488 - New wheels, tires, suspension for the 488 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 New wheels, tires, suspension for the 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 4583414, Mar 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Ok so Trofeo would be an improvement even at same size. Got it.

Now I’m left wondering just one more thing (more curious than anything):

Some people (as we read on prev messages) choose to go for 315 or 335 or even higher. Would I get even more grip with those?

If so, I’d need to go for larger wheels altogether, correct? Is it really worth it?

Once again, my use cases are: 1) spirited WE drives and 2) 2-3 track days per year.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The problem with the wider rear wheels is, that they restrict the cars ability to rotate, thus causing a lot of understeer. You need to balance the grip, not just add a ton of grip to one axle. What's even worse is that the 458 already suffers from significant understeer, so when you add those super wide rears, you get a lot of push because the fronts cannot pull the car around. On top of that, the wider the tyre, the harder it is for the tyre in itself to rotate on its own axis. When you do the 245/295 size, you add grip in the right way for added agility and overall response. If you add more rear grip, you need fronts that can cope with the rear grip.

You could perhaps, and I do mean PERHAPS, use the Porsche spec Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport R in 255/35R20 and 315/30R21, but to fit those front tyres for spirited driving, the offset will have to be spot on. That Goodyear is a tyre in the same category as a Trofeo and Cup 2 R.

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. Caddyjack

Caddyjack Rookie

Apr 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris Batton
    beautiful car. Dallas here if you’re looking to sell anytime please reach out!

4. Caddyjack

Caddyjack Rookie

Apr 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris Batton
    two people on this thread with Porsche’s they track and F cars for leisure.
    I can only afford one or the other. Ferrari has been my dream for as long as I can remember but I’m also getting more involved in track days averaging one every month or two. Does the Ferrari not make a great track car or it’s just too expensive to track?
    Also while we’re at it, would you go with a 2015 gt3 or a 2020 gt4? I like the gt4 in manual. Don’t think id spend Ferrari money on a 18/19 gt3 in manual though

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Porsche is a better track car for sure. It is quite expensive to track and needs some work to do it really well.
    The Porsche GT3 is more track-ready out of the box.
    The 458 will need better brake pads, brake lines, and most importantly a proper track setup chassis wise. Put Novi springs on it and get the alignment done right, and it all gets better. Over time, the front rubber bushings will deteriorate due to heat from the brakes. Same goes for the 488.

So in short to track a 458 you need the following.
    Pagid RSC2 pads.
    HEL brake lines
    Motul RBF 660 or Castrol SRF Racing brake fluid
    Novi springs
    A proper alignment.

Note that brake pads does not have to be more expensive than those for a GT3. Just stay the hell away from the poor T4300 stock pads.
    The RSC2 is no more noisy than OE, and made for actual track work. Stock pads will last for maybe 500 miles on a GP style track.

6. realwhiz

realwhiz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2021
    La Cañada CA
    Full Name:
    Ara Minassian
    Hi guys, completely new to ferrari and the board. Just recieved my 488 spider from Arkansas a few weeks ago. The car seems to be sitting really high, more than what I think seem to be normal of so I'm trying to figure out why that might be? Besides that, My delima is whether I should get 20/21 wheels and springs to fill the wheel well and make the stance nicer or just get spacers and springs? Any thoughts as to why my car might be sitting high and what you think I should do with the wheels? I can post pics. if anyone wants to see
    thanks in advance!

7. 4583414

4583414 Karting

Jan 25, 2020
    Illinois
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. realwhiz

realwhiz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2021
    La Cañada CA
    Full Name:
    Ara Minassian
    yes, that's the look I'm trying to achieve. It's seems like I need to go with the 20/21's vs. dropping it and getting springs.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats what I did for my Pista, the larger diameter fills the gap. My car didn't have a lift so this was the best solution vs. lowering.

