430 - Intake Plenum Removal In-Process - Advice Needed | FerrariChat

430 Intake Plenum Removal In-Process - Advice Needed

Discussion in '360/430' started by nessus-gte, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am removing my intake plenum to be powder coated. I'll be posting much more about the process soon, but I have hit a snag.

On the front of the intake plenum there is a ball socket that is an absolute pain to remove.

Here is what the WSM says. I have no idea what this is showing me.

I had to resort to unscrewing the actuator arm from this ball socket.

You can see from the gouges on this socket, I am using much more effort than the dainty screwdriver shown in the WSM.

How do the professionals remove this spherical joint? I doubt crowbars are involved like my attempts.

Any advice is appreciated! :)

2. Spyder631

Spyder631 Karting

Not to hijack your thread but I need my plenum repainted too. Can you give a sense of just how much this should cost? I wasn’t planning on powder-coating; just having it repainted in crinkle paint to factory spec. Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

3. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I ran into the same snag when I removed mine and just removed the entire valve assembly with it attached to the Plenum to avoid having to put too much pressure on that little ball joint.

4. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    My quote for powder coat was $100. This is the powder color I chose:

supergiac likes this.
  5. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Okay. This is good to know. I suspect there is a trick or a tool that I am unaware of that pops this joint off easily. There are F-chatters here that have done this more than a few times.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Typically, you straddle the fitting with a pair of needle nose and pry it off. This type of ball connection sometimes get stuck because of tight tolerances and don't come off easy. My experience is 1 out of 3 will get stuck so removing the attachment like you did is a doable alternative.

I did notice that your ball attachment has a crack on it from the prying, Probably worth it to replace that if you can find it.

swc5150 likes this.
  7. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up just leaving this component on the plenum. There were no issues with the chemical stripping process and the powder coater just masked it off carefully. Everything worked out perfectly. :D

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is really nice.

9. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
  10. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Hey Charles,
    Without very close examination of the ball/socket assy it appears that there may be a clip/pin that needs to be removed first.
    This is used on many metal ball and socket components..it is achieved by rotating the locking clip off of the lower portion of the ball [outside of the assy] then sliding the clip/pin out of the ball and socket...once the clip is removed this allows the ball freedom from its socket.
    Below your picture I added where the clip/pin should reside the blue line represents the lock that needs to be rotated off the socket and the white is the pin that should slide through the housing to lock the ball and socket together.
    I could be compltely wrong but with the witness marks from the prying that assy should have been disconnected.
    Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Thank you for your insight Kaspar. This problem is behind me now, but here is another closeup of that socket from a different angle.

12. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    In this thread F430 Air intake manifold, Marcel removed the whole spring assembly by removing the center nut. Which I consider a brave move.

He fully removed the spring assembly but still got stuck at this point. :(

The stories I am hearing so far (including my own) are that masking around the whole component is the easiest of the available options.

13. mf430

mf430 Rookie

Sep 16, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I was hoping to be able to take the whole assembly apart to do a thorough cleaning whilst I had the part off the car, but I couldn't get past that locking washer. The nut is easy to take off, but there is a metal clip that locks it in place. You will need to pry open those metal clasps to be able to spin off the nut. Not that troublesome. Love these cars, but some engineering items complexities don't make sense.

nessus-gte likes this.
  14. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Is there a step by step? Or just remove all the bolts you see?

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Wow, shocked to see the plenum paint is such bad shape above....my 04 360 is still perfect. Is this an issue with the 430?

16. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I followed the official step-by-step in the WSM. Some bolts are upside-down, but that's the extent of the difficulty.

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My '07 430 is still perfect.

BrettC likes this.
  18. sbainum

sbainum Rookie

Feb 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Shane
    When putting pendulum back on does it some type of sealer? I don’t see a gasket?

19. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    sbainum likes this.
  20. sbainum

sbainum Rookie

Feb 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Shane
    Many Thanks! I’ll get one ordered from FerrParts.

21. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    So I'm starting to think that the WSM "guy/gal" screwed up and was supposed to take a picture of the bottom of that actuator. If you remove the vacuum tubing you can simply press away the plastic ball-joint from the lower intake manifold. I hesitated removing the upper intake for about half a year not wanting to get that actuator "out of adjustment" and you never have to touch any of that.

Undo vacuum line & rotate lower plastic ball joint...pops off. Undo the bolts and MAF done! Easy and like an hour job.

Little interesting tidbit is that the F430 stock intake lower manifold is cast while the scuderia is polished for the intake runners. Worth how much hp? Dunno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

nessus-gte likes this.
  22. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing those.

23. jerbear27

jerbear27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jeremy

Just doing this today. This worked for me. Photos of the pliers I used below. Just twister the pliers a bit and pushed toward the front of the car. Came off no problem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Your black magic is not welcome here. Lol but glad someone got it. I think leaving the actuator on is easier.

25. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    My covers are in decent shape, however the shiny "FERRARI" and cavallino have lost some luster

Considering metal polish or possibly wet sanding with 3000 grit

Has anyone attempted?

Thanks all!