Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari already throwing in the towel for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Scuderia, despite poor performance is the most consistent team out there. William, you love Mercedes and electric cars. C’mon now, we know your secretly Elton Hamdashian fervently pressing dem keys trollin away.

stavura, Ferraripilot, fil and 4 others like this.
  2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Ferrari is infused with FIAT thinking. And I'll bet that the bulk of their budget comes from FIAT.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Ferrari were the only money making part of FIAT. You’re in Ferrari Chat. Have you read any of the threads...?

william, LVP488 and Bas like this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree
    Exor is a strong link between Fiat and Ferrari.
    This is Elkan who decided the Le Mans comeback.

crinoid and Bas like this.
  5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    And I'll bet they spent more than they earned. My point is that years of being owned by FIAT has given Ferrari the money to go racing, but with the death of Enzo, the strings and influence of FIAT grew and grew. They might have, in recent years, become separate corporations on paper, but much of the FIAT culture remains. Ferrari just didn't decide to use Alfa Romeo as a B Team, that came from the ties and money links to FIAT. With FIAT now out of the car business, I doubt Peugeot will have any interest in being a sponsor of Ferrari. So where does Ferrari get the money to compete against Mercedes? And who is going to sponsor Alfa Romeo?

6. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    They get the money from big sponsorship deals, branded goods and let's not forget one of the best margins in the car industry.

7. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    The trolling in this thread is not even good quality trolling, ignoring facts makes you just look delusional and no one is laughing. Looking forward to 2022 when the red cars are again fighting at the top, these same people will probably then start shouting their "Italian cheaters" chant like an fire alarm (just the thought of it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside).

stavura, Picchu88, vinny84 and 4 others like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Sorry, but I find that statement utterly stupid.

Why are they in the F1 business, if not to try their best every year ?

Boomhauer, Texas Forever and INRange like this.
  9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So, F1 has achieved the position where a team that sandbags is rewarded with development tokens.
    That does not seem to be "of the original spirit" of F1.

Boomhauer, Texas Forever and william like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think so. Ferrari came out of the FIAT umbrella in 2014, when FCA was created with Chrysler.

The link is even weaker now that FCA merged with PSA to form Stellantis.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Scuderia Ferrari, which is a subsudary of Ferrari SPA, can raise its own budget with no sweat.

Sponsors queue up with offers every year, and many are turned down.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Makes sense but would Ferrari really want that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    LMAO !

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They'll likely finish 4th this year. Up from 7th. Chasing a title they simply won't win unless both Merc and RBR are disqualified from the championships is a futile exercise. Eyes on the big picture.

You handily leave the 2nd bit of the quote off that in order to make your point look better. If you can't realistically win the title this year, because your car is inherently flawed and you're not allowed to upgrade it in such a way to make it competitive enough, that money is wasted. No one remembers who finished 2nd. If you have no hope to finish better than 3rd, what's the ****ing point?

Well that depends on the (financial) status of the team. A team like Ferrari can easily survive finishing lower than 5th a few times. Williams, Haas? Not so much.

For Ferrari it's definitely an advantage given their sizeable budget and relative ease of getting sponsors to the table. It's by far the most famous name not just in F1 but also right up there with the most famous brands world wide. So any sponsor would be quite keen to get their name of the Ferrari F1 cars.

375+ likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The point about saving money when you are Ferrari is laughable.
    I can understand it from Haas, which is pretty hard-up it seems, or one of the other back markers.
    Williams for example still seems to have treasury problems even with its new owners.
    Scuderia Ferrari is awash with cash, so costs are never a problem for them.
    For a Ferrari executive to lower expectations before the season even starts is really bad show.

Veloce12 likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This contradicts what you said about Ferrari having to avoid "wasting money".

Raising their budget through sponsorship is absolutely no problem to them, thanks to the attraction of their brand.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The point, as I've said so many times now but you refuse to acknowledge it, Ferrari get more development time when they finish lower. Therefore, since there is no glory in finishing 2nd let alone lower than that, it's a waste of time and money to develop a car that'll be completely replaced in less than a years time. Every minute spend on the 2022 car development is better than any time spend on the 2021 car that will not win them any titles.

I'm not quite sure how to make that more clear to you unless of course you are deliberately trolling.

stavura, vinny84, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You may as well stop accusing me of trolling, because I could return you the compliment. :D

What I have been saying is that the notion of banking development time to use it the following year would be anatema to any self-respecting team.
    Also, doing so doesn't mean that Ferrari will come up with a winning car in 2022 ! What will be the excuse then ?
    I bet not many of the top ones (Mercedes, Red Bull and McLaren) will adopt that strategy.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You claim to have been watching F1 since the 60s or whatever, so presumably you'll be quite knowledgeable on the subject.

You come on a Ferrari forum and accuse the team of being losers for focusing on 2022. When explained to you why focusing on 2022 is actually smart all things considered, you continue on with your narrative of Ferrari being losers, without giving any counter argument, just brushing all facts aside as ''speculation''.

I would say focusing on a year where there is nothing real to be gained by continuing development of a car in order to finish 3rd at best, is stupidity, as nothing is gained. A bit more money (that the team doesn't need) and erm...who celebrates finishing 3rd in the WCC again? Haas probably would.
    That's an entirely different argument. However, if 2022 is another failure and their excuse is ''well, we tried to win the 2021 championship with our car that started out a second a lap slower therefore we lagged behind in the 2022 car development'', anyone with half a brain would accuse Ferrari of being pretty damn stupid.
    Lets see:
    Red Bull and Mercedes won't adopt that strategy because they're the ones actually fighting for the title. Giving up now for either would be the height of stupidity.
    Mclaren, unlike Ferrari, is hemorrhaging money so any step up in the WCC will a) net them more income from FOM b) possibility of more sponsorship

stavura, 375+ and fil like this.
  20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have only been watching Formula one for a couple years and all I can say is why is anyone watching this and enjoying what goes on? This is similar to Jimmy J winning 5 nascar's in a row when they went to the current format. please tell me why the powers to be at F1 like this? If Fords are winning they adjust the rules to even things out. If Chevy wins all the time same deal. If Mercedes wins all the time adjust the rules and let others compete and I don't mean favor anyone. If Ferrari figured out a way to make their engine better then have at it. Biggest thing about Formula one is if you took 3 or 4 drivers out of the race it would probably be very entertaining every weekend!

Veloce12 likes this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m reading this with my popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Since when Ferrari ever said they will challenge for 2021? It's effectively the same car as last year. If they can finish 3rd, I'll be impressed.

stavura, jgonzalesm6, vinny84 and 4 others like this.
  23. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    What good is the time when you spend it A) creating turds & B) polishing said turds???

Red Bull, Mercedes, & McLaren seem to have found ways to improve & last time I checked everyone's calendar had the same 365 days in it.
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Exactly !

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The current turd polishing situation is quite simple: A lot of polishing to do, but there is no cloth and the polishing liquid is nearly empty.

Red Bull/Mercedes started with good packages already, an evolution of last years' cars. You're asking Ferrari to fix it's current car which will not evolve for next year (I do wonder why this needs explaining constantly?).

Mclaren received a brand new engine, swapping out their old useless washing machine for the best engine in F1. Some performance was bound to be gained from that.

:rolleyes:

stavura, fil, vinny84 and 1 other person like this.