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    If you’re using larger wheels and tires and the overall diameter is larger than stock you are essentially changing the final drive gearing and doing this slows acceleration plus heavier wheels and tires slows acceleration and how the shocks work. That’s if you all care about ultimate performance.

I care about performance and stayed with stock sizes but light weight wheels.
    View attachment 3159561

Attached Files:

11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I just did a custom HRE P107sc order. I ended up staying with the OEM size wheel/tire on the front, and went with a 21 x 12 for the rear with a 325/25/21 tire. The diameter is virtually identical to OEM 27.2 vs 27.4 diameter, with an improved tread width of 11.9 vs 11.2. For street use I figured I’d give it a try to improve straight line traction, without adding too much understeer. If your looking to fill the wheel gap, this setup obviously does not help with that. For track use I’d always run OEM size wheel/tire combo.

12. 4583414

4583414 Karting

Jan 25, 2020
    Illinois
    I’m still happy with 21 rears on a stock car. Still limited traction but definitely loves for stock no tune.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you can, consid1er changing the rears to 11.5 x 21 and then use 305/30R20.

There's a few reasons for this suggestion.

The first is the visual appearance. For a staggered wheel setup to look right, the rear wheels need to have the same or taller tyre sidewalls than the front. When you run what you intend to run, the rear tyre profile will be significantly shorter than that of the front. Quite sure you will find that it won't look the way you intended. By running a 305/30R21 in the rear and a 255/R20 in the front, you will actually accomplish a very homogenous look . The reason is that the rear wheel diameter will be 28.2" and the fronts will be 27" . In other words the tyre profile will look identical but you have the stagger ofcthe wheels. Look at a Porsche GT3RS. This is why those wheels look so cohesive on the car.

Now the reason for the 11.5" width is because of the tyres. That is the widest rim that tyre size will accomodate.

If you are worried that the wheel won't sit as flush, just ask them to give the rear wheels 6mm less offset. This will put the outside ofcthe wheel in the same spot as the 12" wide wheels.

Lastly the 305's will ride better, offer better rim protection and the tyre width is an overall better fit from a performance standpoint

You will also close the arch gap a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I was constantly flip-flopping from just doing OEM sizes, and trying to improve rear wheel traction. The wheel gap does not bother me that much, (although it would have been nice if Ferrari addressed it) The biggest con for the 21 x 12 with the 325/25 is definitely ride quality and thinner side wall… still in flux, we’ll see. I have Pista wheels on the car with Cups 2s for track use, these will be for street use; where the biggest issue is straight line traction.

15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Is that a Draggy? I was thinking of getting one for fun

16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    How noticeable is the understeer with those 355s on the back during street driving? Still on the fence on which way to go on the rear tires and have to make up my mind soon….

17. realwhiz

realwhiz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2021
    La Cañada CA
    Full Name:
    Ara Minassian
    has anyone here bought from a company in the Netherlands called BaanVelgen? Their pricing on the Novitec springs are really good but I have no idea if they're legit?

18. PetrolHeadSpider

Feb 23, 2021
    They are. Purchased from them a set of adjustable arms for the air suspension on an RSQ8 a couple of months ago, and received the order without any problems.

19. realwhiz

realwhiz Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2021
    La Cañada CA
    Full Name:
    Ara Minassian
  20. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is very helpful. Thanks for posting it.

Besides an inspection, how can you tell that the front rubber bushings are deteriorated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless they fail, you need to inspect them. The wheel needs to come off so that you can get a proper look at them.

22. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks. Will make sure to get them inspected next to my car goes in.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    How many miles are on your car from track? This is njt really an issue with street driven cars. This happens during track work where the brakes get glowing red hot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I’d guess about 500 track miles total thus far.

Everything is good with my car, I just had no idea this was a wear item that is exacerbated by track use, so it is great that I now know to also inspect/watch out for this as well in addition to other normal wear items. Thank you sir!

25. rolikmeir

rolikmeir Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    are the novitec springs more smooth or rough compared to the factory ones