360 - Any tips for stopping the car going into limp mode after sitting for long? | FerrariChat

360 Any tips for stopping the car going into limp mode after sitting for long?

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I’ve had my 360 for 9 years and it used to be a daily. I know the car very well and I know that it will go into limp mode if not treated correctly, I.e battery disconnected etc.

Over the last few years it’s become a toy just in the summer. Over winter the car is taken off the road, untaxed and battery disconnected etc. Last year this proved a pain as every time I went to use it, I’d reconnect the battery, let it idle for 15 mins but then after 15-20mins of driving it would go into limp mode and really annoy me. I’d have to limp home, disconnect and reconnect and then idle again for 15 mins before it was ready to drive again.

This year I planned a change of tact and got a battery maintainer. Over the winter she has been kept connected and ready for use. The last drive was in October when she had a 45 mins run and was fine.

Today I took her out for the first time this year and after 100m’s down the road she went straight into limp mode again. Absolutely gutted as now back at home idling on my driveway like an idiot.

The battery is fully charged, she idled for 5 mins before I first drove her and there are no codes. I’m assuming the fuel being 6 months old has likely caused her to throw a wobbly again but has anyone experience with this or any tips on how to better use the car as a now and again toy without this stress?

2. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Strange behavior. Sounds like an electrical problem. 6-month old fuel shouldn't be a problem, but maybe top it off with fresh to test. Sorry this is happening to you and I couldn't be more help.

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Your first step in resolving this issue is to read the codes generated. If you're limited to 20% power (aka "limp" mode), it's highly likely that one or both throttle bodies are out of specification. Sitting for months would make the motor and valve in the throttle body stiff and less responsive. When fired up the first time, the relearn would see this soggy bit and either throw a code right away or shortly after driving it.

If you have a decent code reader (like an Autel AP200), you can check the percentage of throttle movement and also verify if your accelerator potentiometer (foot pedal) is the faulty part.

The trouble codes generated should confirm this.

4. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Many thanks both. I’m sure electrically she’s fine. When using her regularly she’s flawless, it’s just she seems angry at me for letting her sit so long. No codes are thrown at any point either so there’s unfortunately nothing to go on there. Throttle bodies were cleaned and checked 2 years ago, all working ok. She springs to life great too when first started, sounds very healthy and is otherwise flawless.

From memory, last year if I topped her off she then doesn’t like the fresher fuel without a reset and then goes back into limp on the way home!

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    How long ago were the coils changed? They don't like sitting at all and this was the first winter mine sat. It sucked. Got small coolant leaks that resolved its regular use.

6. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Glad to see I’m not the only one transitioning to a different usage and feeling the pain, but sad to see it happening to you too, it’s a major bummer!

the coils were changed about 5 years ago although they all seem to run just fine at idle and when using. No misfires, smooth from start up.

7. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    I wish that I had never read this post! I got my 360 last fall and it has been sittng all winter with the battery out while I did some work on it. Tomorrow I'm going to start it for the first time ever after a winter hiatus and I had to see this post about possible post-sitting limp mode. Too bad that I can't unsee it. Ahhh.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You might try this simplified run cycle to see if it gets everything working again. Just skip the disconnect switch part since you will already have done that.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).

Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.

Reconnect disconnect switch.

Disarm immobilizer with the fob.

Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.

Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.

Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.

Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start. May have to push fob again if 120 seconds have elapsed since last fob actuation.

Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.

Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.

You will have to insert stereo code, if required.

9. KILOCHARLIE

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks, I’ve never tried that simplified method before. I will try that

10. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Went through the start-up procedure and the engine fired a couple of times then quit. Tried a restart and it fired right up, idled a little bit rough for about 60 seconds then smoothed out and ran just fine. I'm very pleased!!

I've also discovered that I apparently have to re-program the windows as they don't know where to close. Interesting.

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's the window self-learning cycle:

Perform for each window:
    1. Keep window down button depressed for at least 2 seconds.

2. Close the window in one motion, keeping the up button depressed for another 2 seconds.
    This should be done anytime the battery is disconnected.

I have a list of the self-learning procedures that I've come across:

https://www.ferrari360.org/2021/04/ferrari-360-self-learning-cycle.html

12. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My 360 only moves once a year for service for the last few years. Always fires up, never a problem.