it was a strategic decision and not because the formula one budget cap.
    The New WEC rules are very interesting for them.

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    288 GTO was turbocharged. 37 years ago

F40 was turbocharged. 34 years ago

Both were 308 derived three liters V8

Ciao

[gTr], Caeruleus11 and isot like this.
  21. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    A singing V12 (without crazy hp figures), a lightweight carbon chassis, what else can you wish for...?

22. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    True. I also remember in the last investor calls there were lot of talks regarding huge capital expendiatures for land in and around Maranello. Upon request Camilleri mentioned the new strategic direction of Ferrari will result in a higher vertical integration (i.e. more in-house production). So that would underpin the assumption that the LMH program will primarily be based in Maranello.

23. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006

Yes, but with a waste gaste, sound and hundreds of pounds less than today and above all a very radical approach ...:)

24. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    For me, nothing more, power is not that important outside of car racing, it is the emotion that is essential.

25. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

Btw. has anyone a clue what this new building is for? It’s within the main complex, completely refurbished and is now referred to as “Edificio Pilota” i.e. “driver plant”. Might this be a new dedicated assembly line for track cars?

https://www.dallarifregni.it/project/edificio-pilota-stabilimenti-ferrari-fca-group/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login