Help changing 308 gtsi water pump belt. | FerrariChat

Help changing 308 gtsi water pump belt.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by climb, Apr 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    So my water pump belt squeaked then shredded. Got the new one but need advice on how to get the bolts off the alternator to adjust. How to gain access? Anyone have any tips or hacks? Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
  3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#3 dwhite, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

So first loosen all three nuts; two on slide adjuster (2nd pic is it off my car you will see it behind coolant down tube) and one on pivot. The pivot actually is a long bolt, it can spin when trying to retighten, so you will need to hold it with a second wrench if its too loose - from below.

This is not a hard job, but it is a bit of a pain the first time. You also will need a long screwdriver or pry bar to put tension on the top of the alternator to tighten the belt - wrap it in duct tape to prevent maring, if you're crazy like me. But I actually have a piece of hardwood I use.

Good luck. It's not that bad.

climb likes this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you spun the water pump pulley and alternator pulley by hand to see how they "feel"? (V-belts don't "squeak then shred" on their own...)

waymar and climb like this.
  5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Mine did sfter a major service from a ferrari dealer. The morons pushed the water down tube in too far and it rubbed against the belt, melted it and left me stranded 30 miles from home. I never, ever have taken my car to a dealer since, after they fixed it.

Also it may have come a bit loose. That belt needs some tension or it will slip, not like an old chevy or such.

Was it ever changed? If so, how long ago. But you're right make sure everything is spinning freely.

waymar and climb like this.
  6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    They spin ok by hand. May be bad bearing but can’t tell by turning them.

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks. So it has to be done from underneath? Seems no room to reach the bolts that way.

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    And how to get the old belt glaze off? Fingernail no go. Don’t want to try and use anything sharp. It’s on the pulleys pretty good. I figured it’d scrape or pull right off. Not so.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Is the car on a lift or jack stands?

Either way, with a light look for the back side of the 2 bolts; one for pivot and the other is the pinch bolt which you tighten to retain tension. I'm pretty sure you can get to them maybe not directly below but from the underside of the car, possibly coming down on it from below. Or maybe, I'm getting older and memory is not what it use to be, you may first have to remove the 2 pieces of stainless shielding. Anyway it's not that hard. If you're not comfortable, try and find someone who will give you a hand and has done it before.

climb likes this.
  10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Just have it on the jack for now. Was hoping I could get it from the side like I did my thermostat last year. Looks like you have to get underneath. May take it somewhere. Hate being underneath with just jack stands.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Best to remove the RR wheel and RR wheel well liner (as well as being up on jack stands) to the work IMO as shown in dwhite's picture.

climb likes this.
  12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks yes have wheel off and liner now. So do you only have to loosen 2 of the bolts? Looks like the top bolt is just to hold the slide bracket on and the bolt closest to the firewall at 2 o’clock is needs to be loosened as does the one at 8 o’clock ?

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

Attached Files:

15. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Loosen both but not the third one at 11 o’clock?

16. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    As per dwhite's picture, you will need to loosen the pivot bolt, too (i.e., all three shown in his photos of post #3).

climb likes this.
  17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

18. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Can only two bolts be loosened? Seems the one at 2 and 8 need be. The topmost one at 11 seems just to hold the slide bracket?

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The curved slot in the slide bracket does not always match the path of the bolt at 2 o'clock as the alternator is pivoted (i.e., the slide bracket may need to rotate about the bolt at 11 o'clock). You can try it without loosening the bolt at 11 o'clock, but might restrict rotating the alternator around the pivot bolt.

climb likes this.
  20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Man, really hard to turn the crank flywheel by hand. What’s up with that? :)

21. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I see. Just fear not being able to get it back on. Looks like it’s a long bolt ? Can’t tell.

22. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
  23. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You don't remove any of these bolts/nuts -- you just loosen them.

climb likes this.
  24. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#24 dwhite, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Correct what Syeve is saying, the one bolt does hold on bracket, but you might not be able to swing the alt with it tight. It is the easiest, as it is a nut on a stud. You will get it, just keep at it. The first time is where you figure things out, the second is 1/2 the time, the 3rd you are helping others.

If you just loosen them just enough to get the alt to move, you might get lucky and not have to hold the back side. The nut which pinches the slide adjustment, I use a swivel socket or if you have a 17mm flex head ratchet wrench I have used one also.

climb likes this.
  25. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't know. I've done so many mechanical things this year that are much more complex with the aid of videos. Amazing that I took the turbos out of my E90 and changed its serpentine belt and pulley but seem confused with how these bolts work. Picture worth a thousand words but video worth a million I'd say. So loosen all three. Do they all loosen from the side facing the A/C compressor or the side facing the drivers side gas tank? I know that sounds like a duh question but the bolt at 2 o'clock facing the firewall has a very narrow sleeve. Wondering if I have a narrow enough socket to get on top of it.