What's For Dinner? | Page 670 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Not really, the government is going overboard. I was going to take my parents to an Italian restaurant. But can't because of the restrictions. Guess I'll do sushi tonight. The restaurant has a deal you get a stamp on a card every time you spend over $30. Ten stamps earn you a $30 gift card. My order for myself there is $45.

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, I'll try that. I usually buy the frozen ones which is probably half my issue. They always turn soggy no matter how short a time I cook 'em.

3. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    SCFerrari likes this.
  4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Love tougue....pork or beef? Based on size looks like beef?

5. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Have 2 pork tongue in a pan cooking for lunch meat in my tortilla's!

Frank_C likes this.
  6. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    My bad- yes, beef tongue. I corn/pickle tongue for 2 weeks before I boil it.

If on the menu I'll usually eat lengua in Mexican restaurants.

7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ok, so enlighten me on the pickle? Like corned beef or ?

8. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Yup corned- 3/4c pickling salt, 2 Tb pink curing salt (sodium nitride), 1/3-1/2c sugar, half a bottle of pickling spice submersed in water for 2 weeks. Then boil with the other half of the pickling spice.

BrettC and tomc like this.
  9. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Beef burrito. Not very good tonight. Different staff from last time.

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks great. We used to have tongue when I was a kid. I've never cooked it but there is one store near me that carries it. I've almost grabbed one a few times. I seem to remember by mom and grandma both pressure cooking it.

11. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Pickle/corn it- tastes even better.

Regardless, just put it in a crock pot with water and pickling spice to cook- with/without pickling it.

12. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm thinking of doing the calzone thing at Pizza Pizza again. It's really good. Sushi and or fish and chips are too busy, now that it is take out only.

13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I can't blame Walt. That looks great. Any dog worth his salt would be there waiting for a treat.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Homemade guajillo pepper salsa. Onions sweated, guajillo toasted in a dry pan, soaked in hot water for 30 min, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder. Puree. Great color. A tad less zippy than I anticipated given that Wiki says the guajillo is similar in Scoville units to a jalapeño.

Made a guajillo pizza. The above paste on a pizza skin, cover with a Mexican cheese blend.
    Care package from @SCFerrari arrived this afternoon, and his homemade chorizo was the perfect topping. Thanks Rob!!

T

95spiderman and Jo Sta7 like this.
  15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    had family over tonight so went big. baked clams and chicken scarpariello which ive shared here in past but also a new salad for us.
    wedge salad. so good. made blue cheese dressing from scratch w mayo, sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar, mustard, woostershire, garlic, and blue cheese. then a wedge of iceberg with sauted shallots, bacon, tomatoes, scallions.

SCFerrari, Nicolas21, wax and 2 others like this.
  16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Did the calzone deal at Pizza Pizza. I pass the Japanese restaurant on the way there. A small line to get into the place for take out. Said no thanks to the line. Tonight I'm going to go early and get fish and chips.

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a proper looking wedge salad! There's a restaurant we go to that does a good one. Tried it at home. I'm sticking with having someone else do it!

The place we go to does very thick cut bacon that's been candied and dusted with cayenne powder. Pig candy! Even though we split a salad (thank you, old age!), they still give us two slices of bacon since we're regulars. And the wife doesn't do spicy, I get two pieces of spicy, sweet bacon!

T

I.T. Guy and 95spiderman like this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    SCFerrari, NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    seeing this reminds me of the first "shortcut trick" someone showed me.

Back in the 90's my gf and attended a large holiday party where everyone was asked to bring something to share. It was a fairly high end dinner...

Anyways, my gf pulls out a pre-made, precooked pizza crust, some cream cheese, some smoked salmon, and some capers and a lemon. Proceeds to make a cold "pizza" of that in 10 minutes or less...and it was freakin' delicious and very popular and got lots of compliments on a table full of fancy foods. I had to commend her on that quick/easy idea.

tomc likes this.
  21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If my memory is working (questionable), I've seen you post carbonara several times?

Would you mind sharing your recipe? (I'd like to get good at making that and yours looks perfect).

22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sheesh folks, I just wore out my "like" button hitting finger!

(PSA - do *not* wait too long and then catch up in one go in this thread)

I think I'm going to stalk @Frank_C's posts and create a weekly/monthly recipe/food plan...so much variety and healthy stuff there, varied and very impressive dining going on there!

I think I have only one "share worthy" meal of late; picked up some ahi as Costco (for $8 per pound, is that crazy?) and seared it with Paul P's redfish magic, served over leftover jeera rice from our fav Indian place.

Frank_C, NbyNW and Nicolas21 like this.
  23. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    oh, forgot one other meal. Tried to make Tandoori chicken for the first time. I skipped the red food dye, so the color isn't "restaurant red" but honestly the flavor came out in the 70th percentile of restaurant versions I've had over the years. We also did some green beans in Indian spices (mustard seeds, cumin seeds) that were darn good and served it with leftover Jeera rice from our fav Indian place (they give us so much we freeze about 5 dinners worth after each time we go there and pull it out when needed).

SCFerrari, NbyNW, I.T. Guy and 2 others like this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yep, pre made pizza crust by Wewalka is our go to now. It's great stuff and convenient as heck. Has been harder to find during pandemic - maybe as it is made in Austria?!? - but been easier of late.

Don't think I posted this a few days ago. Finally came up with a working solution to wife liking her pork chops cooked to dryness. Kroger has started stocking thin cut AND thick cut pork chops. So, we get one of each. She can eat her nuked chops, and I can enjoy a moist chop.

Our first foray. Shake N Bake, of course. I added a little ground up chicharrones to the Shake N Bake, because this is Texas and that's how we roll. Tasted great. Kicking myself for not whipping up some Mac n cheese.

T

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    $8/lb?!? Holy schnikes! That's robbery! How was the taste/quality?

Looks perfectly cooked.

T

arizonaitalian likes this.