Help changing 308 gtsi water pump belt. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help changing 308 gtsi water pump belt.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by climb, Apr 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I see. So loosen on the side facing the A/C but may have to use wrench on opposite side when tightning. Thanks.

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The pivot is the bolt and nut which holds the alternator to the alt bracket and the alt swings up down on it. The pinch bracket is there to hold it in place once the belt is in tension and add support. The swing bolt also will hold it place and tension, but would never keep it in tension for very long.

Are you at the point where the alternator is now moving freely in that long slot? If so, slip on the belt and use something to apply pressure to the top of the alternator to press it down and tighten one of the bolts to get it to hold. Then tighten the others.

climb likes this.
  4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

climb likes this.
  5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Thank you for taking the time to clarify.

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    So when tightening up 32 after tensioning with a big screwdriver/wood/ broom handle etc 33 may want to turn on you and that’s where a 17 mm may need to be brought in from underneath or possibly a swivel ratchet. Not only the term swivel and pivot throwing me off because in my mind the nut/bolt that tightens along the track after adjustment could be used to describe either term and so could the other at 11 0’clock but trying to figure which nuts may need a second wrench from the other side left me scratching my head too. Seems it’s only 32/33 that I may need bolts on both side. Going to make sure I can get one on both sides then loosen. I know it’s simple AF just can’t see and no video. Sure once done I’ll be amazed at how simple. Everyone’s diagram and descriptions help a lot. Odd that there isn’t a tensioner like on BMW serpentine belts or the nut tensioner on my Nissan truck. This is stick a broom handle in the gap and push ‘till a C note play then tighten. :)

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Pivot nut above makes sense now. Meaning the one holding the slide bracket above the one circled. Gotcha

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

No problem, when I got my car 20 years ago, there were many here who helped me and there are folks on here who still help me today.

I try and give back and add value to this site where possible. I'm not a person who belives the cunard of investing in these cars for anything other than the enjoyment of driving one. But I don't own any early low production Ferraris.

Both my cars run great and are regulary driven. My advice to folks when they ask about buying, owning and servicing a Ferrari is; get a car you have passion for, enjoy it, keep it well serviced and drive it. They always run great when driven.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I've had A Jag, TVR, BMW, MB, Honda, and some GM cars. The Italian engineers did not put servicing into the equation, but it's worth it when the head scratching is done and you're back behind the wheel.

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Agree! I’ve replaced the fuel injectors and replaced the rack and changed the plugs, new sway bar and other bushings and various other things over the years but something about how this alternator pivot confuses me. Fully expecting the new belt to slip to and pay $800 for Nick’s WP but if so at least I’ll of taken the mystery out of loosening and tensioning the alternator. Spent so much free time fixing everything on my other cars due to the recent abundance of videos and plum neglected the 308. Wanna get her running cool before the heat comes. So far the hardest part of working on it is/has been getting the passenger side wheel well liner back in. Always a wrestling match and when it finally pops back in I’m left dumbfounded and can’t recall exactly how I shoehorned it back in. Probably the biggest deterrent to cracking into this thing is knowing I’ve got to fight with it again. The driver’s side is always no problem. Either way appreciate all the advice. :)

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    None of them want to loosen. Haven’t even successfully gotten a 17 mm socket to reach the pinch bracket bolt. Literally can’t get hand in there. Bottom nut accessible and got an 18 mm on it with a long socket wrench but it doesn’t want to budge. Pinch nut is blocked by the A/C belt. Sprayed some PB blaster and will try to loosen tomorrow.